any sorce for getting linux for free

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Firstly post in the right sections. I have moved it now.
As for your question. see shipit.ubuntu.com also I heard of such a thing for Fedora Core but don't know where is it available.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
If u hv U/L BRoadband, at night goto google. search 'Mandriva' and start Downloading. I recommend 'mandriva' linux because its the most stable ver of linux.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
nilesh.3892 said:
If u hv U/L BRoadband, at night goto google. search 'Mandriva' and start Downloading. I recommend 'mandriva' linux because its the most stable ver of linux.
Which kind of stability is that? AFAIK Most stable 'versions'(actually it is called as distros) are Debian and Slackware. There are others like gentoo which can be made to be very stable but that involves a lot of know how and it's a bit debatable.
There are other OS'es which are more stable but they are not so usable for general public.

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
Yes, you are right @tech_your_future. Debian is the most stable Linux distro so far. AFAIK they always release their product after heavy stability tests...

drsethi

Journeyman
lalu said:
is there any source for getting linux for free.
Yes, there are many sources.
Easiest being from magazines. Almost all major distros available in Linuxforu, Pcworld, Chip etc. Some in Digit also
Download sources
*en.opensuse.org/Released_Version
*linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Operating-Systems/Linux-Distributions/
*www.mandriva.com/en/download
*fedora.redhat.com/
You can buy Linux DVDs at very low rates at *www.buylinuxdvd.com/

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Hi
I think the best you can do is contact your neighbourhood Linux User Group. I see you are from Kerela. They will not only be able to provide the cds but also some help should you require it. As for free cds, well LUGs usually charge you only media cost, which is peanuts for such a wonderful operating system. For example, I charge Rs 8 per cd, so a 5 cd distro will cost you Rs 40 minus the cd covers. A 2 cd ordinary cover will cost Rs. 1.25. If you are really thinking of money you can write to rewritables to try out the distro, provided the data is verified from the image or original cd, lest you have problems while install due to scratched disks. Think about it !

shivkumar

>>>>>Monkey Power
You can request for free copy of Fedora Core at *fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/FreeMedia. However, its a voluntary service so the request can be made only at the beginning of the month.
If you are in Cochin and if you are interested to have Ubuntu / Kubuntu 6.06 or FC4 or 5. I can provide you the same.

praka123

left this forum longback
in ernakulam(cochin),u can get in major book shops like Pai&Co or Mindstorm computer bookshop etc or *suncochin.com for specific distros.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
the best way is to contact Linux user group(LUG in city).
check here

--------------------------------OR---------------------------------------
get a magzani like Chip or digit which has a latest distro in it.

i recommond getting linux from lug's as they might also help u install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom