Apple OS Doomed from Spyware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
Apple OS Doomed from Spyware?

It has finally happened. The proof of concept that we all knew had to happen eventually have apparently hit the fan. There is now confirmation that adware and/or spyware could in fact be installed onto a Mac via Apple's Safari browser. :evil:

A Cause for Alarm? It's time to make sure that you are keeping your Mac systems up-to-date, thinking carefully about the browser you are using (don't use Safari) and consider the fact that any OS can indeed, be exploited...

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
The article is so poorly written that it is self contradictory.

There is now confirmation that adware and/or spyware could in fact be installed onto a Mac via Apple's Safari browser.

As things stand now, there is still no real threat of destructive issues coming from malware that’s designed to hit the Mac user specifically.

Those are lines from the first and the second paragraph of the article.

I'd be glad if the original poster gives proof of the existance of such spyware. :)

There might be 4342423443 spyware for OS X in future, but as of today, there are none. Nada.

Last edited:
G

gxsaurav

^^^^ Nobady can critisize or show the shotrcomings of MacOS X here anymore.

Andy, your post is compleately irrelevent to this thread. Spyware is everywhere, everyone should admit it.

off topic: Why is it, that whenever anyone shows a flaw of MacOS X in public anywhere on internet, macboys act same as always?

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
gxsaurav said:
Andy, your post is compleately irrelevent to this thread. Spyware is everywhere, everyone should admit it.

Actions speak louder than words. Proof, please. :)

G

gxsaurav

sorry, can't give proof....don't have a mac to test or install it

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
gxsaurav said:
sorry, can't give proof....don't have a mac to test or install it

So, how did you make the statement that Macs have spyware if you haven't tested the spyware you claim that you have? :)

Actions speak louder than words, indeed.

G

gxsaurav

yeah, i can't prove it. Don't have a mac

industry leaders in security, many security firms have proved it insted of me

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
mail2and said:
I'd be glad if the original poster gives proof of the existance of such spyware. :)

:)

by orginal poster if u mean me, then i am just reporting a news thread for all of us to read. we may agree with it or we may disagree with it, BUT we MUST NOT take it personally :) all os's have their +/-.

nevertheless i would seriously like to know that if there are no spyware threats, why do these exists ? :confused:
*www.macosxspyware.com/
Mac OS X Spyware Sample Spotted *www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2064221,00.asp
*macscan.securemac.com/
*news.com.com/Gartner+Beware+of+Mac+OS+spyware/2100-7355_3-5645465.html

but, if by original poster, u mean Matt Hartley, i guess u will have to ask him personally :) then.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
anandk said:
:)

by orginal poster if u mean me, then i am just reporting a news thread for all of us to read.

Original Poster is an accepted term on the net for a person who posts a thread.

we may agree with it or we may disagree with it, BUT we MUST NOT take it personally :) all os's have their +/-.

I never mentioned about the postivites/negatives of any OS.

nevertheless i would seriously like to know that if there are no spyware threats, why do these exists ? :confused:

For the same reason that Norton for OS X exists. Go to Norton's site, mail them, and ask them which viri they block. They will tell you that they try to block Windows viri, which Mac users may download through mail or otherwise, and transmit to other Windows users. Try it.
*macscan.securemac.com/

*macscan.securemac.com/list.php

Keyloggers installed with admin password?

First you download the compressed DMG. Then you extract it. Then you go on to install it. Then you enter your admin user name and password. Then you run the program. Then the OS asks if you are sure you want to run this program. After all this, your keystrokes will be logged. Pretty simple to get infected, isn't it?

Sigh. That's what that software is for. If the original poster actually knew about the base of OS X, he wouldn't have posted this link.

*www.macosxspyware.com/

LOL. *www.macosxspyware.com/list.php. I wished you would have clicked on a single link on that site.

*www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2064221,00.asp
Read that article, more carefully, if you haven't read it, yet, which I suspect is the case.

From the article

It's a feature, not a bug, but let's just say that installing a System Library shouldn't be allowed without prompting the user," the company added

Nothing can be installed to the system library without an admin user/pass. They meant the user library, and they themselves have mentioned the thing as a feature, rather than a bug.

There was another such 'proof of concept' widely hyped by Norton. After tremendous pressure from security experts, they had to retract their statements.

As I said earlier, there might be 11212312 spyware and viri in the future, but as of today, there are none. Nada. No platform is fully secure, but some are more secure than others.

To prevent flaming, which is bound to take place in this thread, I am locking it. I will PM another mod/admin to judge whether this thread should be allowed to run or not.

Last edited:

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
gxsaurav: You've been miserabled before for trolling. Please keep your opinions on "macboys" to yourself, and if you must present an argument, please back it up with facts/sources.

Thread reopened. Please keep it sane.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Oh well, another \QUOTE\ thread in making :\

Well, so what if Macs are even affected by spyware, look at the bright side, its a global war against them and with apple's brilliancy they will find a way out of course!

G

gxsaurav

FatBeing said:
gxsaurav: You've been miserabled before for trolling. Please keep your opinions on "macboys" to yourself, and if you must present an argument, please back it up with facts/sources.

Thread reopened. Please keep it sane.

Ok

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
mail2and said:
If the original poster actually knew about the base of OS X, he wouldn't have posted this link.

thanx for the compliment :) but u r right, i have not used a mac !
but thats not going to stop me from posting links about news items ! there are a lot of such things i dont know :) but which i think people would like to read about !

BUT....

But if i had known that posting such a news link about mac was going to hurt someone so much and aggravate someone to such levels of paranoia, i probably would not have ! :D

i refuse to be drawn in such a intolerant display of intemperate and personal sentiments ! i withdraw from this thread :)

go ahead have ur last word if u wish...and relish it :D

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Intolerant display of what?

I was merely posting replies to what you posted. Show me one place where I personally abused you.

But, then, people never take personal defeats in a right way, do they?

Do you even know what paranoia means, or you learnt it in class today?

go ahead have ur last word if u wish...and relish it :D

Now I can see who is getting personal. It's for the world to judge. :)

Last edited:
G

gxsaurav

andy

1) This is news section, anandk just posted a news. Your post of asking proof is compleately irrelevent to this thread

2) He is not our age, pay some respect....

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I am going to post the same thing that mail2and already did, but I hope I am successful in making it a bit clearer.

Proof of concept spyware and even viruses crop up all over the internet from time to time for the Mac platform, but there is not even a single real threat out there in the wild. NOT EVEN ONE!

anandk said:
There is now confirmation that adware and/or spyware could in fact be installed onto a Mac via Apple's Safari browser.

A Cause for Alarm? It's time to make sure that you are keeping your Mac systems up-to-date, thinking carefully about the browser you are using (don't use Safari) and consider the fact that any OS can indeed, be exploited...
Yes, it *could* be exploited, but it hasn't been yet. In all likelihood, it never will be either.

gxsaurav, you are the last person who should talk about not posting off-topic things. Here is a sample: MacOS X 10.5 to feature new UI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom