Any one facing problem DNS resolution on BSNL DATAONE BB ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
I am using BSNL dataone for more than a month and I noticed that their DNS server are slow and sometimes never works in first attempt, its now getting irrated so I thought to look for some solution, first one I tried was using an open public nameserver !!
like .. 219.127.89.37 and used as secondry DNS..
Things worked fine,

Then I thought to use some caching namserver to installed on my system itself, in linux I know how to that but in windowsXP I found a software which do same for free and thats when on personal use.

*www.ntcanuck.com/download/051111twdns.zip

Install it and it will work on its own, if you have configured Dataone to dial from computer itself then you have to read its quick start guide else if you have configured your system to use Modem as router ie.. modem connects on its own and your system work as client to then its done.

The reason for this thread is just to help if anyone facing similar problem as well getting their feedback ie. if its really a problem of DNS on dataone.

BTW.
for those who are wondering what exactly I am talking about then its..
When you open a website and for long its not opening , you may have to refresh or again refresh to get it open but on the other hand other sites are working just fine, opening in just one flick.
It means that connection is fine but problem is DNS resolving.

PS:
Caching nameserver saves DNS query too so that in future your computer won't need to connect to ISP nameserver in order to resolve a domain, also this nameserver keeps database upto date on its own just givng you fast and accurate results.

Udate
I just found that the software is nothing but windows port of famous LINUX DNS server BIND! Its very reliable and good.

Last edited:

Sourabh

Laptoping
I use one dns of bsnl and one of the 4.2.2.x series. Pings of the latter are very bad as compared to the bsnl one, but atleast it doesn't leave me with a page cannot be displayed.

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
So it means their DNS is really faulty, I noticed that earlier in cafe too when I was not having dataone at home.
btw, the public nameserver I mentioned has fine ping, you can use that.

Sourabh

Laptoping
I hope you are using their DNS of the correct zone. Google to get them. They have provided separate dns addresses to different zones for the good.

blackpearl

The Devil
Yes, BSNL's DNS are slow. I was thinking of using a dns on my computer for some time. Thanks for reminding me.

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Sourabh said:
I hope you are using their DNS of the correct zone. Google to get them. They have provided separate dns addresses to different zones for the good.
Man.. what are you talking ? what the google has to do with the DNS server I use ? YOu are talking as if Google is GOD of interneT !

Sourabh

Laptoping
Easy Ricky, What I meant was BSNL provides different DNS according to zones for better connectivity. Since you are so skeptical about it, here you go.

(61.1.96.69 – East, 218.248.255.145- South, 218.248.255.193- North, 218.248.255.177- West region) and Secondary DNS as (61.1.96.71 – West, 218.248.255.145- North, 218.248.255.193- South, 218.248.255.177- East Region)

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@Sourabh

Coool info... thnx... it will be handy... i am not good person to comment... I dont know what exactly u guyess are talking about...

Caching nameserver saves DNS query too so that in future your computer won't need to connect to ISP nameserver in order to resolve a domain

but while change my domain Name server I have seen BSNL DATAONE was the fastest ISP to catch the change... within 5 mins of it (the domain was in the 1st server for more than 6months)... on that time... Reliance CDMA and Broadband both took 3/4 hours, TATA CDMA took almost half a day... TATA Broadband took 3hours... Sify was the slowest... as i saw the change next day (though i didnt checke on night :p )

these are the 4 ISPes i have access to... so i cant comment on others performance...

Last edited:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
by the way... just thought i should post this... any one with DNS caching problem with BSNL... the service called *www.opendns.com/ works great.....

I am using it corrently and yes this service is very good... as u dont need to install any software just some change in TCP/IP settings and u r on with their DNS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom