AT&T Again Enters Indian Telecom

Status
Not open for further replies.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
After its 2002 departure from the mobile services venture that was then called Birla-AT&T-Tata, though is now Idea Cellular, US telecom major, AT&T, is back-with-a-bang on the Indian telecom circuit.

On the last day for the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) to receive applications for telecom licenses yesterday, AT&T announced applying for a pan-India license to offer telecom services in all 22 circles of the country.

In a statement, the company said it would be partnering with Mahindra Telecommunications, a subsidiary of the Mahindra group, for its mobile foray. Already in place is a 74:26 Joint Venture (JV) between AT&T and the Mahindras for the purpose of operating national and international long distance services in the country.

AT&T described its comeback as 'an important step towards participating in India's upcoming spectrum allocation proceedings'.

Meanwhile, DoT is learnt to have received nearly 200 applications within the span of yesterday. Some names that formed part of this mad rush include: Omaxe, Ansals, HTMT, Tulip IT, Sterlite Group, Ispat Group, and even Jindal Steel, Sify, Moser Baer, e-network Solutions, and the Dalmia Group.

Source

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
which means the iphone is expected soooooooon .... awesome ... cant wait for iphone v2 :twisted:

utsav

damn busy...
kum se kum competition toh badega telecom industry mein which will result in lower tarrifs:D

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Well, you never know. a lot of foreign players are entering the market. So we can't be sure that prices will go down, considering India has the cheapest telecom rates.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ im expecting that apple will be dumping v1 iphones here in india by 2008 and within 3-4 months of its indian launch there will be a v2 iphone ... which will allow them to reduce the cost a little

sandeepk

Journeyman
CadCrazy said:
Somewhere i heard that the service of AT&T is not good in US
Yes that is true. Only in cities they have good coverage. Otherwise it is not that good. But still it is the largest mobile service provider!!!:confused:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
CadCrazy said:
Somewhere i heard that the service of AT&T is not good in US

I too heard that, and more......they're service clauses give them the right to disconnect you if you criticise them too harshly, its on ZDNet
Please read
*blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/?p=2480
*blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/?p=2493
*blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=903

Last edited:

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Sify applied for a Telco license!

SIFY of all the people, That is it, if they get the license, our great indian mobile fone revolution is going to dumpster.

abhishek_del

Journeyman
gooid news...200 applications..man..mast...main thing is spectruym allocation..i hopethey keep 3g or mayb 4g in mind...heardthe some execs complaining

anand1

In the zone
Good AT&T showing interest in Indian Telecom market is a good sign fo the Indian economy as a telecom jiant is showing a faith in it. It's nice hint for the growing Indian economy.

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
On Noes! I Seriously don't want them AT&T to speak a fscking damn word about 'Net Neutrality' and Money they get from it. That would seriously mean bad news for us :(

And yeh, I visit Digg a lot, it seems AT&T Cellular (well, Cingular was bought by AT&T) has really bad service and fleeces its customers.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ how dare u call at&t a bad company .... steve jobs has teid up with at&t which means that its the best .... the best ... nothing less than the best .... no cellular company can match to at&t in the US .... its God governed ....

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
iMav said:
^^ how dare u call at&t a bad company .... steve jobs has teid up with at&t which means that its the best .... the best ... nothing less than the best .... no cellular company can match to at&t in the US .... its God governed ....
Seriously.. AT&T is one of the Lead Blasphemy-Pushers for Anti Net-Neutrality campaign in US.

When a law is passed on removing Net Neutrality, The ISP can charge prices on specific website you browse!

That is, it works more like, say our Telephone Operator's 6rs/min Hotline. Except that its for Websites!

Imagine ISPs charging 100websites/day, etc. :?

It'll surely happen soon. Ever since some Ad-Blocking tools started appearing, the Anti-Neutrality stuff got more fiercer!

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_Neutrality

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
dude ur at thinkdigit.com/forums ... here anything related to apple is blessed by Zeus the God of Gods ... so dont dare to say that anything related to apple is bad .... thats the un-written rule here at thinkdigit .... steve jobs is Jesus and the iphone is the Jesus fone and cupertino is jerusalem

kumarmohit

Technomancer
If the PPL of AT&T start their Net Neutrality crap in India, we are going to be in great trouble. Next thing we would know is that IMI would start suing people like crazy.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
iMav said:
dude ur at thinkdigit.com/forums ... here anything related to apple is blessed by Zeus the God of Gods ... so dont dare to say that anything related to apple is bad .... thats the un-written rule here at thinkdigit .... steve jobs is Jesus and the iphone is the Jesus fone and cupertino is jerusalem
Absolutely correct! But there is just one problem! I dont see the word "Apple" or "iPhone" in any of [xubz]'s posts.. Heck i dont see these words mentioned by any other person except you in this thread. So i suggest you STOP trolling in this thread.. Please cry about Apple or Windows or Linux in some other thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom