An Outlook on KDE 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie

El mooooo
Free Software magazine Tectonic published a preview of KDE 4. Written by AJ Venter of South African distribution OpenLab the article describes how the KDE developers are going to "rewrite the desktop rules with KDE 4" with technologies such as Plasma, Solid and of course Qt 4. The article concludes that "when KDE4 comes out, it will spell the end of the traditional way of using a computer".

With the success of Ubuntu, the Gnome desktop environment has been getting a lot of attention in recent times. While I have nothing against Gnome, it is not my preferred desktop. I much prefer KDE's colourful, fun-looking design and integrated layout. So this article will be a look ahead at what the KDE developers are cooking up for version 4 - and boy is it hot in the kitchen.

With version 4, the KDE guys are not just expanding on the existing versions - although they are using all the strengths of KDE today as the foundation. The KDE developers believe that in the nearly 30 years since Xerox invented the GUI, the way people work and the things we use computers for have changed so radically that the very nature of the desktop needs to evolve. Maintain familiarity to lower the learning curve, but make it easy to do what people today really need to achieve - and it is from this starting point that KDE4 is being developed.

The magazine requires free sign-up to read the magazine so I uploaded it somewhere for everyone to see.
*rapidshare.de/files/15870723/08TectonicJanFeb2006.pdf.html

The article is a bit long and is more of geek oriented but for anyone who is interested in knowing what KDE is upto, then he/she must read this article. I would also urge all the GNOME lovers to read this article.

praka123

left this forum longback
Down down KDE :evil: :evil:
Hates KDE
GNOME 2.14 ROCKS
Tux magazine and many others are so biased about their attitude towards GNOME which is a true community GPLed Project...praising KDE will not let the Linux community grow.Let us end the use of KDE from trolltech with their confusing Licensing...I am a GNU and FSF beleiver,never ever support KDE..
Like the way Linux Kernel grew upto this level,GNOME also will achieve a true Desktop Environment staus very soon.version 2.14 is the proof.first the Win$hit users should leave using Kde and leave comparing Windows apps in Linux.While GNOME is a true DE for *NIX like Operating Systems has got its own identity unlike KDE waste which copies the most from Win$hit . :evil:
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kde#Licensing_issues

edit:anyway i conveyed the message i wanted to say-KDE $ucks! :lol:

Satissh S

Youngling
@eddie:- theres is some kinda problem with the file.. :( i'am unable to open it on xpdf and it's size is 0 bytes :? i tried d/l ing twice or thrice.. but still no use.

@prakash: cool down yaar.. atleast kde is community developed opensource project. I know abt the license.. but still maybe trolltech think they have to suvive isn't? :|

praka123

left this forum longback
I am having a problem with KDE.leave KDE use any other window managers,no problem yaar

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
prakash kerala said:
Tux magazine and many others are so biased about their attitude towards GNOME which is a true community GPLed Project
...and I guess you also think that KDE is paying them to do it?

...praising KDE will not let the Linux community grow.
hahaha!!! This is so funny I almost pee'ed in my pants.

Its time someone visited KDE Myths website
*kdemyths.urbanlizard.com/
...and more specifically
*kdemyths.urbanlizard.com/topic/10

In the end, this thread is not about GNOME vs KDE or which one is better or which one will "Let the Linux Community grow". It is about KDE 4 and what all it will offer. If you don't want to talk about KDE, please don't post in this thread. Start a new one about GNOME's excellent features and stay away!

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
Satissh S said:
@eddie:- theres is some kinda problem with the file.. :( i'am unable to open it on xpdf and it's size is 0 bytes :? i tried d/l ing twice or thrice.. but still no use.
Sorry about that my friend. Looks like there was some problem with the upload. Anyways, I uploaded it on RS and checked it by downloading as well. It should be fine now. Try again :)

Satissh S

Youngling
1. Wow i read the article!! technologies such as plasma etc., seems very exciting indeed. So like vis*a kde will have integrated search system using metadata.

2. But IMHO i dont see any flaws in old file hierarchy method. Ok metadata stuff helps.. but how long will it take for us to adapt to it.. remains to be seen.
Old way is Safe!!

3. But i'll be a fool to expect it to be fully finished when kde 4.0 releases. Since it'll be a building basement (platform), i think kde 4.2 or 4.3 wud be near superb and 4.5 or even 5 wud be real stunning. I do hope they stick with these ideas!!
May be not.. then lets wait-n-watch!!
:roll: ;)

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Satissh S said:
2. But IMHO i dont see any flaws in old file hierarchy method. Ok metadata stuff helps.. but how long will it take for us to adapt to it.. remains to be seen.
Old way is Safe!!
Old way might now necessarily be better way. With the ever increasing sizes of harddisks, that day isnt too far away when we'll be having 800GB / partition 250GB /var and 32GB Swap. If the Old hierarchy based searching is to be done, then it'll take several minutes for the disk for search for contents. Metadata caching and search techniques based on metadata is the way to go.

I also wish to quote that proverb The only constant in this world is change !

@prakash, please keep the cuss words and images away. Give proper justification before blaming any particular DE/Technology. From the link you have yourself posted i can see this clearly mentioned:

... After the release of Qt under the GPL, the controversy over licensing with the Free Software Foundation ended.

And please remove that KDE $ucks image that you have posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom