AMD's Phenom X4 9850 gets pitted against Intel's Core 2 Quad Q9300

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
AMD's Phenom X4 9850 gets pitted against Intel's Core 2 Quad Q9300

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/04/phenom-x4-9850-core-2-quad-.jpg​
We'd already seen a few early tests of AMD's new top-end Phenom X4 9850 processor, but the folks at Extreme Tech have now taken it upon themselves to see just how well the processor stacks up against Intel's similarly high-end offering, the Core 2 Quad Q9300. As was suggested by those other reviews, however, the AMD falls behind the (admittedly pricier) Intel processor in just about every respect, including its ability to be overclocked. On the upside, however, that lower cost will likely offset the performance issues for many users, and it does still boast "moderate overclockability" and run cooler than the Intel chip. ExtremeTech apparently isn't convinced that AMD's pricing is "sustainable over the long haul" though. For its part, the Q9300 makes the most of its four cores and 45nm manufacturing process, with the only significant downside being that it packs only have the cache of the rest of Intel's quad core line. That wasn't enough to stop it from snagging an impressive 9 out of 10 rating, however, with ExtremeTech declaring it "one of the best price/performance CPUs you can find."

Read More: ExtremeTech

Source: Engadget

emphasis mine

_

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
That's only cause games currently don't support multi-threading with 4 cores. Once they do, the E series is going to be left so far behind it won't know what hit it.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Please make something clear to me,
Intel's Quad's are two Dual's stitched together aint it?

And are AMD's Quad's the same?

OP
DigitalDude

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
^^^
Intels' C2Qs are not native quad cores... but AMDs are...

_

That's only cause games currently don't support multi-threading with 4 cores. Once they do, the E series is going to be left so far behind it won't know what hit it.
thats going to be far enough in tech-time... by that time E-series would naturally become outdated...

_

B

bigdaddy486

But I like AMD Now..........

For AMD Fusion, Intel's new processors are arriving, i think.

Why not Intel's Atom???

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
As Amd is Constantly beaten by Intel, there be a strong possibility that Processor market is heading towards Monopoly. i hate monopolies:x

However its still too early to say any further on this topic;)

motobuntu

Journeyman
here is AMDs VP claiming that AMD Phenom is 40% more efficient then Intel's *www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_n3wvsfq4Y

OP
DigitalDude

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
^^^
it was posted on January 24, 2007

and the title is "AMD's Quads to outperform Intel's by over 40%"

but it didn't.. Intel is still pwning with every new release :D

_

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
At least AMD has upper hand with ATI. I think the condition will change when AMD will finally move to 45nm.
E8500 is faster in games due to its very high clocks, which most games prefer more than number of cores.

Hrithan2020

In the zone
At least AMD has upper hand with ATI. I think the condition will change when AMD will finally move to 45nm.
E8500 is faster in games due to its very high clocks, which most games prefer more than number of cores.

Not only the clock speed(as the current amd x2 6200+ is slower than intel e6600 equivalent).I think the L2 cache plays a prominent role while gaming.Wonder how intel's nehalem processors are gonna fare now that they have substantially decreased the L2 cache(256 KB faster cache as comp to 6 MB)?

PS:Hope other factors such as the extra TLB,Branch predictor,hyperthreading,integrated memory cntrller,qpi more than makes up for it.(at least 40% improvement):?

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@Hrithan2020
Q6600 is faster than 6200+ due to its architecture and better instruction sets, and its shared cache b/w cores etc

But considering E8500 and Q6600, the architecture is somewhat similar other than no. of cores. SO games prefer more clock speeds as E8500 is better for games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom