1. Hey Guest Did you know you can win an Honor 10 phone worth ₹33,000 and an additional ₹70,000 in paytm vouchers, just by replying to some threads and taking part in the discussions happening in the Honor Hub?

What are you waiting for? Start commenting and start winning! Remember to read the instructions posted here.

Dismiss Notice

An Outlook on KDE 4

Discussion in 'Open Source' started by eddie, Mar 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddie

eddie El mooooo

Free Software magazine Tectonic published a preview of KDE 4. Written by AJ Venter of South African distribution OpenLab the article describes how the KDE developers are going to "rewrite the desktop rules with KDE 4" with technologies such as Plasma, Solid and of course Qt 4. The article concludes that "when KDE4 comes out, it will spell the end of the traditional way of using a computer".

The magazine requires free sign-up to read the magazine so I uploaded it somewhere for everyone to see.
    http://rapidshare.de/files/15870723/08TectonicJanFeb2006.pdf.html

The article is a bit long and is more of geek oriented but for anyone who is interested in knowing what KDE is upto, then he/she must read this article. I would also urge all the GNOME lovers to read this article.

2. praka123

praka123 left this forum longback

Down down KDE :evil: :evil:
    Hates KDE
    GNOME 2.14 ROCKS
    Tux magazine and many others are so biased about their attitude towards GNOME which is a true community GPLed Project...praising KDE will not let the Linux community grow.Let us end the use of KDE from trolltech with their confusing Licensing...I am a GNU and FSF beleiver,never ever support KDE..
    Like the way Linux Kernel grew upto this level,GNOME also will achieve a true Desktop Environment staus very soon.version 2.14 is the proof.first the Win$hit users should leave using Kde and leave comparing Windows apps in Linux.While GNOME is a true DE for *NIX like Operating Systems has got its own identity unlike KDE waste which copies the most from Win$hit . :evil:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kde#Licensing_issues

edit:anyway i conveyed the message i wanted to say-KDE $ucks! :lol:

3. Satissh S

Satissh S New Member

@eddie:- theres is some kinda problem with the file.. :( i'am unable to open it on xpdf and it's size is 0 bytes :? i tried d/l ing twice or thrice.. but still no use.

@prakash: cool down yaar.. atleast kde is community developed opensource project. I know abt the license.. but still maybe trolltech think they have to suvive isn't? :|

4. praka123

praka123 left this forum longback

I am having a problem with KDE.leave KDE use any other window managers,no problem yaar

5. OP
    OP
    eddie

eddie El mooooo

...and I guess you also think that KDE is paying them to do it?

hahaha!!! This is so funny I almost pee'ed in my pants.

Its time someone visited KDE Myths website
    http://kdemyths.urbanlizard.com/
    ...and more specifically
    http://kdemyths.urbanlizard.com/topic/10

In the end, this thread is not about GNOME vs KDE or which one is better or which one will "Let the Linux Community grow". It is about KDE 4 and what all it will offer. If you don't want to talk about KDE, please don't post in this thread. Start a new one about GNOME's excellent features and stay away!

6. OP
    OP
    eddie

eddie El mooooo

Sorry about that my friend. Looks like there was some problem with the upload. Anyways, I uploaded it on RS and checked it by downloading as well. It should be fine now. Try again :)

7. Satissh S

Satissh S New Member

1. Wow i read the article!! technologies such as plasma etc., seems very exciting indeed. So like vis*a kde will have integrated search system using metadata.

2. But IMHO i dont see any flaws in old file hierarchy method. Ok metadata stuff helps.. but how long will it take for us to adapt to it.. remains to be seen.
    Old way is Safe!!

3. But i'll be a fool to expect it to be fully finished when kde 4.0 releases. Since it'll be a building basement (platform), i think kde 4.2 or 4.3 wud be near superb and 4.5 or even 5 wud be real stunning. I do hope they stick with these ideas!!
    May be not.. then lets wait-n-watch!!
    :roll: ;)

8. GNUrag

GNUrag FooBar Guy

Old way might now necessarily be better way. With the ever increasing sizes of harddisks, that day isnt too far away when we'll be having 800GB / partition 250GB /var and 32GB Swap. If the Old hierarchy based searching is to be done, then it'll take several minutes for the disk for search for contents. Metadata caching and search techniques based on metadata is the way to go.

I also wish to quote that proverb The only constant in this world is change !

@prakash, please keep the cuss words and images away. Give proper justification before blaming any particular DE/Technology. From the link you have yourself posted i can see this clearly mentioned:

And please remove that KDE $ucks image that you have posted.

9. mehulved

mehulved 18 Till I Die............

Now that's great news. It would be good to see my preferred DE moving forward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.