Apple on a roll!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nagarjun_424

Journeyman
Apple seems to be on the spotlight these days for evey product launch. Each of its products seem to be putting Gates and his boys to shame! :p I am actually a hard core windows user, but after looking at the recent developments from Apple and lots of advice from this forum's members, I'm making the switch to a mac as soon as leopard launches. Here are some of the most recent news from Apple that has put the company in the spotlight:

1. Release of the Apple iPhone (revolutionary touch screen mobile, ipod, internet device etc etc).

2. Leopard - The new "cat" from Apple seems quite an achievement by Apple considering the short time frame.

3. Switch to Intel - All Macs are now powered by Intel.

4. Support to run Windows on a Mac - Run Windows using software such as Boot Camp or Parallels Desktop etc.

5. 100 Millionth iPod sold and hence, the largest portable music player in history!

6. Upgrade of Macbook Pro to Santa Rosa and new LED backlit LCD screens for the same.

Note: Bullets not in chronological order. No source, I compiled it myself.

Oh and by the way, this message posted from Safari for Windows! :p

morpheusv6

Journeyman
Leopard looks like … Vista

source: *blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=505&tag=nl.e622

1. New Leopard Desktop: Not a whole lot different from Vista’s Aero and Sidebar.
2. New Finder: Many of the same capabilities as the integrated “Instant Search” in Vista (the subsystem that Google is trying to get the Department of Justice to rule as being anti-competitive). The new Leopard Coverflow viewing capability looked almost identical to Vista’s Flip 3D to me.
3. QuickLook: Live file previews — just like the thumbnail preview capability available in Vista.
4. 64-bitness: Leopard is the first 64-bit only version of a desktop client. Vista comes in 32-bit and 64-bit varieties. And most expect Windows Seven will still be available in 32-bit flavors. Until 32-bit machines go away, it seems like a good idea to offer 32-bit operating systems.
5. Core animation: Not sure what the Vista comparison is here. The demo reminded me of Microsoft Max photo-sharing application. The WWDC developers attending the Jobs keynote didn’t seem wowed with this functionality.
6. Boot Camp. You can run Vista on your Mac. Apple showed Vista running Solitaire in its WWDC demo. But I bet those downloading the 2.5 million copies of Boot Camp available since last year are running a lot of other Windows business apps and games.
7. Spaces: A feature allowing users to group applications into separate spaces. I haven’t seen anything like in in Vista, but the audience didn’t seem overly impressed by it.
8. Dashboard with widgets. Isn’t this like the Vista Sidebar with gadgets?
9. iChat gets a bunch of fun add-ons (photo-booth effects, backrops, etc.) to make it a more fully-featured videoconferencing product. The “iChat Theater” capability Jobs showed off reminded me of Vista’s Meeting Space and/or the new Microsoft “Shared View” (code-named “Tahiti”) document-sharing/conferencing subsystems.
10. Time Machine automatic backup. Vista has built-in automatic backup (Volume Shadow Copy). It doesn’t look anywhere near as cool as Time Machine. But it seems to provide a lot of the same functionality.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Isnt spaces (based on what I read from Leopards site) similar to Virtual Desktops? That was available as a powertoy (free ms download) with XP... Might have been available earlier with Win2k/9x but I dont know... The powertoy has restriction of 4 virtual desktops but there are plenty of third party apps in windows that provide many more virtual desktops...

If I wrong about spaces being similar to virtual desktop, please explain...

Arun

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Re: Leopard looks like … Vista

morpheusv6 said:
source: *blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=505&tag=nl.e622

1. New Leopard Desktop: Not a whole lot different from Vista’s Aero and Sidebar.
2. New Finder: Many of the same capabilities as the integrated “Instant Search” in Vista (the subsystem that Google is trying to get the Department of Justice to rule as being anti-competitive). The new Leopard Coverflow viewing capability looked almost identical to Vista’s Flip 3D to me.
3. QuickLook: Live file previews — just like the thumbnail preview capability available in Vista.
4. 64-bitness: Leopard is the first 64-bit only version of a desktop client. Vista comes in 32-bit and 64-bit varieties. And most expect Windows Seven will still be available in 32-bit flavors. Until 32-bit machines go away, it seems like a good idea to offer 32-bit operating systems.
5. Core animation: Not sure what the Vista comparison is here. The demo reminded me of Microsoft Max photo-sharing application. The WWDC developers attending the Jobs keynote didn’t seem wowed with this functionality.
6. Boot Camp. You can run Vista on your Mac. Apple showed Vista running Solitaire in its WWDC demo. But I bet those downloading the 2.5 million copies of Boot Camp available since last year are running a lot of other Windows business apps and games.
7. Spaces: A feature allowing users to group applications into separate spaces. I haven’t seen anything like in in Vista, but the audience didn’t seem overly impressed by it.
8. Dashboard with widgets. Isn’t this like the Vista Sidebar with gadgets?
9. iChat gets a bunch of fun add-ons (photo-booth effects, backrops, etc.) to make it a more fully-featured videoconferencing product. The “iChat Theater” capability Jobs showed off reminded me of Vista’s Meeting Space and/or the new Microsoft “Shared View” (code-named “Tahiti”) document-sharing/conferencing subsystems.
10. Time Machine automatic backup. Vista has built-in automatic backup (Volume Shadow Copy). It doesn’t look anywhere near as cool as Time Machine. But it seems to provide a lot of the same functionality.
Yeah, we've heard this lunatic before and certainly do not need a recap.

The difference is in the implementation. Look at Spaces and then look at any other virtual desktops application from any other company. Which one looks and works better? Look at Time Machine. Has anyone ever seen a better backup application? iChat - the best IM client in the world, except that it does not support MSN and Yahoo! You can say this about everything Apple does - they do it better.

@nagarjun_424, prepare to be hounded by the likes of gx_saurav and iMav about how you are making the worst mistake of your life and only God can help you now and how you should opt for an only-Windows PC and save your money and sanity... whatever! :lol:

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Look at Spaces and then look at any other virtual desktops application from any other company.

Stardock & so many other 3rd party solutions.
Look at Time Machine. Has anyone ever seen a better backup application?

Acronis True Image still pwns Time machine Hands down. Time Machine won't backup your boot drive as a sector by secto image. Acronis true image does. Time machine makes backup of you files, well....Windows backup has been doing this since Windows XP

iChat - the best IM client in the world, except that it does not support MSN and Yahoo!

:d That makes it the worst IM Client compared to Trilian Astra or Pidgin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom