Anybody figured out File Sharing in Yahoo Mess 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildstyle

Broken In
Yahoo Messenger 6 is supposed to have a file sharing facility which lets you share a folder and all it's contents using the IM. Your contact can supposedly download those files from you.

I haven't been able to locate the file share option anywhere in the messenger menus, though the Yahoo Help site clearly states the function as available.

Anybody else found this option in your messenger?javascript:emoticon(':?:')
Question

OP
W

Wildstyle

Broken In
You misunderstood, dude.

I know how to send files individually. What I was talking about a supposed new feature in Y! Messenger 6 that allows folks to make a bunch of files available as shared files on the messenger. This could be, like, a folder full of MP3s. All your contacts can then browse your shared files, and download them.

It's mentioned in the help section of the yahoo website but hasn't been mentioned anywhere by people. Maybe they cancelled that feature.

B

bipin_hbk

Hey Wildstyle If you know it then disscuss it with us too.

krazydude

Journeyman
Hey, does not not make Yahoo Messgr like a P2P if u can share a folder, and lets say u add resume support later on ??

OP
W

Wildstyle

Broken In
Well guys, I am sure the feature is not there in the currently available version. I am also equally sure I read about the feature.

I had even written to the Yahoo! messenger support personnel. They even replied to my query suggesting that the feature is there, and I should uninstall, then reinstall Yahoo messenger! Now maybe that guy was kidding or something really is amiss here.

OP
W

Wildstyle

Broken In
OK, YOU ALL GUYS... here is the proof that File Sharing is supposed to be a feature in Yahoo messenger 6:

*help.yahoo.com/help/us/messenger/win/tools/index.html

See! I told ya!

Now if you click on the 'View Shared Files' link, it takes you to another page which mentions the exact menu item where you can find the file sharing option:

How do I view shared files?
You can view/download a contact's shared files:

1. Click the Contact menu in the IM window, select Contact Options and Shared Files.

2. Your friend will receive an authorization message asking them to approve your request to view their files (by default). If your request is approved, a new window will pop up displaying the contents of whatever directory your friend has chosen to share.

3. Select the files and click the Download button.

Please Note: There is one folder and 1000 file limit.

See that!!! This kick-ass feature would be great and officially it's there, but then where the duck is it? :roll: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :roll:

siddhesh

Broken In
Here is the solution to your problem. . .

1] Sign into Yahoo! Messenger & open 'Preferences'.
2] Select 'File Transfer' in the category.
3] In the text box that says 'Directory where others can get my files', select the folder you wish to share.
4] Click 'OK'.
5] IM the person you want to share your files with.

All these steps are now for the person who wants to get your files.

6] Ask the person to click on Contact ---> Contact Options ---> Shared Files in his/her IM Window.
7] A dialog box will pop up. Click OK.
8] A window comes up that lists all your files in the Shared Folder. You might get a dialog box asking your permission to send files.

Thatz it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom