Anyone knowing electronics please help me..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajaybc

Youngling
I have a P4 machne with Intel original 845GLVA motherboard which doesn't
support automatic booting.Please anyone knowing electronics please send me the circuit of a device that can boot the computer at a preset time.
PLEASE................................................................................

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I dont know much about automatic booting topic but once someone discussed here that a compro TV tuner card had preset time to boot the comp & record the show & then shutdown & record at another time, so getting a 2000/- card might help giving u both capabilities.

Search for such cards, that might help.
I wonder what could else be this useful apart from TV recording, why would u want ur comp to boot automatically.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
ajaybc said:
I have a P4 machne with Intel original 845GLVA motherboard which doesn't
support automatic booting.Please anyone knowing electronics please send me the circuit of a device that can boot the computer at a preset time.
PLEASE................................................................................
unless you know how the power supply is routed on the mobo its not possible to interface a separate circuit. wid the advent of acpi and atx power supply its not like the earlier at psu where simply turning on the power switch will turn on the system (so to make a circuit like this you cud employ the IC 555 timer). unless the mobo supports it and has options in bios its not possible.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
MY BIOS support this feature but I have not ever used it, actually never needed it.

IF ur sole purpose is to start download (rather booting) at a particular time (unlimited bandwidth at night) then u r trying to reinvent the wheel............no need to do that, there are 100s of software which will do that for you, they can stop all internet downlaod & start download as per your preset time, so u dont have to wake up at odd hrs.

U can control ur bandwidth,
u can control what all application are allowed to connect
u can control the start time & end time.
IN gud old days of dial up connection I had such software...........let me see if I can find out that for you......................but I am sure there r plenty of them now.

Make another post in software forum asking about ur actual requirements & some member can surely help u.

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@infra i hink its rather easy ... the power button conx on the cabinet can be easily trigerred by an external timer ckt and that wud be rather easy to setup

so the setup wud be like the power button conx on the cabinet wud be trigerred by a 555

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
yes imav, you can then you'll need a two way switch to shift from the timer to the power button. its not difficult.. but hafing support in bios is always a better and safer option.

OP
ajaybc

ajaybc

Youngling
My plan is this:see image attachment
Will u please tell me how to use that timer bcoz iam an absolute zero in electronics.please send me the circuit drawing

Pathik

Google Bot
i hav very limited knowledge of electronics... but u can use a software that can access ur cmos timer and accordingly switch on/off ur computer..

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
ajay the problem wid ur circuit is that the power button is no longer the kinda one shown by you. so you can't haf the timer circuit in parallel. you'll hafta use a two way switch for that.

things required to set the timer will be a variac (variable capacitor) and/or a rheostat (variable resistor). the time duration is calculated by this formula, if i remember rite (Been 3 years since i studied used it!! :D )
T = 1.1RC where t is time in secs, r is the resistance in ohms and c is the capacitance in farads. C is chosen to some viable value then R is adjusted accordingly for a required value of t. but then this circuit will need a separate power supply of its own and one thing to remember is that the ic555 needs to be operated in the monostable mode.

man! this is interesting. we can haf a small project on this :) i'll get back in sometime. gotta go out for some work. meanwhile it'd be good to see people pouring in the ideas :)

OP
ajaybc

ajaybc

Youngling
I want the device somewhat like an alarm clock where u can set the time for booting just like u do for setting alarms.It then wud be very convenient to use.
The following text may be idiotic.IF IT IS,IT IS OUT OF MY IGNORANCE OF ELECTRONICS

Can we use the same mechanism like in digital alarm clock?
i.e wen the preset time comes it sends a small current to the buzzer which make the noise.The same thing with a little diff can be applied here.
That is wen the preset time comes the circuit is complete(the two wires of the power button is shorted) for a second or two and the computer boots up.
If it is possible please send me the circuit diagram.I can get an old alarm clock and we can make necessary changes for this purpose.

Please ...Please help me.......

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Thats gud source for finding ur kind of circuits here the link to that page *www.electronicsforu.com/electronicsforu/lab/

look at no. 40 & 170
*www.electronicsforu.com/efylinux/circuit/dec99/self.gif

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
this is getting interesting! :) ajay, you'll need a relay to complete the circuit as the current is jus too small and finding a relay that operates at such a low current value is a task too :)

all we want to build here is a simple timed trigger circuit. the timer is the ic555 and the triggering device is a small relay (an electromechanical triggering device). however, the time mebbe restricted to minutes unless we use some not so common potentiometers and capacitors.

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
ajaybc said:
The following text may be idiotic.IF IT IS,IT IS OUT OF MY IGNORANCE OF ELECTRONICS

Can we use the same mechanism like in digital alarm clock?
i.e wen the preset time comes it sends a small current to the buzzer which make the noise.The same thing with a little diff can be applied here.
That is wen the preset time comes the circuit is complete(the two wires of the power button is shorted) for a second or two and the computer boots up.
If it is possible please send me the circuit diagram.I can get an old alarm clock and we can make necessary changes for this purpose.

Please ...Please help me.......
Yeah this will do the trick u can make use of that voltage coming to the buzzer, u only need a small amplifier to increase the current to drive a relay.This will make a cheap timer clock with good accuracy.

OP
ajaybc

ajaybc

Youngling
cyberboy_kerala said:
Yeah this will do the trick u can make use of that voltage coming to the buzzer, u only need a small amplifier to increase the current to drive a relay.This will make a cheap timer clock with good accuracy.

Will any one give me the circuit diagram for the modifications I should make in the alarm clock,like he said with amplifier.
Please..........................................................

I saw somewat similar circuits in electronicsforyou.com but it requires lots of modifications
If any one can tell me how to modify an alarm clock for this I wud be greatful

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
@ajay
i went thru the circuit and it'll work. but i haf one doubt regarding the relay. in that circuit the relay will remain on for the entire period till the circuit is manually switched off. when connected to the computer this means that the two pins will be shorted untill its turned off. however the method applied to power on modern system is that there's a momentary short of the two pins on the mobo. as soon as it powers on the switch is released and they are no longer shorted. will there be any harm to the system if the two pins are shorted for long? that is my question now.

OP
ajaybc

ajaybc

Youngling
Regarding the circuit in *www.electronicsforu.com/electronic...l2003/Time_Switch-Mar99.pdf&title=Time Switch .Is there any way to shorten the shorting time of the pins?
If it is shortened for long the system will turn off i think.Haven't tried yet.

If there is no prblm with the length of shortening then that is the solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom