any good archivers around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

netcracker

Journeyman
I used the digits zip genious and it suxes.It is full o f errors and takes quit some time to start. :x

The best as far as I have seen is winrar :D

please tell me if anybody knows any other that are good :?:

JAK

What the Heck !
hmm...

well i use "PowerArchiver"..... :wink:

Multiple Formats Support

PowerArchiver has native support for most popular compressed and encoded formats currently in use. All formats are fully integrated into PowerArchiver, so you can utilize all PowerArchiver tools with each of them.
Read and write support for ZIP, 7-ZIP, CAB, LHA (LZH), TAR, GZIP, BZIP2, BH, XXE, UUE, yENC, and MIME (Base 64)
Read support for: RAR, ARJ, ARC, ACE, ZOO

For more go here(features)

aalaap

Right off the assembly line
7-Zip, TUGZip, IZarc and ICEOWS...

WinRAR is good, but its not free. There are quite a few good alternatives out there that are free and also support much more than just zip, rar and iso, for example...

7-zip
Very light and compact. Only lacks drag and drop (outside of archive), otherwise one of the best.

TUGZip
Supports drag and drop and also copy-paste like WinRAR. Not the lightest...

IZarc
No copy/paste, but lighter than Tug. Give it a try.

ICEOWS
Integrates into Explorer almost like the default XP Zip folders.

I can't really pick one out because of their varied pros and cons. Get them all and find one that suits your requirement. All free anyway!

- Aalaap

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
yo ppl
the compression depends upon the type of data that u want to compress....for eg, wav files can be compressed more than mp3s.
but tests say that 7 zip format wins by a whisker against the rar format
so its 7z>rar>zip.(dunno abt tar/gzip/bzip tho)
but winrar rox as an application, most flexible, kicks winzip's @$$. but 7-zip cud give it a run for its money as it is also good (tho not as advanced in terms of ease of use and the like) and most of all, 7-zip is free software.
but i'll stick to winrar for the time being :D

G

gxsaurav

7zip is highest in compressioon, but slowest in operation, in all the compression algorithem available, Zip & WinZIP is still the fastest, winRAR with 4096 KB dictionary is also only 10% slower then WinZIP while zipping, but in zipping WINRAR is same as WinZIP

theraven

Technomancer
i checked out powerarchiver on jak's suggestion .. guys its really good
worth checkin out atleast ...
im makin a shift :D

Sourabh

Laptoping
winrar

winrar the best
small, smooth n the best

[Edit Batty] This is no warez or cracking forum

.......:::winRAR everything:::.........