ASUS or MSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

anilthomas26

In the zone
Hi ,
I am going to buy a new PC AMD 64 bit 3000+(939 pin).I have decided to buy the ASUS A8N-E motherboard.But it is not available with the dealer.When I contacted Rashi thru my dealer the said that it is "out of stock" in MUMBAI .So I should choose another mobo.Please tell me another mobo having the nForce 4 ultra chipset.I dont want the ASUS A8N-SLI mobo as it is a waste of money(i am using only one gra: card).Wat abt MSI K8N NEO 4 PLATINUM

*www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=637

What abt its perfomance when compared to ASUS A8N-E?
Will this mobo support my AMD 64bit 3000+(939 pin)?
Can I connect my 5400RPM PATA HDD to this mobo(MSI)?
What is the price of MSI K8N NEO 4 PLATINUM?

MSI K8N NEO 4 is an excellent option. Just ask your dealer for an opinion on MSI support. Returns, warranty replacements/repairs etc.

Keith

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
I absolutely would recommend MSI K8N Neo4 platinum over Asus A8N-E. MSI's board is excellent for I/O and overclocking. It's internal sound card is also less cpu cycle stealing. I don't think msi has a pci-x x1 slot. Please verify this.

MSI K8N Neo4 has received a lot more editor's choice awards than asus a8ne.
Can u tell me the price that you were offered it for?

BTW, I have an Asus A8N-E.

harish_21_10

In the zone
siriusb said:
I absolutely would recommend MSI K8N Neo4 platinum over Asus A8N-E. MSI's board is excellent for I/O and overclocking. It's internal sound card is also less cpu cycle stealing.
But then y did u suggest me ASUS over MSI in my topic?
which of the above two is recomemeded if both are available?

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Sorry man, but the info about sound card and I/O was bit of a news to me. Back then, MSI's only strong point I knew was it's overclocking ability.
If both are available, choose according to the price. The difference I quoted would be too small to notice to a moderate user anyways.

OP
A

anilthomas26

In the zone
Will this mobo(MSI K8N NEO 4 PLATINUM) support my AMD 64bit 3000+(939 pin)?
What is the price of MSI K8N NEO 4 PLATINUM?

anilthomas26 said:
Will this mobo(MSI K8N NEO 4 PLATINUM) support my AMD 64bit 3000+(939 pin)?

YES. I don't intend to be rude, but try reading the specs on MSI product page - *www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=637

Prices will differ. Pick up the phone, open your yellow pages and make some calls to local pc shops. :wink:

-Keith

mohit

The Hardware Labs
Both MSI and ASUS are good. but ASUS has a better network for service , so go for it. Also I think ASUS A8N-E will be cheaper. This asus board has some compatibility probs with Corsair RAM so stay away from Corsair.

Delpiero

Journeyman
MSI neo 4 platinum , it's the best. ASUS have a known issue with their fans. Many people have reported that they have some fan problem in their A8NE motherboards. It makes loud noises and sometimes stops working. :x A8NE is a good mobo but why take any risks. No such issues with NEO 4 platinum though. It's the clear winner. Looks sexier as well. 8)

AlienTech

In the zone
No experience recently, But in the old days Asus quality was not very good. I had a couple of dual CPU boards I have used as a BBS server. The price was really cheap at the time, only around $500. Compared to other dual CPU boards from HP, DEC. IBM etc which were in the 2K range. So thats the only reason I got the Asus. Quality wise MSI was always much better and also costlier... I still use an MSI Pentium pro that has 5 dual LED's that shows the loading sequence, this will let me know when it locks up where it locked up at. Like bad memory, bad drive, cant load operating system etc. The packing, manuals and everything from MSI was much niftier... But like I said the cost was higher... I just ordered an MSI RS480 mother board.. That is the 939 package with the built in GFX :) (Not a real gamer here)... Seems it matches the asus nforce 4 in most tests and faster than the NF3.

I think Asus became big with the AMD cpu's? They were never well known back then and you did not really buy their stuff if you had the choice.. Which was why I had so much trouble finding their stuff, it was usually still packed in the box at the bottom of the shelves.

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
why can't you take 2 modules of xms instead of 4 and ot take value select
of corsair with this mobo

also isn't asus a8n-e supposed to be amongst the best ocers out there,may be better or equavilent to msi and almost as good if not equal or something to dfi
with a8n-e

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
I too ma getting the MSI neo4 Platinum along with 3500+ veniece CPu. The cost is Rs 8500 for the mobo and 14000 for the cpu in bangalore 3200+ CPU is for Rs 9500/-
The MSI board is much better than the ASUS nforce 4 ultra board it has utilised all the 20 pci-e channels verry well and gives one pci-e x1 and a pci-e x4 (actually a x2) slot which gives a throughput of IGbps. Also the two gigabit lan give amazing throughput as they are not on the pci bus .

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Nope.

I would stick with Asus.

MSI boards are having problems in installing 2 7800GTX cards on their SLI boards,Asus doesnt seem to ahve any such problem.
Also on the MSi board you mentioned,Vdimm is ONLY 2.85V
Whereas on Asus its 3.0V

You dont expect less than 3.0V on a performance board,do you ?

quad master

In the zone
ASUS ne time.
Becoz of its gr8 service network.

Havent seen many people getting MSI here.
But ASUS Rulez for me too.

No Onboard GPU Option is there for any NF4 Based Mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom