Annoying Pop up

Status
Not open for further replies.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Occasionally while browsing the net, a new IE window opens at random taking me to adultfinder.com. This pop up seems to be able to bypass my Norton Internet Security settings and firewall somehow.

I have tried a number of things including running Microsoft’s Malware detection, other spy ware detection and removal tools, even complete system scan from Norton but so far no luck. This pop up comes at random.
Has anyone faced such a problem?

ketanbodas

Journeyman
Yaaar its spyware. Dunp Norton. Use avast. And scan your pc with spybot and adaware anti-spyware. Otherwise IE actually has a gr8 popupblocker.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Go to Internet Options>
1. Under Home page>Click Use Blank
2. Under Temporary Internet Files
>Delete all cookies
>Delete files
3. Under Content tab>
>Autocomplete> Clear forms
4. Under Privacy tab
>Move the slider to 'Medium High'

Click OK

If this doesn't solve your problem, then your system is infected with 'Spyware'

You said that you scanned system with NAV. But it offers good protection only against Virus and not Spyware. Install a good Antispyware software and perform complete scan of your system.

Also don't forget to update definitions of NAV.

vasulic

Journeyman
Its spyware. If your OS is genuine Microsoft Windows, Download windows defender from microsoft site and scan your system with it and remove the spyware.In future it will also guard against spywares.

anandk

Distinguished Member
yep, obviously adware !:mad:

install ccleaner and clear all ur pc junk.
install any 2 of the following anti-spys : adaware, avg anti-spy, windows defender. update them and scan ur pc in SAFE MODE with them.

i also suggest additionally, that u download an 'ideal' hosts file from *www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
unzip it and replace ur host file situated in ur C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC folder, with this one. then make it 'read-only'. this way u will get an additional layer of protection against malware :)

kl_ravi

Journeyman
patkim said:
I have tried a number of things including running Microsoft’s Malware detection, other spy ware detection and removal tools, ....... but so far no luck. ........?

Install & scan using Nod32 ... its the best. I think you have coolwebsearch trojan which is not so easy to get rid off ...

Once your best antivirus identifies a dll file & says, it can't repair/fix or delete or quarantine it, you have to use killbox to get rid of it !!

It would help if you posted your Hijackthis! log file for analysis ...:smile:

Just in case you got rid of all spy/malwares, install Adsubtract pro (Its the best!!!:) ) to block most pop-ups, scripts, ads (incl Text ads) etc

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I will try them and hopefully I should be able to eradicate this pop up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom