Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cant say

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

godsownman

Padawan
I want to assemble a computer for my own personal use.
I know quite a bit but have learnt all that own my own and also i have not seen anybody make one.

I have read books and on the internet .

Do you recommend i try making or should i avoid .

Is it difficult or easy

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Strange queries poppin up now-a-days :lol: :lol:

very simple answer here....if u know how to assemble one then why Try definetly assemble one...it will rather help ya out in gettin more acquainted with the comp's components and rather a good pratice session and if possible earn some bucks assembling some one else's comp as well :wink:

But if ya dun know how to assemble a comp then dun fiddle with its components....cause this aint some video game cartridge or some small chip we are talkin about.....its a rather screwy job if u are a newbie :?

plus why dun u get and assembler to do a demo for ya and then possibly(if u are a quick grasper) u might learn somebit abt assembling it :wink:

So perform at ur own risk :D

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
lol took me over a year to break into my computer ( yes break into , if i did anything back then to change the computers external and OS look , i was grounded ) . after a year , i couldnt handle myself and took out the GOLD cd which was kept in the Almirah Locker (how precious) , and i have never looked back since . Those days i didnt have support to load cdrom drivers in dos to run a game called crusader and none of my friends had a pc . I suggest GET ur hand DIRTY . tell a friend to explain stuff and then do it on ur own . Many guides with pictures online too . Keep a diary too . Last thing u want is to learn u have a screw or jumper in ur hand after u assembled everything . Plus dont through away anything . I actually threw away my external l2 cache on P1 , not knowing what it was :) . btw just fixed that old rig with an 80 gb 7200.7 hdd . Works like a charm , even though its outdated s/w and just 32mb edo ram . Its thrilling in a way ,assembling / troubleshooting kept me up all night during net addiction days , koz i had to go online to check if anyone had sent a mail , even though they were forwards . So keep us posted on anything u learn or want to learn . Never to late to learn new stuff .

ramprasad

In the zone
Hi
It is very simple and interesting.... I have my PC assembled by me and is working fine for the past 3 years.... So go ahead and do it.... You will feel definitely satisfied when u complete it....

Regards,
ramprasad

babumuchhala

In the zone
Yes its quite easy. Get all the necessary details fr the installation and have patiance in the job. If u have a friend who has done this or has some knowledge abt it make sure u assemble in his/her presence

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
You can pretty much assemble the PC yourself, its all a matter of fixing things in the right place and then screwing them in, kind of like a mechanical jigsaw puzzle. And most components these days come color-coded and "keyed" which means there is only one correct way you can insert them and unless your vision is totally shot, you can see the right way the components have to be aligned. Having said that, assembling the CPU and the heatsinks can be pretty daunting for newbie, as can mounting the motherboard properly in the case and if you screw this up, you're finished - literally. So, like babu said, have someone around who's already done this, or if thats not possible, at least get the motherboard mounted, the CPU and heatsinks installed by the vendor you're buying the components from. Most of the guys do this for free and you can assemble the rest yourself.

Tech&ME

Banned
ya godsownman do go ahead and install it for yourself but as already told by many here, do keep someone knowledgeable near you while u get your hands dirty on it, since if he/she sees you make mistake, can be correctly immediately and will also help u from not screwing up your installations. Good Luck.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Of all technologies that are and were cutting-edge in their own time, such as cars, radios, TVs, etc, computers must be the easiest to learn and do at the practical end-user level. Assembling a computer is much easier than assembling a single-band radio.

So go ahead and take the plunge, keeping in mind all the good advice others have posted.

Some advance warnings that I feel should be given :
1. Before handling any computer parts, even before you start assembling, touch a grounded object such as a water supply pipe so as to discharge any static electricity that might have accumulated on your body or clothing. This is particularly important in the cold and dry season when everything is dry and highly insulated. You can easily store 500 Volts or more which is deadly to the electrically delicate components.

2. Before connecting or disconnecting any component inside the computer, turn it off and pull out the mains plug.

tuxfan

Technomancer
I can't say whether it is easy or not because it is hard to guess how much you know. I do a lot of my personal stuff myself, but get stumped when comaptibility issues crop up. So I prefer to get parts from a known vendor who guides me somewhat and then can assemble it. Frankly, I am non-techie. So if I can do it, techies can surely do it :)

There are loads of wires. But each has a different look (i.e. number of holes and pins). So they will go only in the right slot. Even if you want to put it in a wrong place, it wouldn't go :lol: This applies to most of the parts. Secondly, your motherboard manual will also help you quite a bit. Have a look at jumper settings of different parts which if wrong could cause malfunctioning.

But on the whole, I would suggest that you keep an expert (friend, relative, etc.) alongwith you to help you in case of trouble.

bharathbala2003

why need title?
tuxfan said:
I can't say whether it is easy or not because it is hard to guess how much you know. I do a lot of my personal stuff myself, but get stumped when comaptibility issues crop up. So I prefer to get parts from a known vendor who guides me somewhat and then can assemble it. Frankly, I am non-techie. So if I can do it, techies can surely do it :)

There are loads of wires. But each has a different look (i.e. number of holes and pins). So they will go only in the right slot. Even if you want to put it in a wrong place, it wouldn't go :lol: This applies to most of the parts. Secondly, your motherboard manual will also help you quite a bit. Have a look at jumper settings of different parts which if wrong could cause malfunctioning.

But on the whole, I would suggest that you keep an expert (friend, relative, etc.) alongwith you to help you in case of trouble.

i totally agree with tuxfan.. if u dont know wat JUMPER PINS.. n wats a jumper cap n so on.. its a GREAT RISK.. ur manual may help u.. but not as much as having a prof near u.. so id recom. a guy who has knowledge bout installing the various parts..

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
In the light of posts by tuxfan and bharathbala2003, I'd like to expand a bit on my earlier post encouraging you to go ahead and assemble your own computer.

I didn't mean that you should blindly charge ahead. What I meant was that it is certainly within the capabilities of anyone with normal intelligence, patience and a keenness to learn.

You can enlist the aid of someone with good experience and you can also post requests for guidance in this forum as you go along, starting with your choice of configuration.

Mr.47

Broken In
fear not go on ahead man
"if you conquer fear you conquer death"
-alexander
but oh yeah mr.bharathbala2003 as right on the part of jumpers
all u need to have is the motherboard manual (its like ure bible take care of it)
else it is only putting thermal paste and then fan on the cpu that is the only BIG TOUGHT THING.REST IS ALL CHEESE

OP
godsownman

godsownman

Padawan
Thanks

Mr.47 said:
fear not go on ahead man
"if you conquer fear you conquer death"
-alexander
but oh yeah mr.bharathbala2003 as right on the part of jumpers
all u need to have is the motherboard manual (its like ure bible take care of it)
else it is only putting thermal paste and then fan on the cpu that is the only BIG TOUGHT THING.REST IS ALL CHEESE

Thanks for boosting my spirits

Charley

Just Do It
I had all my systems assembled .... Its pretty difficult that u have run aound 2 get the components to assemble . But its better since u can get whatever u want that will lessen the cost compared 2 the branded ones..

try this link

*www.mysuperpc.com/

Slam Team

Journeyman
Hey guys.. I tell u the best thing... Go to ur friend's home who has a system.. with his consent... open up every part. Put all that back.. get the technical terms from ur friend who would obviously be a geek... LOL.. neways assembling is damn easy !!!

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
hard to say...... it took me a year or so to understand what is in side my computer.... i had a P-II i did all kind of experiment on it..... finally i tryed my self to assemble a new one....

tuxfan

Technomancer
Slam Team said:
Hey guys.. I tell u the best thing... Go to ur friend's home who has a system.. with his consent... open up every part. Put all that back.. get the technical terms from ur friend who would obviously be a geek... LOL.. neways assembling is damn easy !!!

Perfect!! Open an existing system and have a very close look at the wires connected to different parts. That would give you a lot of idea on what to do :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom