Apple's WWDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

borg

In the zone
As I type (its now 7:30 PM IST, 7th August), Apple's Worldwide developer conference is just hours away. Steve Jobs will be delivering a keynote in San Fransisco's Moscone centre (as always). Apple is expected to announce & preview the next version of Mac OS X, ie 10.5 codenamed Leopard.

More on this as news comes in. Sadly there is no live webcast of the keynote. Only text streams.

Anyone wanting live coverage (text) can goto

*www.macrumorslive.com/web/

live coverage with photos on

*www.engadget.com/2006/08/07/live-from-wwdc-2006-steve-jobs-keynote/

There are many more websites offering the same.

Last edited:

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
I loved Time Machine.

Ofcourse, they haven't revealed all features yet. Just 10 of them. That is to stop the Redmond photocopiers running too quickly :p

Btw, that Vista and Tiger comparison was awesome.

G

gxsaurav

I actually liked last years keynote, tiger was a worthwhile upgrade from MacOS X 10.1, due to core video & core audio, seriously they were way too behind in terms of GPU based UI & video acceleration, something the Redmond product already gave in term of Directshow, & directX

But this year, it's hilarious, time machine is "new" ROFL , then I think System Restore from Windows ME time, & Shadow copy of Windows server 2003 which was released 8 & 3 years ago, are already behind, I mean, common apple, even if u copy, don't say u don't. But, some Mac Fanatics will never understand, that it's apple who copied, instead they will say, MS copies

Core Animation is good, Windows has DCOM based animations in Windows XP, but it's not completely GPU driven, so core animation wins cos they are first to do this instead of vista which already is working using Vector based layers from day 1. Apple just bought it first to the market, just like when they copied spotlight & bought it first to the market, charging $130 for it, which was shown in Vista build 3xxx about 3 years ago

Oh! again wait, Avlon, it's been there in Vista from what, 4 years i guess, actully day 1, ever heard of WPF

Oh! wait, spotlight now support searching on networks too, great, i saw this feature first time on Windows & linux, network search has been there from Windows NT era

Finally, Mail 3 has notes, to do & standerd HTML mail/templates, gr8, we Windows users are so missing these features with Outlook XP/2003/2007 :D

ichat, ok, no discussion on this, I never used this & no idea how it works, but surely I like Yahoo messenger 3 for Mac's design (sue yahoo for this)

Spaces is good, as Windows doesn't have Vitual desktops by default, cos we can group similar tasks in the taskbar, something Docks can't do. Now call it copying or borrowing, but i have seen this feature in Linux from a long time already

some mac fanboys said, they have not even shown all the features, mark my words, their won't be anymore, maybe 2 or 3 again copied from MS, & charged $130 again. Seriously, is that how they justify the upgrade cost, this is more like a service pack

oh! Wait, there were 200 new features in Tiger, each dashboard widget was a new feature :D

Good thing they moved to Xeons, this was a much asked upgrade, in the professional market, now at least we can have similar config based comparisons of these apps, Cinebench anyone...! But still, they are sailing it as a Workstation, with a 7300GT, what a combination, a gaming grade graphics card for a workstation is joke anyway, that too, a lower end gaming grade card, at least Quadro FX 4000 or FireGL would have been better. Their comparison with a dell precision is a joke again, why don't they add a real workstation grade graphics card, which cost a lot more then a $80 7300GT to the Mac & then compare the price, this is completely biased, Quadro FX 5500 itself costs more then $900, or maybe it was Quadro4 500 they compared to, which was relesed 6 years ago

"Looks like we may have a crash. People are mumbling. Relaunches, fails, switches machines." Why was this written there? how can a Mac crash, it's crash proof

by the way, someone said, Vista got Ra*e*, oh yeah sure, this is what they said last year, & the year before that, but, what do we have in here, Windows XP still the most used OS out there

I wanna ask, why Vista got ra*p*d? What are the features in Leopard, which we already didn’t, had in Windows from a looooooooooooooong time. Atleast Redmiond, isn't crapping about competitors to lure customars to them, cos they don't need to. First bring some valid point to argue, isnted of saying "Jalo boy jalo"

& Plz don't troll in this post saying, We windows users are losers, etc, without a single valid point

Last edited by a moderator:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
apple has finally succumbed to user pressure and now is concentrating on intel based mac pro series which support the widest used OS .... dont have to b einstein to figure which 1 ....

Venom

Journeyman
ANyone has the link to the video? I missed it yesterday, damn phone went dead and just rewired.

G

gxsaurav

sure it will rock, for 19 million people out there, just 2% of all the computer users in the world, who don't play games, who always argue with no valid points, who think college is a scam, & saying "don't lie" is a cry-baby thing

Venom

Journeyman
gxsaurav said:
sure it will rock, for 19 million people out there, just 2% of all the computer users in the world, who don't play games, who always argue with no valid points, who think college is a scam, & saying "don't lie" is a cry-baby thing
That looked like a personal offence to your eternal rival :]

OP
B

borg

In the zone
The video can be watched at apple's website. www.apple.com follow the link

And yes, Apple does copy once in while. It alwasy has. many features like fast user switching appeared years earlier on rival OSs.

On Leopard, anyone can see that the so called 'spaces' is nothing more than a glorified version of the multiple desktops found in Linux for years.

Cannot comment on time machine. I don't think it can be compared to system restore though. The two are fundamentally very different I feel.

G

gxsaurav

borg

what does system restore do, it restores your system to a date on which u either previously made a backup point, or an automatic backup point was made itself, now tell if this isn't what Time Machine do

& by the way about the backup file, simply go to my computer->right click on any drive->tools tab->backup, isn't this a whole system backup feature available from Windows 2000 days

I want to quote something from anandtech.com, which clearly stated what apple always does

Yes I have and it's just a WOW gimick. Like most of apples software Time Machine, Widgets, Spaces, Front Row, etc. it just uses some fancy animation to catch people and make it look new when it really isn't anything new. It is just being presented differently. If I could I would turn off all these animations just so everthing would happen faster instead of waiting on some animation to complete. It looks cool the first few times, but then it just gets old. I like new toys not my old ones rewrapped for me.
by the way, it's not about copying, it about trolling, I really hated the way, Apple demonstrated those Anti-MS & Vista ads, & how the Mac users spread lies about Vista, XP SP2 & MS, I mean, common, can't u just read my signature

Apple relies on MS, they are themselves saying, buy an Intel Mac, cos u can run windows on it

a certain individual has said me, that "Apple just showed 10 features, out of many", ok I admit, but all the new features are not actually "new & innovated" by apple, as they say. Dashcode is a new feature rofl, Mail 3 which needed this notes, to do things from a long time, is now a feature , & guess what u need to pay $130 just have this note feature etc, enough said, better use thunderbird or something else on Mac

Seriously, Apple users should be given an award for arguing without a valid point, they always say Window sux, always pin-points its weakness, but when I point the weakness, they stay silent & say "We-don't talk about the dark side" :rofl

by the way, if mods don't mind, I want to post a link to another forum thread here, where I pinpointed weakness of Mac, but unlike me, Mac users didn't wanted to argue cos they had no valid point

*forum.techspot.in/showthread.php?t=1919

They actually need to troll, & lie about Windows to convince people about their product, giving false info, like Macs don't crash etc does nothing, just use All WHQL driver drivers, & even Windows will never crash

OP
B

borg

In the zone
Yeah, I agree that Apple took it a little too far with their anti Vista rhetoric. It wasn't funny at all.

hmmm... regarding time machine, I think it is more similar to system wide backup rather than system restore. System restore is to restore your entire computer to a previous state just in case some problem occurs. Time machine is for recovering lost individual files & such.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
gxsaurav said:

I am sorry my dear friend, but that is a troll. Seriously, what I think of what a college is or what I speak of outside this forum is none of your business and more so, it has got no relevance to this thread.

If you are not excited or you are not anticipating the release of some software, why do you take the pain of actually trying to talk things about it which highlight your current state of mind.

& Plz don't troll in this post saying, We windows users are losers, etc, without a single valid point

Ahem...

Oh btw, I found a really great forum for you.. *www.whine.in

You comments will be heard and fully appreciated there :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
he has arrived please lock this thread ...... mods ....... where r u ....

G

gxsaurav

and, Mr. Egg is here, lol, sorry for this mockup

thread hijacked, now it's gonna be a war here

& andy, just as I said previously, don't call us losers without a valid point, I pointed out the flaws of Mac with solid points regarding its weakness. Can u deny the fact the spaces is simply Linux virtual desktop with a new fancy interface, unlike yours, who only knows one thing, Ranting. This is clearly visible from your posts

By the way, i never said it was u i m referring to, what makes u think that

u got a forum for me, whining, ok, but what about the fair discussion I have been calling u to from a long time here? either post with some valid points regarding the defense of MacOS X, or plz don't post here

damn, I m so itching to post the conf. log here:D

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
borg said:
why should this thread be locked & who has arrived?

Nothing mate. They're just a bunch of kids. It's recommended to ignore them :)

gxsaurav said:
and, Mr. Egg is here, lol, sorry for this mockup

thread hijacked, now it's gonna be a war here

& andy, just as I said previously, don't call us losers without a valid point, I pointed out the flaws of Mac with solid points regarding its weakness. Can u deny the fact the spaces is simply Linux virtual desktop with a new fancy interface, unlike yours, who only knows one thing, Ranting. This is clearly visible from your posts

u got a forum for me, whining, ok, but what about the fair discussion I have been calling u to from a long time here? either post with some valid points regarding the defense of MacOS X, or plz don't post here

damn, I m so itching to post the conf. log here:D

Why should I not post here? Do you own this forum? And if you post any ir-relevant stuff here, I will report you at the highest level. Be sure of that.

Last edited:
G

gxsaurav

oh, sure do so, plz also mention the ir-relevent info that i post here

i will do the same. & U can post whatever u like, i will simply report whats trolling & without any proper point

Brorg, Windows had "Windows backup" from a long time, which ok, was not able to restore an individual file, but 100 such other applications exist for Windows, in no way, it "new & first time" for Mac users. just check norton ghost, Acronis true image etc

PS: Still waiting for fair arguement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom