anyone using alternate power(electricity) source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
just want to know whether anyone in the forum uses some other source of electricity other than state electricity board and commercial generators.

something like small hydal power plants or solar power.

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
^^ I use these :=

1.) Solar Powered Calculator :D
2.) Solar Cooker for cooking.
3.) Solar Powered Torch.

Also there are some WindMills near my house....

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
Mazaak chod yaar!someone really using some alternate source for home electricity?

fun2sh

Pawned!... Beyond GODLIKE
^^ i had thought of creatin such sources wen i make my own house!!
once on discovery THEY SHOWED A HOUSE WHICH HAD BEEN RUNNIN ON ELECTRICITY TROUGH WIND MILLS. They had established it in thier home itself!!

narangz

Web developer
Excellent thread, Prakash sir. This thread should educate people about alternate sources of power generation.
Well I am using power from state electricity board. Solar thing is not much popular now. But I guess the state board has started generation(or will start soon, dont remember) through wind mills in collaboration with Suzlon.
Perhaps they'll have a nuclear power generation sytem in the near future. But politics are going on the nuclear generation method. I guess its a highly debatable issue. But somehow I am in favour of N-Power.

A

anarchist

If one have to use alternative sources on domestic level, solar power is more suitable, but power will be in day only. battery bank is required for backup in night hours. cloudy/ foggy weather are additional problems. these days solar panels are available at lower cost.

hydro and wind (and nuclear) requires more initial cost, but are more relible. they can not be used everywhere.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
But I have read small hydro-electric power schemes implemented and endorsed by local panchayath's in Malabar/Idukki regions of Kerala where small/medium size waterfalls are seen.
I think it is a nice idea.

I have read about tidal electricity,dont know much though :-|
Now power shortages are gonna happen in our state too :oops: Hope we got some local power gen plants as EU & US towns have.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
^Not like that.after every monsoon season,dams are full,then when nearing april-may powercuts are common :oops:

A

anarchist

@praka123: as said earlier, small hydel can be used only if you are residing by a waterfall. I dont have any waterfall nearby my home, time to get a new home :)
i have seen running thousands of windmills in TN (coimbtore area). in north india i have not seen wind mill anywhere.

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
Nice Thread. I am also thinking of setting up a solar panel grid on our rooftop, when we shift to our home in Kerala. And I had enquired about the setup costs once... they are much cheaper now. Now many local players have entered the market with solar power solutions. These things are heavily promoted in exhibitions setup here every year, where one can find more info.

narangz

Web developer
Solar water heaters & cookers are popular these days.

@praka123: as said earlier, small hydel can be used only if you are residing by a waterfall. I dont have any waterfall nearby my home, time to get a new home :)
i have seen running thousands of windmills in TN (coimbtore area). in north india i have not seen wind mill anywhere.

Be prepared :)

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
But,I have seen Panchayat Offices running power from solar panels(huge ones!),but the thing is those solar cell panels wont last long(may be I am wrong!) as we can see their condition after few months!

@anarchist:Yup seen windmills in Palakkad,coimbatore(dont remember where>Pazhani somewhere maybe!) that's nice idea.but not all areas have the necessary full time winds.

din

Tribal Boy
Nice Thread. I am also thinking of setting up a solar panel grid on our rooftop, when we shift to our home in Kerala.

Considering the climate in Kerala, we can't expect solar panels to work more than 6 months an yr, thats a disadvantage. I mean sky will not be clear during monsoon / other rainy season and that may be a problem.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
The problems with current power generation systems are

1) Hydel Power: Severe Impact of the Eco systems, Huge cost. many People are rendered Homeless. Plant & Animal species goes extinct.
Your heritage is also Impacted a Big way.

2) Thermal Power: cheaper to built than hydel Power but they also Impact in a big way. most plants are Lignite based. they are responsible for creating air pollution.

3) Nuclear power: In my opinion its the worst method of generating power, as Till date Man kind can't find a way what to do with the radio active waste produced in the process. If any earth quake comes or any other nautral calamity then the results be Disastrous.

what the wind & solar power
They have their own set of problems.
They are Unpredictable
Wind can stop blowing anytime, you can't help it. and case in Solar power. What do to in night,Rainy days ?

In my State situation is slightly better
Rajasthan Enjoy Maximum Number of Sunny days & there is also plenty of wind blowing for wind power. As most of the wind generation power plants exist in Jaisalmer & Barmer.

what are the Inital cost for Solar Power?

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^Solar powered aint so bad.
When I was in Bangalore(Which btw, happens to be the city with max solar power usage)
The place i used to live had this solar gyser, and the water was steaming hot on normal days and pretty good on cloudy days.

The problems with solar power are
1. High Cost of solar panels,
2. Low power convertion.

If they can improve atleast one of them, Solar power will get a huge boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom