amd xp 2600 temprature ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rama007

Broken In
hi all
i got my xp2600+ running at 333. i have cpu temp around 50 (idle) 60-61 (loaded) . i guess this is very high as my cpu is running at stock speeds. i always keep my cabnet open (both side panels are off) as my cabinet was small i also pulled out the smps and placed it outside on top of the cabinet. then also this is the case.
i have all my wires full so no spare wire for fans .
any advice

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
did u get that zebronics or mercury cabinet where smps is placed vertically and blocks the whole processor fan ??? . change the cabinet . keeping the smps outside might cause more probs(grounding ??? ) . well i had the same problems (same pinch again ;) ) .

if it isnt that one do one thing . try attaching an intake fan in the front bottom of ur cabinet and outtake fan on top rear . this will improve circulation . i had the same prob with temp , so i got a little more paste of the same make from another friend who had too much and put more on it . No matter what u do , DONT remove the heat sink and processor for cleaning or other wise . i almost lost all my paste initially trying to remove paste :( . plus it voids ur warranty if u add 3rd party paste like artic silver (amd site ). but thats still in debate .

where r u checking ur temp ??? try everest home edition . some utilities arent accurate eg. asus probe . make sure no dust finds its way into the cabinet . there is a thread here on how to keep ur pc clean on the inside . i hope its still there and not gone because of some 90 rule here .

"MASTER IT's ALIVE" : *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9941&highlight=filter

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Actually this is one wierd stuff for me too. I have the same Athalon 2600+ and no matter how low the fsb is the CPU temp is constantly around 52-55 I have it running currently at 2.2 ghz and play games galore still its around the same. I use Motherboard monitor and it shows the same temp. Wonder if this is a 'feature' of the 2600+ Bartons. My room is very cool so I dont see what the issue is. Oh and I have an iBOX cabinet with a zebronics 400w smps

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
mine runs at 50 stable and max 55 after games . for chennai climate this is good :) .

@ice : hey ur the one getting that cool sink cooler right ??? . i was wondering abt something i saw that . if i placed a new smaller fan on the side of the heat sink i have right now , i think it might blow air out more quicker and hence cool it a little . it wont cool as much as the heat sink cooler u r gonna get , but i am hoping it might work . anyway keep us posted on how cool is system becomes . if ur going for the sink ask if they provide artic silver paste too .

@rama : check speed of the processor fan too . according to the amd site u should be able to read the "AMD" on the fan logo when the fan rotates fast enuf . else it runs too slow . neat way to detect speed !!!

OP
R

rama007

Broken In
thanks lix
actually i do not have any fans other than the cpu fan. as i have 4 bays full so i have no spare wire from the smps to connect a fan into. i think i have to get a new smps (more watt wala) to support more wires and a gfx card later.

i just have one more query . does xp2600+ support dual channel ram or its something to do with the mboard only. accordingly i would upgrade ram.

kiran_aryan

Peter Petrelli
I use Mercury Clevo cabinet :oops: & I have idle cpu temperatures of 50C and after running resource sucking apps or games, it raises to 55 - 60C (maximum) and then comes down to 50C :lol: Due to my less spacious cabinet, my system temperatures will be from 40C - 55C. I use 2 cheap quality exhaust fans( both blow inwards). I kept a fan on the back side (intake) and other at the hard disks (positioned to blow on hdds). Also, my cheap Pine Geforce 2 Mx 400 fan doesnt rotate :oops:

OP
R

rama007

Broken In
lix
i check my temps through the pcalert app. provided by MSI. i also check the everest readings. they are the same.

by the way i ran the memory benchmarks of everest and got scores of 1400+ read 400+ write. isnt that low . i had it run on a p4 1.7 and it showed 1600 read and 600 wirte in similar conditions. the cpu fan stays around 3800-4000.

well the cooling factor .

never does my cpu reach 50 in any condition . i got 63 cpu and 35 system temp while running tv tuner application. through some innovation i got them lowered to 57 cpu and 32 system temp. i got a pipe from outside the house and attatched it to the cpu fan so that the cpu fan intake is the cold outdoor air. this is a bit weird.

kiran_aryan

Peter Petrelli
rama, since u got msi pc alert 4, try using coolerxp. ya really, i donno how it works but i think what it does is it creates a low priority process and issues cpu halt intructions and hence i think cpu temperatuire goes down. i use it sometimes to bring down cpu temperature, like after playing hl2 my cpu temperature drops from 58C to 40C ! it uses 100% cpu utilization when system is idle and brings down the temperature....I recommend u to use it when ur pc is idle.

OP
R

rama007

Broken In
hi eones

i did a bit of comparing btw xp 2600 and p4 1.7 .
i got both installed into the same cabinet under the same conditions. (diff mboards)
in both cases my system temp was around 30 -35 C
cpu temp of intel one was 25-28 C under load (Rollercoaster Tycoon 3)
20- 22 C idle

cpu temp of amd was 59-61 C under load and 53-55 C when idle.

i know that amd cpu's are hot but a difference of more than 30 C is i think unusual .

i can't even think of how hot it'll be when i install a gfx card in that hot hell.

lix : i don't think taking the smps out will cause any grounding problems as my input is earthed. and anyway my cabinet was not ground ( it has plastic foots)

i am thinking to take the mboard out and keep it on non conducting support pillars that way air would flow both in the top as well as bottom of the board. cool breeze of the ceiling fan will be then enjoyed by all (chipsets, pci cards, ram strips).

well lets see where i end up.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
u will end up with a bad headache if things go wrong !!! . if u really wanna reduce temp change cabinet , i have seen a lava cabinet from zebronics that have gr8 provisions for fans in the side panels and lcd in front to show temperature . 400W . another thing u can try is artic silver paste , comes around 400-600 last time i saw . or else a powerful antec led fan , one with bearings . antecindia.com , starts around 400+ . keeping ur m/b out will only expose it to other probs . i can test it for a while , but i dont think its really advicable .

read this b4 trying anything : *www.pcguide.com/site/warn_ESD.htm

OP
R

rama007

Broken In
ooops i had forgot about static electricity risks. thx lix for bringing it to notice.

ok i guess thats not a good idea. well heres my new one everything stays the way its meant to be. amd inside

but
i will keep the cabinet open and get a table fan and put it in the side of the cabinet. this way i will get the whole system cooled. hdd,ram,board,cpu,chips all. it would be better if i keep the cabinet near the window.

its the cheapest and best.

i can't go around buying any of the stuff u suggested cause right now i am in money saver mode. (for gfx card). in future i might do so
thanks buddy.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
sunmysore said:
The temps are indeed high......my 2500+ oced to 3200+ gives me 45C idle, and 50 after 2 hrs of UGs.....

thats cos u dont use ur stock cooling solutions. I check it up and the Barton 2600+ do run at that temps on stock cooling solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom