ATI releasing 'genuine'(non-bridge) PCI-Express cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKant

In the zone
The PCI-E gpus on the market currently are all AGP cards with PCI-E bridges. For tru-blue PCI-E power, obviously a genuine PCI-E card wld be the only logical solution. I heard that ATI is going 2 release some genuine PCI-E cards pretty soon. Anybody got some info on this? :?:

theraven

Technomancer
they are already out
till the x600's
that IS the pci-e range
isnt it ?
i mean atleast thats what they say in the sites and all
the pci-e cards are available in ati till x600 and in nvidia till 5900
as of now
if u have doubts in the outside market ... try contacting asustec directly and finding out ( its topped in the new series of graphics cards once again)

G

gxsaurav

Whats the use, even the AGP cards are not able to use the full potential of AGP interface, Y PCI-E is needed rite now, just get a AGP card & stick with it till Longhorn comes & then upgrade

samsam

Right off the assembly line
There is also Radeon X300 SE this too is PCI express.

But
gxsaurav
makes a good point

OP
D

DKant

In the zone
Yea well PCI-E maynot be a viable buying option rite now. And BTW all those cards are still AGP bridged cards. But shld I go for a PCI-E based mobo? That way I cld upgrade to a PCI-E card in the future, when necessary.

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
DKant said:
Yea well PCI-E maynot be a viable buying option rite now. And BTW all those cards are still AGP bridged cards. But shld I go for a PCI-E based mobo? That way I cld upgrade to a PCI-E card in the future, when necessary.

If you are going that way then u might have to drop your idea of AMD 64 based rig, cuz there are no boards available for AMD 64 that support PCI-E as of present.

rakesh_1024

Journeyman
Well, U have two options.
Going for
1.AMD64 or
2.Intel or AMD Athlon
If U choose 1, U wil b able to enjoy ur DOOM3 to the fullest, boast about it to ur friends, and will b able to upgrade to PCI-Express only by changing the Motherboard. :wink:
If U choose 2, then U are a normal guy with a normal PC and U will have to upgrade to 64 bit anyway when U will b thinking ok PCI Express based cards and hence U will have to upgrade ur processor as well as motherboard. :shock:

Btw, have a look at AMD 3500(socket 939) too. :D

OP
D

DKant

In the zone
Yea but this is a bridged one as well, isn't it?

And if necessary, I'll have to shift to an Intel mobo for PCI-E compatibility *sob* *$&@^&^Snn&!#ortle!*. But that again depends on how soon I'm gonna upgrade..

However, I guess it'll take sometime b4 PCI-E matures, and we get really hi-perf cards and the games needing those cards. I think I'll stick to the AMD 64+AGP combo.

Regardless, just for GK ;-), can anybody gimme some dates. The results Google throws up are making me thro up.

OP
D

DKant

In the zone
OOPS! Sorry everybody, I hadn't read all those 'sources' properly.

Yea the X600 is a genuine pci-e gpu. At 17K it sounds good. Only prob is, I'll have to give up my Athlon dream :-(. Only Intel's got PCI-E mobos ready..at least now.

But considering it cld take some time b4 I buy my PC, guess I can wait 4 AMD to catch up. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom