ATTENTION: Microsoft unveils "Ultimate Extras" for Vista Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
At his keynote at CES, Bill Gates has revealed two features which are part of the "Ultimate Extras" bundle designed to tempt potential buyers to choose Ultimate Vista rather than any of the less featured -- but cheaper -- Vista packages.
DreamScene, the first ultimate extras feature that Bill revealed, probably won't impress anyone familiar with Unix-based operating systems which are already capable of DreamScene's specific function: allowing you to play a video file on your desktop. Is this a nice piece of eye candy? Yes, but it's also probably going to be totally distracting and a waste of system resources.
The second feature which will appeal specifically to one demographic -- namely sports fans -- is the Windows Media Center SportsLounge, which brings an IPTV feed of sports related media to Vista Ultimate desktops thanks to a content partnership with Fox Sports. Unfortunately for Microsoft, we have a feeling that these two features won't be enough for the majority of users to justify spending an extra $100-200 over any of the other Vista packs.

Source

soham

In the zone
I heard that there was going to be a lot of game related features in the Ultimate edition like a game manager which would support box arts of games and more. These xtras seem to be boring.

amitava82

MMO Addict
Piece of Sh!T.. you can use windvd to play movie on desktop n use rss feed for sports or whatever.. what does Mr. Gates think... he can rob $200 by simply putting two crapy features which is available since ages for absolutely free....?

soham

In the zone
Dont come to a conclusion so soon guys. I think more apps (and hopefully better) will be available when Vista is finally launched.

G

gxsaurav

well, these 2 features are indeed crap to make a decision of buying Vista ultimate. Well, if u see carefully, Vista home premium is all u guys will need. Ultimate is just for those with uber money or piracy

but then again, many more features might come too....the web is full of such rumers

G

gxsaurav

ok, i m changing my mind after reading about it a bit. Dreamscene is a nice technology indeed.

I thought it just means playing a video on the desktop, like with WinDVD, what it really is that, it can play video, 3d animation, real time content of any kind, even a screensaver as a motion wallpaper in GPU, now this is compleately new feature. No application has used the GPU for video playback like this before.

I would say dreamscene is not just for video playback on the background, it's for "Active content playback" in the background compleately in the GPU. This opens a lot of possibilities, like what stardock said as Deskscape

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gxsaurav said:
ok, i m changing my mind after reading about it a bit. Dreamscene is a nice technology indeed.

I thought it just means playing a video on the desktop, like with WinDVD, what it really is that, it can play video, 3d animation, real time content of any kind, even a screensaver as a motion wallpaper in GPU, now this is compleately new feature. No application has used the GPU for video playback like this before.

I would say dreamscene is not just for video playback on the background, it's for "Active content playback" in the background compleately in the GPU. This opens a lot of possibilities, like what stardock said as Deskscape
Believe me when I say this, a screensaver or a movie as a background gets old pretty quick. I have tried it on my MacBook Pro.

G

gxsaurav

i remember of a small app which can be used to play screensaver as wallpaper in MacOS X, & yeah, playing movie or screensaver gets old soon anyway. But that isn't all what dreamscene can do

Like I said, it's more like "Active Content Playback" on Windows Vista in place of wallpaper. This opens a lot of possibilities

Example : Check for Flash based wallpapers, & Stardock Aquariam desktop on google, u will know what it is like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom