athlon 64 3000+ confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
A.the msi motherboards suitable for the athlon 64-bit 3000+ are as follows..they r based on the corresponding chipsets
i just want to know which of one is the best..pls. go through their specs. also at the url below..as they all have varied technical specs.i don't seem to understand them... :(

URL:*www.msicomputer.com/product/p_list.asp?class=mb&cpu=3(see under socket 939 pci express)

1.RS480M2-IL based on Radeon® Xpress 200
2.K8N Neo4/SLI based on NVIDIA ® nForce4 SLI Chipset
3.K8N Neo4 Platinum based on NVIDIA ® nForce4 Ultra Chipset
4.K8N Neo4-F based on NVIDIA ® nForce4 Chipset
5.K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI based on NVIDIA ® nForce4 SLI Chipset

B.whats all this PCIexpress x1 slot,PCIexpress x4 slot,PCI express x16 slot,etc etc? :?

C.i am also planning to install the xfx 6600 gt pci express card around which is around 11k..will this give any compactability probs with the radeon chipset and is such a costly card really worth it or should i wait?

D.also,could you please suggest me an alternative pci express card around 6k?

E.on the other hand how would my above config(athlon 64 3000+ & MSI mobo) match with the config. of a (P4 3.0Ghz & Intel 915GAG mobo)?
is the 915GAG THE BEST mobo for PCI express?

F.are there any ASUS mobos(939 socket for athlon 64 3000+) supporting pci express cards??

thanks..

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
The AMD COMBO WILL OUTPERFORM P4+915 COmbo hands down.Since u will be buying a good gfx card dont go for ati mobo.Instesd go for Nforce ultra mobo.MSI nd asus r best for AMD.
Buy sli if u can buy an extra identical gfx card otherwise its useless.Also u need new standerd 24 pin power supply to work with sli. nforce 4.
Also ur power supply must be over 400 watts nd contain at least 7 molex connecters.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
@karthik316_2003
i think a new post was not needed. anyways here are my answers.

A. if you are going to buy a single 6600gt card then your best option in msi is the third one i.e K8N Neo4 Platinum based on NVIDIA ® nForce4 Ultra Chipset.

if you want great onboard video then and only then go for option 1 i.e RS480M2-IL based on Radeon® Xpress 200

if you plan to buy an identical 6600gt later (making it 2*6600gts) then go for the SLI option and option 5 is the nst suited i.e K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI based on NVIDIA ® nForce4 SLI Chipset. for sli there is also a diamond series board from msi which has amazing features and is better than the platinum one any day.

B. I just know about the pcie x 16 slot. it is an advancement to the agp 8x and offers double the bandwidth capacity of the agp 8x. it is also the foundation for next gen cards.

C. there shud be no compatibility probs as such with the ati board and nvidia 6600 gt but then it wont offer a great perfomance. and dont worry the 6600 gt is a very good buy and its worth the price. read my answer to your first question and wisely choose your mobo.

D. alternatively for around 6-7k there are models such as the vanilla 6600 and 6200 non tc . i dont have much idea about ati models. you can browse the grafix card sticky for some more info. it will definitely be helpful. for nvidia cards go for any of the following brands leadtek/gainward/xfx and for ati go for powercolor.

E. amd has an edge in gaming and intel in other tasks such as video editing etc. but i suggest you go for an amd. and there is no such thing as a mobo being best for pci-express.

F. the following asus models have pci-express as i have mentioned in your other post also.

1. ASUS A8V-E-DELUXE (Via K8T890 chipset) - not recommended
2. ASUS A8N-E - (nforce 4 ultra)
3. ASUS A8N-SLI - (nforce 4 sli)
4. ASUS A8N-SLI-DELUXE -(nforce 4 sli)

D

Deleted member 5901

3.K8N Neo4 Platinum based on NVIDIA ® nForce4 Ultra Chipset <<----This is the best BOARD !!!

HEY if u CAN SPEND 22K on GRAPHICS CARDS THEN ONLY GO FOR THE SLI bOARD !!!

COZ IF U BUY 6600gt IN sli U WILL NEED 6600gt x 2 (2 cards !!!otherwise its NOt worth the money!!)
Betetr then that if u could bu 2 cards its better to go for 1 6800gt or ultra !!!!

CHeers !!!

OP
K

karthik316_2003

Broken In
could u pls. explain as to what this means:
if you plan to buy an identical 6600gt later (making it 2*6600gts) then go for the SLI option and option 5 is the nst suited i.e K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI based on NVIDIA ® nForce4 SLI Chipset. for sli there is also a diamond series board from msi which has amazing features and is better than the platinum one any day.
IS IT LIKE ADDING ON 2 PCI EXPRESS CARDS OR WHAT??
the description for sli is given as follows in nvidia site:

NVIDIA® SLI™technology revolutionizes PC performance by combining multiple PCI Express GPUs in a single and scalable system! Gamers and hardcore enthusiasts know that dual GPUs mean increased, supercharged 3D graphics and performance

mamba

In the zone
amd beats intel when it comes 2 gaming

SLI option is only viable if u have 2 gfx cards of the same make frm the same company . u can run them 2gether then . what the nvidia site means by 2 gpuz is that u have 2 employ 2 cards 2gether , n not 2 gpuz on 1 card ( though therez a gigabyte ltd edition having 2 6600gt gpuz on 1 card )

pci-e 16x slots 4 gfx cards . 1x slot 2 replace older pci slots , giving higher bandwidth 2 other add-on cards

go 4 a nforce 4 ultra board

OP
K

karthik316_2003

Broken In
guys first of all thanks a lot lot lot for helping me out.. :D :D :D

so finally i have made up my mind NOT to go for any PCI-EXPRESS card at present.. this leads me to the following questions..

A.i want to make up my mind between the MSI RS480M2-IL(based ON ati radeon express 200) costing RS.6350/-and the ASUS A8N-E (based on nforce 4 ultra) costing RS.8900/-
could u please compare these boards based on the:

1.the TWO CHIPSETS (which one gives a good fps in doom3,etc)
2.overall mobo config..
3.mobo performance
you can even take these refrences if u want..
*techreport.com/reviews/2005q2/a64-chipsets/index.x?pg=1
www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2269

B.are the DDR2 ram sticks available in 512mb 400Mhz??would u really suggest me to opt for it?cuz neither of the above two boards support DDR2

C.My final configuration apart from the mobo (which will be purely based on ur opinion),is as follows amounting to abt

RS.40000/-..pls.tell me any feasable additions or corrections..

AMD ATHLON 64 3000+
FRONTECH 400W POWER SUPPLY
80GB SEAGATE SATA HDD
HYNIX 512MB DDR 400 Mhz
LG 17' CRT MONITOR
CREATIVE 2.1 SPEAKERS(with sub-woofer)
LG DVD-ROM
LG CD-WRITER
LOGITECH KEYBOARD WITH OPTICAL MOUSE COMBO
1.44 MB SONY FDD
FRONTECH CABINET(with additional fan)
APC 500VA UPS

thanks again!

mamba

In the zone
DDR2 aint available 4 amd

a8n-e is a pci-e board , n think so is the msi 1 ( dunno much bout msi )

mohit

The Hardware Labs
@karthik316_2003
dude the asus a8n-e does not have onboard video so u will have to buy a pci-e card if u want to go for this board. the asus a8n-e is a lot superior board both in terms of perfomance and features to the msi rs480. msi rs480 is only recommended if u want good onboard grafix. in doom 3 nvidia chipsets have an advantage over ati and the reverse is true for hl2. however if u really want to enjoy these games a pci-e card is a must.

amd processors do not support ddr 2 and i think they wont do so in the near future also as they are expected to directly jump to ddr3.

and reagrding ur config well here goes

:arrow: frontech power supplies stirctly not recommended .. go for antec,powersafe etc and min 400W.

:arrow: go for 2*256 mb ram modules instead of a single 512mb

:arrow: lg dvd rom and writer also not recommended by me... go for liteon/sony/asus/benq avoid lg and samsung.

:arrow: go for a 600va ups min. and apc is very good.

OP
K

karthik316_2003

Broken In
im sorry if im bugging u too much...but im desperatly in need of help :?

1.oh!!my god... :( :cry: i never knew that the asus mobo requires the pci-e card for display...then what is the use of the onboard nvidia nforce4 ultra chipset???? :cry: :cry:

2.how would u compare the MSI mobo with ATI XPRESS 200 CHIPSET with the INTEL ORIGINAL 915 series mobos...??in terms of performance,gaming,etc..

3.i think my mobo+cpu costs goes to abt rs.20000/- incase of the asus mobo+pci-e card+amd athlon 64
so my plan changes totally to P4 3 Ghz+Intel mobo 915 series.. whats the difference between the 915 GAG,915 GAV,925 series...etc etc desktop boards in intel as listed in this URL:

*www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherbd/index.htm

i guess the INTEL 915G CHIPSETS are superior to the INTEL 915P CHIPSETS...
boy,im very confused right to the core.. :shock: PLS. HELP ME TO SELECT A GOOD INTEL PCI-E MOBO FROM THE 915,925 series,etc for a P4 3Ghz within a price range of 7-8K.pls.... :) :)

4.whats the basic difference between these types of processors...?

-Intel® Pentium® Processor Extreme Edition

-Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor Extreme Edition supporting Hyper- Threading Technology†

-Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor supporting Hyper-Threading Technology†

-Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor

- P4 SOCKET 478 and LGA755 SOCKET 755 processors

which one would i really be needing for a desktop gaming pc,i aint gonna but two processors in a single mobo..
I guess SOCKET 775 processors are the only processors supporting pci-express

5.there r many pci-e boards in msi or asus for a p4 3Ghz CPU?how do i find out which one is WITH ONBOARD GRAPHICS

6.r u sure that the power supplies u specified is available easily in india?..but my vendor says it will work and is compactable..and only frontech and gebronix r available in the market..can u give me one good reason why u don't advise them??cuz i don't have a budget of 3k on power supplies...

7.im opting for a single module of 512MB as it saves me 1000rs/- moreover is hynix ok?or i should i insist on kingston or corsair..again my vendor says only hynix and someother brand(forgot the name) r available in the market...

8.in case of p4 mobos i guess they support DDR2 ram modules..so would it be really helpful for me if i go for a DDR2 512mb 400Mhz RAM? how much would it cost..?

thanks a lot guys..

D

Deleted member 5901

karthik316_2003 said:
im sorry if im bugging u too much...but im desperatly in need of help :?

1.oh!!my god... :( :cry: i never knew that the asus mobo requires the pci-e card for display...then what is the use of the onboard nvidia nforce4 ultra chipset???? :cry: :cry:

2.i think my mobo+cpu costs goes to abt rs.20000/- incase of the asus mobo+pci-e card.
so my plan changes totally to P4 3 Ghz+Intel mobo 915 series.. whats the difference between the 915 GAG,915 GAV,925 series...etc etc desktop boards in intel as listed in this URL:

*www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherbd/index.htm

boy,im very confused right to the core.. :shock: PLS. HELP ME TO SELECT A GOOD PCI-E MOBO FROM THE 915,925 series,etc for a P4 3Ghz within a price range of 7-8K.pls.... :) :)

3.are they any pci-e boards in msi or asus for a p4 3Ghz CPU?(WITH ONBOARD GRAPHICS + PCI-E x16 SLOT)

4.how would u compare the MSI mobo with ATI XPRESS 200 CHIPSET with the INTEL ORIGINAL 915 series mobos...??in terms of performance,gaming,etc..

3.r u sure that the power supplies u specified is available easily in india?..but my vendor says it will work and is compactable..and only frontech and gebronix r available in the market..can u give me one good reason why u don't advise them??cuz i don't have a budget of 3k on power supplies...

4.im opting for a single module of 512MB as it saves me 1000rs/- moreover is hynix ok?or i should i insist on kingston or corsair..again my vendor says only hynix and someother brand(forgot the name) r available in the market...

5.whats the basic difference between these types of processors...?

-Intel® Pentium® Processor Extreme Edition

-Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor Extreme Edition supporting Hyper- Threading Technology†

-Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor supporting Hyper-Threading Technology†

-Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor

which one would i really be needing for a desktop gaming pc,i aint gonna but two processors in a single mobo..

6.In case of the P4 processors whats the diff. between the P4 SOCKET 478 and LGA755 SOCKET 755 processors.. cuz the mobos r classified on the basis of these sockets only..
again which one of these would one require for a desktop gaming pc...

thanks a lot guys..

OP
K

karthik316_2003

Broken In
guys guys guys...pls help me out...
i need my new pc desperately....
alright atlease pls. help me in the 2 nd and 3 rd questions..
plssssssss..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom