ATTENTION: Forget All D/l Managers, Sun Download Manager is Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Guys!

As u read the title, I'm going to tell u a D/l manager which will give u approx. Double d/l speed which ur favorite d/l manager provide! :D

First lemme tell u the whole story!
Yesterday I was planning to d/l a 281 MB file and it takes normally 15 hours on my RConnect. coz I get 5-6 KBps d/l speed. I hv tried many d/l managers, like Flashget, IDM, FDM, etc.

But then an Idea came to my mind. I d/l ed SDM (Sun Download Manager) some days before from SUN site to d/l Sun Java Studio Creator.

So I tried to d/l that 281 MB file using SDM. And for my surprise it started d/l at 18 KBps and for approx. 15 minutes it remained at the same speed, then it reached at 11 KBps and remained same till the END of the d/l. :)

Here 2 things r to be noticed:

1.) I never get stable d/l speed. My d/l speed varies from 0 KBps to 6 KBps. It never remains stable. it changes every second. But in SDM it was stable.

2.) It gave me 11 KBps d/l speed while my d/l manager "Flashget" or others never give me such speed, I always get 5-6 KBps speed.

So I wonder how SDM managed to give me such gr8 speed and thats stable too?

So guys! pls try it and give the answers of my 2 question!

Download Link: SDM 1.3

PS: U must hv JAVA installed on ur comp to use SDM.

ninad_mhatre85

Journeyman
hi vishal i d/wed it its pretty samll only 300kb but i used to get speed of 15KBps and i still get 15 KBps with SDM.
with IDM it gives me 16-19 KBps i never used any download manger which will double ur download speed.
speed depends upon B/W if u hv 64 kbps u will get MAX 8KBps d/w speed not 16

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
Didn't notice any changes in the speed.
But its install filesize is only 262KB. Thats why i am amazed.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Wel Vishal,

I think u must be using busy hours (heavy traffic) to d/load ur stuff and also it looks like ur having a Dialup connection? I hv a 256 Kbps BB and i get a constant d/load speed of 26Kbps (using FDM). I dont think any d/laod managers can double the d/load speed (above the speed of ur already present net connection)

One more point has to be noted tat, if u d/load at nite time 23.00 Hrs and beyond, u usually get a constant d/load speed, also the speed (of d/load )depends on how many users are d/loading from that particular server (at that time).

none the less, its good if ur satisfied with ur D/load manager as its giving u a constant d/load speed :)

Cheers n e-peace.....

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
YES!
I'm using Reliance RConnect, which is a Dial-up connection, on my FWP (Fixed Wireless Phone).

1.) I always get 5-6 KBps d/l speed, whether its day or night!

2.) I never get constant d/l speed, it always varies at every second. sometimes 0.5 KBps and at the next moment 5 KBps. :D

Thats why I was surprised that how SDM manages to give constant speed and thats too fast-more than 11 KBps...

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
i get 35-40kBps:D d/l speed on my dataone home 500 plan in linux though windows xp gives 30-35kBps.also in matter of d/l manager i never trust anyone until i try.so i'll try and then report back anyways thanx for info

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
gary4gar said:
i get 35-40kBps:D d/l speed on my dataone home 500 plan in linux though windows xp gives 30-35kBps.also in matter of d/l manager i never trust anyone until i try.so i'll try and then report back anyways thanx for info
Sorry for hijacking the thread. For linux, IMO nothing can beat wget. If you aren't afraid of command line try it once.
I have even used it's windows port and absolutely loved it.

And how is the resource usage of SDM? Is it high since it uses JRE?

knight17

In the zone
about the showing of the dl speed it will vary depend upon the app.
in windows while connecting using my tata indicom connection it shows 115.5kbps always.but when tested some times i get around 147 kbps,sometimes just 47kbps.

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
But the d/l speed was not fake, The file (approx. 281 MB) was d/l ed in less than 8 hours. :)
Such d/l takes more than 15 hours on my RConnect connection.

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
Here is wat the net connection @ my college gives wid Torrent !!! Downloading is being done by BitSpirit .... and I am not posting the full screenie here... only the BitSpirit Monitor Bar that too widout the file name being dnlded !!!

Wid flashget 15-20 threads, i normally get around 300-400 KBps (yes its KBps and not Kbps) .... too bad this is my final year !!! :(

Flashget:
*img50.imageshack.us/img50/2084/speed19lx.th.jpg

Torrent Attached !!!!

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
tech_your_future said:
Sorry for hijacking the thread. For linux, IMO nothing can beat wget. If you aren't afraid of command line try it once.
I have even used it's windows port and absolutely loved it.

And how is the resource usage of SDM? Is it high since it uses JRE?
tried it and all u said was true

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
Sorry 4 temporarily hijacking this thread... but this'll be my last w.r.t. the above discussion... Just Cudn't resist to reply to Kalpik !!

Well, wat u'll find is not quite legal becoz multi-threaded datapipes supporting multivalent connections through several ultra speed servers and are not quite allowed anywhr... but cudn't resist to show upto wat speed i can get if I want to. i use this esp. in rare emergency conditions. And only part of the screenshot is posted coz several *unwanted* programs are running in the background.

This is being dnlded at half the theoritical speed wat I can get !!!

*img91.imageshack.us/img91/8424/temp1tt8.th.jpg

And regarding Sun Download Manager, its pretty good but I usually work wid 20 threads and it can't provide me that !!!

Last edited:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Hehe.. Nice.. Actually that screenshot was from my office.. Still dont know wether the Ubuntu server crapped out or my office server :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom