Apple, you have a customer for life!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
And that's me!

I know this is probably spam. I should have posted this in the Apple thread but I wanted it to be highly visible. I'm sorry for resorting to posting it here, but I hope the content of this post will make you think that I wasn't too wrong in doing so.

My Mac just saved my friggin' butt! I worship it now. I was cursing it just a while ago and I love it now. I want to kiss it; I want to profess my love to it. Maybe take it to a candlelit dinner or something! I am not exaggerating and I've not gone loony.

Here's what happened:

I had painstakingly typed out a long essay on my Mac. I had two TextEdit windows open - one had the points I was using and the other one had the essay. I was making changes after practically each word. I was poring over the minutest details, trying to get it just right. Because this is important stuff. I have to speak it in front of more than five hundred people tomorrow. Those are going to be three very nervous minutes for me. I had laboured like an ass.

When I was done, I just wanted to rehearse it in front of a friend of mine. I asked him to set the stopwatch and then sat up straight from my leaning position in front of my Mac. Then I pulled the notebook towards me. In a split second, the MagSafe power cord snapped out of the slot (it had got stuck under the foot of the bed) and all was dark. My Mac's battery is in for replacement right now.

I howled. I literally howled. I fell back on the bed and tore at my hair. I cursed Apple. I cursed Steve Jobs. I cursed my Mac and my extreme faith in it, thinking that it could do me no wrong. I cursed computers. I cursed my very existence. I was in shock. What was I supposed to do now? I just could not gear myself up to write that whole thing again. It would never be as good. It was just impossible.

After a few minutes, I just pressed the power button again and let it boot up. All the while, I just wanted to throw something through that screen. When I entered my password, I literally punched the keys in. After that, I ran a Spotlight search for the words I knew were there in my prepared speech. Even if I could salvage a paragraph or two (through some temporary file or something), I'd at least have a base to build up on. Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Zero.

So, I fired Pages. (I hated TextEdit with every breath in my body now.) I fiddled with the Preferences for no reason at all and then finally, knowing that I'd just have to get down to it, I started typing again. I had just typed ten words when my fingers typed the words "get lost dammit". I'd just lost the enthusiasm I'd had a few minutes before. I couldn't go through this again. I fell back on the bed again.

Thinking that maybe I should follow the method I'd followed the previous time, I thought that I should first jot down the points (most of which I'd now forgotten). So, grudgingly and with extreme revulsion, I launched TextEdit.

And that, my dear friends, was the point where I fell in love, all over again. The magic was back. My Mac had once again exceeded my expectations. I jumped in joy. I did a little jig. I shouted (literally shouted), "Macs rock! This is awesome. I friggin' love this thing!" My friends, who'd been witness to the entire episode, must have thought I was on crack. But I could not help it. I beheld a sight so amazing, so brilliant... WOW!

There, right in the centre of the screen, were three TextEdit documents arranged in a neat cascade. The one on the back was an unimportant document where I'd jotted down something, the second one was the one with the points and in the front, standing like a galactic warrior emerging from a landslide, was my essay, exactly as I'd left it, accurate to the last exclamation mark. An unsaved document, typed in a tiny little application that comes for free on every Mac and one that we take for granted, had survived a cold reboot without any mess. It was a revelation. It was magical!

I love my existence now. I love computers. I love Macs and the extreme faith I had in it has now grown ten-fold (and I didn't think that was possible). I love Steve Jobs. Above all, I love Apple!

Thank you, Apple! I promise you, as long as the company lives and keep churning out the unmatched, beautiful and super reliable Mac OS X operating system and keeps bundling them on its Macs, I'll keep buying them. And my kids will buy them too. You truly have a customer for life. Congratulations! :)

Update: digg this, if you wish to.

Update 2: Some people wanted to read it so this is the speech I prepared and thanks to my Mac, am able to present before you guys today:
Social Networking

Honourable Sir,

My very worthy opponent just outlined a few disadvantages of using social networking websites. I would now like to draw your attention on a few aspects that might not be quite so terrible about them - a few aspects that you might actually like. Things that made social networking the craze it has turned out to be.

The first thing a social networking website gives you is... you guessed it, networking. You can be in touch with long lost friends; you can be in touch with the whole world without incurring outlandish telephone charges. Now, does that really sound so bad? Every single day, people on orkut and facebook run into a friend they'd last seen twenty years ago and the flame rekindles, the friendship reshapes, a long lost friend is found. It's magical.

One particular point the opposition strenuously tried to paint as a negative trait is the anonymity that is inseparably associated with online social networking. Let me get this straight. Is anonymity the demon of social networking? Is that why you condemn it? Let me say that, just for the sake of argument, I agree. So, let us ban the use of knives in the country. After all, they are used for murder. It is not, and I would like to stress on this point, the object that causes the harm but the manner in which those entrusted with it choose to use it.

The anonymity which social networking websites gift us with is a boon. It is a boon for the millions of socially inept people around the globe who are too shy to speak up in front of a few people. It is a boon for the physically unattractive or challanged, the sort of people who are generally scorn at in society. These are people too. These are people with feelings, with needs similar to what all other humans have. Online social networking gives to these people what real life, as we know it, does not. It gives them the freedom of expression and the right to be respected, no matter what they look like. I honour this huge service to mankind. I salute it.

The other thing I would like to point out is that sites like orkut and facebook are just the medium. They are the means to achieve an end, not the end itself. An anti-social person seeks to perform sinful deeds. That is the end for them and they need a medium. There are, as you might know, quite a few such mediums around and social networking just happens to be one of them. Whatever they choose to use is immaterial. The fact is, they will reach the end or at least, try their best to. And not having access to orkut is certainly not going to stop them. It is not the medium that is corrupt, but the user who chooses to use it for immoral objectives.

There are several other subsets of the advantages of social networking. I am on a restricted time slot so I'll be brief moving forwards. Social networking makes you more socially inclined, it helps you meet similar minded people, have your problems solved by a large number of people with varying opinions. It is easier to generate awareness through such websites, where the word spreads like wildfire. Since it is powered by computers, social networking also puts the immense power of accurate, all encompassing and instantaneous search at your fingertips.

I could go on with the fancy, highbrow words, but I think I've made my point. I've expressed my sentiment. I would now like to rest my throat and hear what the opposition has to say. Thank you for giving me an opportunity to voice my opinion!
Any and all feedback is highly encouraged and appreciated. :)

Last edited:

vish786

"The Gentleman"
aryayush said:
... And my kids will buy them too....:)
this is seriously too much ...

i'm just imagining, if ur kids hate Mac to d extent u love Mac... i can assume the situation... each one kicking others A$$ :D

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
aryayush said:
I howled. I literally howled. I fell back on the bed and tore at my hair. I cursed Apple. I cursed Steve Jobs. I cursed my Mac and my extreme faith in it, thinking that it could do me no wrong. I cursed computers. I cursed my very existence. I was in shock. What was I supposed to do now? I just could not gear myself up to write that whole thing again. It would never be as good. It was just impossible.

Wait, u were writing an Important essay & u forgot to save it?

Oh! why oh why I use word 2003/2007 which already has autosave & document recovery feature since ages...

why oh why do I press the control+S button when i m writing some thing importent in Notepad..

I failed to understand, why my logic is so good :D

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
Common Arya this is one of the stupidest posts by you praising the Mac...
As GX has already pointed out it is not a big deal that you were able to recover the document..
Also if you werent you were to blame for not saving if you were doing something that important...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Ankur Gupta said:
Common Arya this is one of the stupidest posts by you praising the Mac...
He is a macboy, what can u expect. They kiss a computer when it recovers a file just cos out of stupidity they forgot to save an important essay. :D...I don't understand, who is more stupid here...u for not saving the document or u for posting something like this.

Many times for me, 3Ds Max recovered models from corrupt .max files or I was able to recover files from the "Autosave" folder of 3ds max due to a sudden power cut or anything like that.....whats the point of praising Windows Vista for it :D, its Autodesk which made this.

Oh wait, Apple made textedit, with auto recovery...so from now on Arya will never care to save anything because he knows Mac will recover it even if he is not cautious out about something this important :D....Hey wait, now even I won't care to save that important archi design I made in 3ds Max cos I know even if there is a power cut I can get the file or fragment of file from the "Autosave" folder....lolz

mods....kick me for this....I just can't stop laughing at the fact that arya forgot to save an essay he was working on :D

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Forget the Apple and Windows talk for a moment.
As techies, it was highly unprofessional and stupid of you not to save such an important essay arya. Specially when so much of your efforts and hard work went into it. Do make sure you save your work regularly next time, and if the platform you are using features the option, enable auto save.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@Arya

Ontopic

As per point... all most all Word processors / Applications do have AutoSave and auto recover options... in most of them you can actually configure how often you want your Application to autosave the document..

off topic...

I am glad that your DOC is saved... yes its really hard when u lose out on a hard work :p...

I have faced such issue few times and yes its really painful, the Post is justified to share the joy but actually the section should have been Chit-Chat...

And best of luck for the Presentation you have... I wish you put up the good performance there :D so that next time when we can meet u can buy me a lunch or some thing to eat :lol:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I think that the point he wants to make is that the Text Editor has autosave feature, which is not a full fledged word processor. I dunno if it can be called autosave coz he hadn't saved the document beforehand, if I interpreted his post correctly.

I understand the joy when you got your document back, but I think creating a new thread was unnecessary. Exaggeration is what I'll term this post as.

OffTopic: Abe Saurav, aajkal invisible kyon rehta hai? Kisi se chup raha hai kya??! :D

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
I dunno if it can be called autosave coz he hadn't saved the document beforehand, if I interpreted his post correctly.

Yes even if you dont save the document or file the un-save doc or file in almost all mordern apps will be auto saved to a temp directory :p ....

and for off topic...

Exams are near :p so, little busy off line :lol:

for an example refer here, *www.chotocheeta.com/2007/09/27/save-your-word-documents-from-sudden-power-outage/

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I just checked this: GEdit has only autosave feature; no autorecover. Its a known fact that MS Word/OOo Writer haf both the features while Notepad has none.

mediator

Technomancer
vish786 said:
this is seriously too much ...

i'm just imagining, if ur kids hate Mac to d extent u love Mac... i can assume the situation... each one kicking others A$$ :D
Imagine one of em being a linux dood and other a windows/MS fanboy => Entertainment unlimited for their mum! *www.smileyhut.com/eat_drink/beer3.gif

..:: Free Radical ::..

The Transcendental
^ :D

aryayush said:
And that's me!

I know this is probably spam. I should have posted this in the Apple thread but I wanted it to be highly visible. I'm sorry for resorting to posting it here, but I hope the content of this post will make you think that I wasn't too wrong in doing so.

blah...
blah blah blah blah ....
more...
some more,,,.

finally.... phew....!!!

Thank you, Apple! I promise you, as long as the company lives and keep churning out the unmatched, beautiful and super reliable Mac OS X operating system and keeps bundling them on its Macs, I'll keep buying them. And my kids will buy them too. You truly have a customer for life. Congratulations! :)

I sure hope this was not the text you almost lost, as i'd rather wish that you did lose this one :D

/ * Just joking. Don't take it to heart. Would have loved to see that macboy face light up. Got some pics of the special moment? * /

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
just goes to show how dumb and blind some 1 can be .... :lol: word does this since ages :lol: cant stop laughing at ur ignorance .... u wet ur pants thinking u lost ur essay and i dont even bother to save coz i know word takes care of it :lol:

:lol: :lol: cant stop laughing at ur ignorance :lol: :lol: auto save feature :lol: u didnt know abt it :lol: and guys if u read betweeen the lines .... aayush wasnt using his be-loved pages .... i wonder why .... is a simple text editor simply better than pages thats y maybe :lol:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
iMav said:
and guys if u read betweeen the lines .... aayush wasnt using his be-loved pages .... i wonder why .... is a simple text editor simply better than pages thats y maybe :lol:

Did u forget, for Arya, more features is bad. So he was using textedit & not pages...who needs more features of Pages :D

goobimama

 Macboy
Who said Word and other office suites don't have autosaving features? Of course they do. They are meant to be that way. But when you find a simple app as textedit (Windows Notepad on steroids for Mac) doing such a thing, it is pretty amazing.

That said, aayush, it's very careless of you not to save. That's like the 11th commandment.

Jesus Saves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom