Antivirus and firewall for servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpotter606

Journeyman
I need a antivirus for the IBM server. I have installed windows 2000 advanced server in it. Which are the companies that provide firewalls and antivirus for servers? Whcih is the best? Are there any special type of antiviruses for servers and because i could not install home editions on servers.
The server is connected to internet but is a file server. Internet is only used to update the OS and sometimes brwosing. It is connected through a switch and a proxy. I think there is a virus in the server but kav online scanners is not working for it.

Please help. Ask for any details you need.
thanks.

bit

Banned
If you are looking for software firewall then Kerio Winroute is considerable.
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6 (beta) is also worth to have.

Deep

Version 2.0
I am quite happy with Kerio Winroute firewall..pretty good and works like charm...

For antivirus..norton corp. edition is good...

Regards,
Deep

planetcall

Indian by heart
I am using AVG antivirus and Agnitum Post Firewall. Both are really good. I suggest you go for them or atleast give it a try.

Deep

Version 2.0
planetcall said:
I am using AVG antivirus and Agnitum Post Firewall. Both are really good. I suggest you go for them or atleast give it a try.

We are talking about server level firewall and antivirus here

devarajan

Journeyman
Deep said:
planetcall said:

We are talking about server level firewall and antivirus here

:lol: Deep planetcall is nothing wrong The problem ishe dosen't point out clear i suppose.AVG has AVG Plus Firewall Edition
It supports Maximum antivirus and firewall protection for up to 5 computers.AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall Edition is the ideal product to protect your single home PC or workstation from external threats such as viruses, the Internet, and other network users. :p

Chkt in:
Code:
*www.grisoft.com/doc/avgplusfw/lng/us/tpl/tpl01#Compatibility

But what i prefer is norton(corp edition)........

Deep

Version 2.0
check this page: *www.grisoft.com/doc/PlatformsSupported/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

check OS mentioned under heading Servers...

Please do not post if you are not aware about the things...

Thanks
Deep

devarajan

Journeyman
Deep said:
check this page: *www.grisoft.com/doc/PlatformsSupported/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

check OS mentioned under heading Servers...

Please do not post if you are not aware about the things...

Thanks
Deep

Sorry for the above post deep but look here:
Code:
*www.grisoft.com/doc/29/lng/us/tpl/tpl01?lic=l_fse

Code:
*www.grisoft.com/doc/29/lng/us/tpl/tpl01?lic=l_net

Deep

Version 2.0
But the link you provided were of not server version right?

Have you ever used the server version? The guy Planetcall is not talking about the server version...

for server level norton antivirus is used or antivirius by mcafee (comes with kerio winroute firewall) is used...

Those are better for server level protection...I have used so know them...

Deep

devarajan

Journeyman
The link i gave has's a MS Windows NT Server 4.0
MS Windows 2000 server
MS Windows 2003 Server
MS Windows 2003 Server x64 Edition .

I have used windows 2003 sever deep.YA deep
The guy Planetcall is not talking about the server version...
And ur right norton is better.

Deep

Version 2.0
I meant the links you had given previously...not in last msg but the msg before that

devarajan

Journeyman
Deep said:
I meant the links you had given previously...not in last msg but the msg before that

Ya deep the link i have given(previously)were not server.I feel sorry for that :cry: And the link i provide after is server. :lol: :p

OP
hpotter606

hpotter606

Journeyman
Thanks for your help deep and devarajan. I have installed norton corp edition in the server. Soon i will also install the firewall.

But....
Do i require to install firewall on proxy server too? The proxy server is a linux server. i think my father told me that there is a firewall in it already. But still if you have any suggetion which firewalll to use, please let me know.
Thanks again.

devarajan

Journeyman
hpotter606 said:
Thanks for your help deep and devarajan. I have installed norton corp edition in the server. Soon i will also install the firewall.

But....
Do i require to install firewall on proxy server too? The proxy server is a linux server. i think my father told me that there is a firewall in it already. But still if you have any suggetion which firewalll to use, please let me know.
Thanks again.

Chkt in
Code:
*www.grennan.com/Firewall-HOWTO.html

Code:
  *www.trustix.com/

what i feel is that u have a firewall in it.It must be strong i suppose so need of further.Anyway better PM deep and as the expert :lol: .(In case he dosen't reply). :p

Deep

Version 2.0
hpotter606 said:

But....
Thanks again.

For antivirus, you dont have to install any firewall...but for linux squid is a good solution for proxy server..for windows..as I mentioned earlier...Kerio Winroute firewall is very good...

Regards,
Deep

digen

Youngling
hpotter606 said:
The server is connected to internet but is a file server. Internet is only used to update the OS and sometimes brwosing.

Although this might not been the right time for me to jump in but I fail to understand why would one use a server to browse the Internet ?It baffles me to be frank.

If servers were used for browsing then what difference is between a workstation & a server apart from the hardware.Forgive me but the analogy would be a clerk & the principal sharing the same chair in college office!

*No offence meant to either clerks nor principals worldover.

Inafct it makes me believe that your server was infected because of such casual browsing & similar actions.

Anyways we at workplace are bound with Norton Corporate Edition(i'm not a fan of norton but company policies you see :|).All traffic flows through Dans guardian ( *dansguardian.org/ ) which has Iptables running on it to block unwanted traffic coming inbound.Plus we got a hardware firewall in place.

I would suggest you to configure your Squid machine with iptables according to your needs & network requirement.

OP
hpotter606

hpotter606

Journeyman
I know the server was infected because of browsing(not casual). We are currently starting an enterprise and we have to use server too for the working as we cant afford many computers.

I am in hurry right now but i will reply later...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom