Annual Maintainance Contract - is it useful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
My pc is 1 yr and 3 months old. When i bought the PC the vendor gave me a 1 yr onsite waranty. I had two problems in that year one was with a CD drive which he replaced after a few weeks and another was a problem with UPS the battery was replaced. Now my pc's components has these waranties

Processor P4 520 - 3 yrs.
Mother board - 3 Yrs.
HDD Seagate - 5 Yrs.
Monitor LG - 3 Yrs.

Now what this guy told me was that the Amount paid will be used for the travel expences of the technician and he will visit my place about 3-4 times in the year. Mainly to Do a virus check and other stuff. He said if any of my components which does not have any waranty(Expired Waranty) gets damaged like a CD rom drive I would have to pay for that.
I found it quite ridicilous because a technician for my washing machine said that if a AMC is taken then the company will replace any damaged parts free of cost, except for Plastic items. Even the main control board will be replaced.

For the software things and all i can manage it. But im woried for my hardware.

As of now i have not opted for a AMC. But i would like to know what is ur experiance with AMC's.

Charan

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
warranty means u get replacement ,independent of wat the dealer says
it is given by the manufacturer

and paying ppl to do virus check is ridiculus :shock:

Vyasram

The pWnster
paying for a virus check. ROTFLOLWTIMEAMAP. AS FOR THE CD DRIVE, the warranty is over and they'll service it or replace it at your own cost. i dont think u can do much abt it

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
AFAIK,

AMCs (Annual Maintainance Contracts) are jus Annual Money Contracts :evil: :evil: given by the companies to extract money from users jus for a Virus scan, checking of wires and other connections wich is jus so stupid. DO NOT go for AMCs as each component comes with its own warranty and service centers across India and in every city.

I took an AMC long back (7 yrs back) wen the PC was a totally new thing for me, but all that the Technician (most of them are not technician but jus stupid guys trained to do sum regular PC work wich everyone knows :evil: ) did was to come to my place, open the cabinet, clean the dust and check the wires/connection and go away. SO please please DO NOT go in for an AMC (according to my opinion).

ANother thing to be noticed is that: BEFORE u take an AMC, the technician will cum to ur place, and jus misplace the jumper of the Optical drives and after sum time wen ur unable to use ur Optical drive (CD ROM, DVD ROM etc.) then he will say... "Ooh Sir, looks like ur Drive has gone BAD and its better to take an AMC as that will be cheaper for u and it will be in good hands of our EXPERTS"....

SO its all B*** $**t and never take an AMC, These guys dnt knw any thing of the PC.

Once my intel mobo (D 865 GBF) gone kaput and since it was in the warranty period, i looked up the Intel numbers and called them up. they asked me to tell me JUST the serial number that was printed on the mobo, and walla i was given a replacement (directly from the INTEL office) in jus 1 week witha brand new IDE ports and other ports wich had gone bad they replaced everything MINUTTE thing on it.

:idea: Conclusion: DO not go in for an AMC as they are NOT Annual Maintainance Contracts but only Annual Money Contracts. :evil:

Charan bro, I think this will giv u sum help as to decide if u wanna take an AMC or not...

Cheers n e-peace.....

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Thanks guys for the replys . Ok then I will not go for the AMC. if i face any problem DIGIT is always there :D . I do most of the maintanance myself Its only when some thing major comes. Like once the computer wierdly would turn off automatically. i thought it was a smps problem but later the technician spotted it as just a struck power switch. Now i have a major problem thats regarding UPS. Im not getting any backup at all if the power goes then the ups doesnt switch to batteries. the batteries are just 4 months old . it was replaced when a similar problem occoured.Now how much does a ups battery cost??? and the AMC thing doesnt cover UPS :(

mediator

Technomancer
yea sure never take AMC.....ask me!!
I used to take it 8 yrs back...and the when the stinking guy came he cleaned up the pc...reformatted and installed the whole OS for a minor problem....did a virus check...blablabla.....and after a week said ur computer is a gone case! Huh but it lasted 5 years!
He said the amount i take is directly proportional to time I spent in ur house for PC repair (Now wat repair was dat?)
Lesson: They just extract money from u and keep ur PC malfunctioned so it'll keep creating some problem every next week!

godsownman

Padawan
Hey,

I had got an AMC till last year. This year I did not renew it.

I have noticed that what was discussed here is quite similar to what I have gone through.

Plus my comp is 6 years old now . Yes my dude used to cover most of the hardware except HDD and monitor. But I did realise that it would be cheaper to buy the part the conks out rather than pay him for it.But you have to be able to identify the part right , any suggestions on how to do this.

Cheers

nach p

Journeyman
If you have enough knowledge about hardware and also
software then never go for AMC.

If u dont have any knowledge and just gaming then BOL.

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
Well afaik AMC is just tht the technician will not take ne charge for comin 2 ur place if u call him for a prob in ur pc.
thts useless coz we all are tht much xperts 2 figure out the problem ourselves arent we :lol:

q3_abhi

Youngling
Why is there any need of AMC when u can post ur problems in DIGIT forum? ? ???

Forum is there to help u in ur problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom