athlon xp 2600+ = 2000 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rama007

Broken In
hi guys
my first post here.

well i just bought an athlon xp 2600+. all original with the box and all.

the problem is that when i run my computer the post screen shows that it is an athlon xp 2000+ :shock: . i also tested with various softwares but all showed that it was a 2000+ with 1.53 GHz speed.

confused i rang up that customer support from the dealer i got it. he adviced that the cpu fsb speed is set to 133 so change it to 166 through the bios.

well isn't this overclocking? i don't want to get a misplaced cpu and also ruin any chances of warranty support by over clocking it. anyway i don't think that the cpu model no depends on the fsb.

please help so i can have a proper understanding of the situation and not be looted.

my motherboard is MSI KM 400 using VIA chipset. KM4M-V

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
hi !

well i had the same confusion when i got mine . 2600+ asus a7v8x-mx . ur mother board is set at 133(266) as default while shipping . if ur motherboard supports 333mhz then no probs .setting it to 166(333) will make it run at 2600+ , just do it .it is not overclocking . if u went and increased the fsb more than limit specified in ur m/b manual , that would be over clocking and cause problems . so changing to 166(333) is fine . u wont void ur warranty for this .

hope ur ram is also 333mhz or above for overall good performance according to instructions in the manual and u'll be fine

OP
R

rama007

Broken In
well i have 2 stripes of 256MB 266 ram.
so i think in order to use the higher fsb i have to buy another set of higher fsb ram. well i guess i will upgrade them also in a while.

thanks for cooling down my nerve.

theraven

Technomancer
ur ram will work just fine ..
dont change it thinkin u need to .. to make ur comp work
chill out ;)
ur ram just wont work at higher speeds. . hence wont be giving good performance ...
but thats just cuz its 266mhz .. nuthin wrong with anything

indro

In the zone
No , he does need to upgrade the ram , cause a higher FSB is not possible without a 333 or 400 fsb ram , otherwise he will end up in overclocking the ram and thus damaging it .

OP
R

rama007

Broken In
thanks guys

i finally figured it all out . i can get fsb of 266/333 as per the jumper setting. and my ram is 128+256 @ 133DDR and 256 @ 166DDR thus either i can use 133 ram or 166 . the moment i figure out if my motherboard supports dual DDR then i would buy another ram strip @166.

i think i would get a graphics card as the onboard one sucks. i chech out the lists.

well thanks again

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
well i dont understand.... i have the same config as klinux..... if processor FSB & RAM FSB works differently then why my 400 MHz 256 DDR works at 333 MHz..... i tested it (RAM) in my friends p4 ht.... it shows 400 Mhz.... so RAM is alright but in my comp at the time of boot up speed is 333 Mhz

????

theraven

Technomancer
exactly
its the ohter way ard
if u have a lower fsb proccy then it'll underclock ur ram
for ddr400 u need the newer 533 or 800 mhz fsb for the pentium i mean ofcourse

im not all that sure abt the mem. being overclocked automatically when u increase fsb tho !

OP
R

rama007

Broken In
see saurav
the thing is that u need to manually set ur ram speed to 400MHz.
the FSB is set as per the jumper setting on ur motherboard.( in my case). so even a fsb 333 would run fine with a 400 Mhz ram provided ur mboard supports 400MHz rams. ram and fsb mismatch is ok (as per my board).

its though weird that the amd cpu model also depends on the fsb. speed related to fsb is logical.

see now i have fsb 333Mhz and 128+256MB ram @ 266MHz.
CPU is at 1.9GHz obviously and processor is athlon 2600+ ..whew

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
well the ram / processor and everything else will run at the speed specified on the m/b fsb . so a 400mhz ram running on a 333mhz m/b will work without issues , but will be running at speed of 333mhz only . u can run a benchmark with everest home edition . they got huge list to compare with . if someone knows in more details , would help

@rama i dont think u have to change ram as its new . i actually paid a little more and got 333mhz within a month . but 266 would work fine too . anyways if ur going for new ones try getting one with more warranty . i think kingston give 3 years .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom