Another Star has born!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaithy

In the zone
Hello!!
In the Horizon of the Linux Distros another star has come to delight the Linux enthusiast..

Granular Linux.0.90 based on PCLinux OS is clearly the one of the eye handy and pleasant surprise pack of both kde and xfce combine..
Here see the screenhot here..

*granular-linux.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=14&pos=1

praka123

left this forum longback
this Linux bites kicking the arse of Ignorant Fanboys & :D :lol:

@vaithy:sure pclinux os is eye candy,now this too does got problem for updating packages?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Can you guys give more information on this. Whats the current version of PCQLinux? I checked the download page of Granular but there was some server error. And where can I download the latest version PCQLinux .

praka123

left this forum longback
^ the site works well!.and granular is not a fork of PCQ(uest) Linux,but of PC Linux OS,which is getting very popular now a days for eye-candy.
btwn for eye-candy,count Linux-mint too ;)

OP
V

vaithy

In the zone
Dear Pralka123,

I believe I am older than you, so Pl took my words . I am new to this forum.. so i am trying to under standing the behavior of members among themselves..
Whatever the opposition belief views, don't use any harsh word on them ( ofcourse others are also criticizing you or mimicking you but you must show your coolness there) I know younger men always like that..I know I am not mod here.. but since I like your resourceful energy in expression of FOSS concepts, I like more members here should listen to your words..But unless you convert your foes as friends it is not going to happen..

about the distro I posted,only saw the news in distro-watch site then visit this site.. immediately I seen the problem of server download.. ofcourse they give another link..I'll download it in the morning ( HOme plan500 Dataone) then report it..

Thanking you,
with regards,
vaithy

praka123

left this forum longback
@vaithy:thx for ur concern.but may be am too getting older.did u know tat i am 28! :D ;) and still here with teens!and i think i know u if ur there in pcq forums

OP
V

vaithy

In the zone
gx_saurav said:
Gr8, another Linux

How is this different from all the others out there?

Dear gx_saurav!!

That is the greatness in Linux.. every Linux distro has followed different types of
functionallity...i use Nine distros along with Win XP in my two HDD, and one is PClinux OS ( which is now threatened the Top position of Ubuntu leadership) which is based on kde.. and another is SAM pclinux OS (clone of PcLinux OS) based on XFCE...in distrowatch ranking chart it stand at the 33rd place(which is not a correct ranking) so nobody known about it.. it show the full power of XFCE and it prove that XFCE has more matured..

So now Granular claimed that it combine the kde and XFCE desktop.. I'll report it after I downloading and installing in my system//

Thanking you,
with regards,
Vaithy

praka123 said:
@vaithy:thx for ur concern.but may be am too getting older.did u know tat i am 28! :D ;) and still here with teens!and i think i know u if ur there in pcq forums

Well I'll come to PCQ if some interesting subjects available...
with regards,
vaithy

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
vaithy said:
Dear gx_saurav!!

That is the greatness in Linux.. every Linux distro has followed different types of
functionallity...i use Nine distros along with Win XP in my two HDD, and one is PClinux OS ( which is now threatened the Top position of Ubuntu leadership) which is based on kde.. and another is SAM pclinux OS (clone of PcLinux OS) based on XFCE...in distrowatch ranking chart it stand at the 33rd place(which is not a correct ranking) so nobody known about it.. it show the full power of XFCE and it prove that XFCE has more matured..

So now Granular claimed that it combine the kde and XFCE desktop.. I'll report it after I downloading and installing in my system//

Thanking you,
with regards,
Vaithy
>> /dev/null

mediator

Technomancer
vaithy said:
Dear gx_saurav!!

Thanking you,
with regards,
Vaithy

Well I'll come to PCQ if some interesting subjects available...
with regards,
vaithy
Nine? :shock: Don't mind but please try openBSD too and if possible do give a review. I'm planning to install it!

OP
V

vaithy

In the zone
mediator said:
Nine? :shock: Don't mind but please try openBSD too and if possible do give a review. I'm planning to install it!

All the distros are using Grub as boot loader so it is easy.. but I don't know the BSD type, I am not a techie..can you clarify me if I format one of the partition then install the Pc BSD/Free BSD whether it recognize my other OSes including the Windows XP, if so, I am raring to go, I don.t want to lose other distros..

Vaithy

mediator

Technomancer
vaithy said:
All the distros are using Grub as boot loader so it is easy.. but I don't know the BSD type, I am not a techie..can you clarify me if I format one of the partition then install the Pc BSD/Free BSD whether it recognize my other OSes including the Windows XP, if so, I am raring to go, I don.t want to lose other distros..

Vaithy
Well, I installed PCBSD on VMWARE in the past, but didn't use it becoz of my dying PC. Its installation is sum wat different. I guess it used 1 partition and made logical i.e swap and root partition from it. That was an year ago I guess. So u can simply install it with Ubuntu on VMWARE first and check for urself!!

OP
V

vaithy

In the zone
mediator said:
Well, I installed PCBSD on VMWARE in the past, but didn't use it becoz of my dying PC. Its installation is sum wat different. I guess it used 1 partition and made logical i.e swap and root partition from it. That was an year ago I guess. So u can simply install it with Ubuntu on VMWARE first and check for urself!!

I didn't use Vmware..I beleive vmware could not support more than two or three distros may be I am wrong.. If some body use it with Vmware loading nine distros as I do pl.post it here..
Another problem with Vmware is only as the host OS is strong and stable the guest OS (s) can function atleast 60% of its original capabilities.. What if the host Os is not trust worthy(infested) or blowing it self.. all the other OS in the Virtualised block will be wiped out.. So in my method after installing the Windows in C partition then slicing the HDD for the number of required partition then install the Linux distros ( No fedora Pl) in the root partitions of the particular Os than installed the last OS in the MBR ( Ubuntu or it variant) than the ubuntu will show all the Os in the Grub boot loader so you has many choice..If any one of the OS is blowing itself(Windows) all the other OSes are safe...If you want some other new Distro.. simply format the required partition than install the distro there just simply edit the menu.lst entries of Ubuntu about the new OS.. that is all..

Thanking you,
with regards,
vaithy

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
praka123 said:

LOL... 28 :D

mediator

Technomancer
vaithy said:
I didn't use Vmware..I beleive vmware could not support more than two or three distros may be I am wrong.. If some body use it with Vmware loading nine distros as I do pl.post it here..
Another problem with Vmware is only as the host OS is strong and stable the guest OS (s) can function atleast 60% of its original capabilities.. What if the host Os is not trust worthy(infested) or blowing it self.. all the other OS in the Virtualised block will be wiped out.. So in my method after installing the Windows in C partition then slicing the HDD for the number of required partition then install the Linux distros ( No fedora Pl) in the root partitions of the particular Os than installed the last OS in the MBR ( Ubuntu or it variant) than the ubuntu will show all the Os in the Grub boot loader so you has many choice..If any one of the OS is blowing itself(Windows) all the other OSes are safe...If you want some other new Distro.. simply format the required partition than install the distro there just simply edit the menu.lst entries of Ubuntu about the new OS.. that is all..

Thanking you,
with regards,
vaithy
Noooo...who telling to check for functionalities? Just install win-98 on vmware and check for BSD installation! We are after installation and partition aren't we?

rocket357

Security freak
vaithy said:
i use Nine distros along with Win XP in my two HDD, and one is PClinux OS ( which is now threatened the Top position of Ubuntu leadership) which is based on kde.. and another is SAM pclinux OS (clone of PcLinux OS) based on XFCE...in distrowatch ranking chart it stand at the 33rd place(which is not a correct ranking) so nobody known about it.. it show the full power of XFCE and it prove that XFCE has more matured..

Good God, man! Nine distros AND XP? How could you possibly need ten operating systems on your machine at the same time? I think my machine is getting crowded when I have more than two...Gentoo will always be there and usually FreeBSD or OpenBSD...but never more than three at any given time. (And it's not lack of space, mind you...I have sufficient hard drive space).

Just curious...and I'll have to second the motion for vmware...or perhaps Qemu (or Bochs, if you really have a strange setup that needs some serious tweaking).

OP
V

vaithy

In the zone
rocket357 said:
Good God, man! Nine distros AND XP? How could you possibly need ten operating systems on your machine at the same time? I think my machine is getting crowded when I have more than two...Gentoo will always be there and usually FreeBSD or OpenBSD...but never more than three at any given time. (And it's not lack of space, mind you...I have sufficient hard drive space).

Just curious...and I'll have to second the motion for vmware...or perhaps Qemu (or Bochs, if you really have a strange setup that needs some serious tweaking).

I do'nt need all the distros.. Only Windows XP (for my kids) and three or four distros (Linux mint, Pclinux OS SAM pclinux, and Dreamlinux. Previously I constantly used all the version of Fedora and Suse but now they are the one absent from my system.. inthier place little known distros taken in place.. My only failure is installation of gentoo, and vector Linux...Gentoo is new concept.. so its clone Sabayan.. but Vector Linux was very beautiful but on installation it don't recognise my other distro.. Because its uses Lilo as its boot loader, where as my other distros are Grub ..

Granular installation:

Today as I promised, I installed Granular..( after formatting (SAMPclinux partition)..
When I boot the live cd.. I was struck by the very very white vista like boot screen..next typical Pclinux question( or Mandriva after wards it give me two options Guest and Root.. I logged as Root as my password as root..
Again I was struck by the second blast.. The Granular menu items are entirely new themes just like Linux mint but it differ from its approach Simply point the mouse and the submenu slided with grace again the Very very whiteness is striking..
It has 'instal granular' icon in the desktop and for the new bie installation help menu file also there.. installation is very much breze as it asked only few question and mine has already partioned it straight forward start the installtion process just in a 6 minutes installation is over..in my slow sempron machine which is running at 1 Ghz speed on the old Via km233 motherboard DDRRAM 512, ( because my frequent installation and non UPS function , frequent power cut , make the motherboard is giving death signals but I would'n't let it go)

After creating user account , password and root password it asked me to restart again... When restart I logged in to user account but I was disappointed the usual kde desktop and kde themes ( the very very vista like whiteness themes completely disappeared.. ( later when I logged as root I got back the same themes( it seem it means for administrator only)

So far nothing negative tried every applications and worked like breeze.. However one minus point is Open Office is completely missing and minimalilsed Koffice is present This is a bold step instead.. I coulnot visualise a linux distro without Openoffice.. but thus they who have fast BB connection can installed via synaptic package manager..

One thing we Indians may proud of this distros is it was made by a Indian !! Yes
Jullunder based Shri Anurag Bhandari is the brain child behind this beautiful distro and he has only small community support,, because what happend whenPclinux realised its new version is now also happened his distro his server is clogged by heavy download,now he has arranged another mirror temporarity ..

It is not because he is Indian that I praising him , he raise the level of distro to the mighty ubuntu, by selecting the qualities of softwares.. if community support this distro may broke even the top ten sslot of Distro watch..

This is a must try distro and beleive me you wouldn't disappointted!!

with regards,
vaithy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom