Another reason that LInux rocks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
My 250 GB Seagate hard disk crashed recently. All data gone. Now i'm using the Linux Mint DVD that shipped with DIGIT to run the system. I connected my iPod to it and everything's working fine. The only matter of concern is that i've to reactivate broadband again and again after rebooting. But still its awesome! I wonder what would have i done in case i didn't knew Linux. Still wating for the replacement of my hard disk drive.

Linux Rocks!

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
You can try something like puppy linux to avoid configuring things over and over again. Puppy can be written on a multisession CD/DVD and everytime the changes are written over at shutdown time.

faraaz

Evil Genius
@aditya.shevade: I'm pretty sure it can. I'd managed to configure a custom live cd type thing of Slax on a pen drive, such that my 2 GB pen drive was partitioned in 2, so my customised live cd booted off the USB and I still had like 1 GB of space to use for storing my stuff on it...pretty cool!

mediator

Technomancer
^Well that certainly is an excellent idea...will try that!! DSL I guess is pretty cool too, installed on my 128 MB MP3 PLayer cum Pen drive! Its pretty neat and quite fast!

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
mehulved said:
You can try something like puppy linux to avoid configuring things over and over again. Puppy can be written on a multisession CD/DVD and everytime the changes are written over at shutdown time.
You kidding me! Awesome, man! This is just too cool a feature to be true. :D

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I would suggest against hafing Live Distros on Flash Drives. That will seriously affect their life. Instead a multi-session CD/DVD is the best alternative.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Desi-Tek.com said:
suse 10.3 just killed my display :( i am switching back to ubuntu

What happened man? Don't give up on SUSE so easily.

@faraz, I was talking about doing that with a CD not flash drive.

mehulved

aryayush said:
You kidding me! Awesome, man! This is just too cool a feature to be true. :D
It's an amazing feature. So, you can easily store your configurations and software at once. No need to do that every time. And puppy is really light on resources and just about 30 MB or so. Also, it uses special kind of deb's.
And it's really changed a lot since I had last checked it.
It had some downsides too like using ext2, single user environment but that should have improved by now.

mehulved

Dig it up yourself :p
Frankly I am not sure if slax can do it. Advantage of slax is that it's very modular by design and developers make efforts to piece different modules in such a way that you can add/remove what you want except maybe the core.

mehulved

I believe it has the feature but it's gotta be improved. The current method is incremental saves.
See *www.slax.org/todo.php
Replace configsave

Current configsave doesn't work perfect. Problems are in incremental saves, sometimes it works but sometimes it doesn't. So it will be replaced by changes= boot argument. This is implemented partially, one can boot slax with changes=/dev/hda1 for example, then all changes are stored on hda1 partition and are auto-used next time, without any problem. Works like a charm. Next step is to implement changes=somefile.xfs (to save changes to a file on SOME of active partitions, first partition with this file will be used), and next step is to implement changes=/dev/hda1/somefile.xfs (so the file is not found automatically, but is located (or created) on the given device). Nevertheless user should be still able to 'not save' changes in some case. We will need some 'snapshotting' to enable this feature

faraaz

Evil Genius
@aditya.shevade: I'm pretty sure you can...get your modules for SLAX, customise your live cd, burn to a blank cd...everytime you boot up, you have all your apps and codecs and what not in your Live CD...if you want to save data, just plug in a regular USB drive. I realise this is not as esoteric a solution as setting up a multi-session CD/DVD...but honestly? Its LOADS simpler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom