Are there any resources/sites on the net which teach how to drive a car???

Status
Not open for further replies.

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
Well i am learning to drive since the past couple of days. The driving school i enrolled in offers 800, esteem and santro. i chose 800, and the car is a wreck. Thinking of changing the car.

Also i am having this difficultly - everytime the car goes over a few hard bumps, even though i try to keep my leg on the accelerator pedal still, i end up pressing and releasing (which my instructor describes as "pumping" :D). This makes the car JUMP forward then pause, JUMP forward then pause, and so on. (the instructor also gets pissed saying i am ruining his car :D)

I just wanted to know if any of you guys know any website which offers tips to learners/noobs.:confused:

sourav123

Thinking Different
Hi,

Google around to find some websites with tips for driving. But you cannot learn driving from a website really.

As a matter of fact, I have also enrolled in a driving school. This one is run by Maruti and the instructors are very good. They also have simulators where you practice before going on the road. I think Maruti has a driving school all over the country. Please check this website to see if you can find one near your place: *www.marutidrivingschool.com

din

Tribal Boy
@confused

LOL, please do not feel bad, but this is like learning swimming by post :D

OK, coming to the point, I also had a tough time for the first week in the driving school, but the lady who was the instructor for me as well as for my wife - was very nice, she gave proper instructions, how to adjust speed, how to place leg on accelerator etc.

It is quite normal the driving school guys get angry, but if you think it is too much, try another school. But I think practical knowledge always matters. I mean you may get small tips and tricks in websites but it is always better to get a good driving instructor.

Also, if you own a car, you can ask some friends or some professional drivers for help.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Well i am learning to drive since the past couple of days. The driving school i enrolled in offers 800, esteem and santro. i chose 800, and the car is a wreck. Thinking of changing the car.

Also i am having this difficultly - everytime the car goes over a few hard bumps, even though i try to keep my leg on the accelerator pedal still, i end up pressing and releasing (which my instructor describes as "pumping" :D). This makes the car JUMP forward then pause, JUMP forward then pause, and so on. (the instructor also gets pissed saying i am ruining his car :D)

I just wanted to know if any of you guys know any website which offers tips to learners/noobs.:confused:
you gotta have a steady feet:D

do you ride bikes?

as its been just few days, dont get pissed, it becomes really easy after few times. i guess you get nervous. drive in a relaxed cool manner.

800 is best car to learn driving, as the bonet is visible from inside:D, in santro its not.
it becomes easy to judge the braking point, or driving in traffic....

praka123

left this forum longback
there is no online tutorial that can make u learn driving. :D
you have to be your on ;)
you have to learn to adjust clutch and accelerator.

reg,driving school ppl-they do are very rude most of the times.then driving in main roads and traffic is neither a funny thing-you have to take care of others lives also.so,their anger can be justified mostly :D
I know a lady who killed a old man by using ACCELERATOR instead of BRAKE :rolleyes: .

one small tip:learn to avoid lady driven cars,bikes -they will always drive straight,wont give sides to overtake :lol:

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
one small tip:learn to avoid lady driven cars,bikes -they will always drive straight,wont give sides to overtake :lol:
add old ppl to the list.:))

------------

after ~15 classes, your tutor should teach you how to move the car from standstill in hilly places, which obvioulsy includes keeping the car stationary by using clutch & accelerator. (yes no brakes ;))

praka123

left this forum longback
^well,there most n00bs fail :lol:,I have seen many people preferring hand brake instead of clutch brake.
BTW,u can make a car stand still at a hill without accelerator power.only clutch manipulation using legs is needed(experts only) :D

also,always used engine brake while going down a hill and all.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
@confused, or get a logitech g25 wheel & gtr2 game & game in "pro" mode:p

^well,there most n00bs fail :lol:,I have seen many people preferring hand brake instead of clutch brake.
but this method is most useful in traffic, if we use hand-brake method, when moving the car, first it'll go backwards (a littel bit:))). so its kind of scary situation, thats why i maintain a good distance from other cars even when i'm on bike:))

OP
confused

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
@confused, or get a logitech g25 wheel & gtr2 game & game in "pro" mode:p
i did something similar to this. i had a rs.1100 chinese steering wheel, and used to play NFS on it. and actually this added to the problem bcoz, in a game transmission is automatic, all you do is press the pedal as hard as possible. not so in real life.

@everyone - i understand, driving can be learnt only thru actual practice. but i wanted to know the "facts" of driving (which can be read online and applied in practice).
eg. leaving the clutch gradually, instead of suddenly, etc.

thanks for the replies.:D

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
i did something similar to this. i had a rs.1100 chinese steering wheel, and used to play NFS on it. and actually this added to the problem bcoz, in a game transmission is automatic, all you do is press the pedal as hard as possible. not so in real life.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

no comparision of NFS & real life driving :D

especially NFS MW :p

get a hardcore sim racer (gtr2, gtl) & take least power full car.

everything is manual in "pro mode" (gbox = optional) :))

it'll teach how to accelerate from standstill , braking & how to corner, thats all:p, TOTALLY different from real life driving

---------
if you have a car, take it to some big playing ground in early morning (with your dad...) & learn the basics there.

OP
confused

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
^^well my pc components are taking forever to come. i was reffering to NFS 3, not NFS MW (which actually works giving 3-5 fps in my PIII :D).

anyway drove a santro today. the car was in excellent shape, and really helped get some confidence. (i was dreading to go today actually:D)
no more "pumping". now i have to get the gear shifting part correct.

+santro is very responsive and has power steering.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
Even I just started to learn driving. Finished 4 days. The instructor is rude sometimes, but I think it's ok. He always tells I hold the steering wheel too firmly. I don't know why he tells that though I hold it lightly :s Pushing the clutch to the floor is still a problem(first day of handling clutch, brake and accelerator :D ) but I think you can learn quickly. Try to get more classes by paying extra. It's worth it if you don't have a car to practise.

OP
confused

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
^^paying extra?? i think thats mandatory. becoz the instructor is not professional by any means, just a 22-24 yr old guy. and he says i have to keep some "chai-paani" ready for him. :D

from some of my friends i came to know that, one is not supposed to give anything till the course is over. after that one time "guru-dakshina" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom