amd or pentium??

Status
Not open for further replies.

prankzter

Journeyman
i m buying a new pc .. but i cant decide which processor should i go for..
is amd better or pentium?? should i go in for a p4 3.0 ghz or amd athlon xp series?? I am looking for pure performance..
also will 32 bit app. run on amd's 64 bit processors?

SmoothCriminal

In the zone
Well.. Its AMD Athlon all the way.. Lesser cost.. Better performance..

Well.. I'd recommend Athlon 64, if performance is the only criterion.. mite be u need to shell out few more Ks.. never mind.. Go for 64, keeping the future in mind..

And yah sure 32 bit apps will run on 64 bit.. else we'll have to throw away all existing apps..!

I Think you should go for INTEL
why i am saying this ?Read this carefully then!!!

One Name Says It All

Perhaps not surprisingly, no motherboard vendor understands the performance capability and engineering specifications of Intel® silicon components better than Intel® desktop boards. Intel desktop boards are engineered to provide optimum headroom for stable performance.

A Generation Ahead

By the time you see an Intel desktop board it is already a second or third generation design. This is because Intel desktop boards are used exclusively as early validation vehicles for all of Intel Corporation's new desktop processors and chipsets. When you add to this our stringent adherence to only using quality components and the fact that Intel desktop boards undergo thousands of hours of design optimization, functional testing, and validation, it is not surprising that we have earned industry-wide recognition for our rock solid stability and world-class quality. High-quality systems require stable platform foundation and a stable system means less time spent with your suppliers and more time spent with your customers!

Lower Cost of Ownership

Superior product quality including internally developed advanced BIOS, exceptional system manageability, best of breed integration tools, and world class service all have a huge impact on our customers' business profitability. Lowering total cost of ownership is a goal that can be met using a stable platform built on a superior board.

Easy Integration

Building systems with Intel desktop boards means building systems that are easy to integrate, easy to customize, easy to sell, easy to support, easy to use, and most of all for you, easy to manage.

Each desktop board features:
Intel® Express Installer-Automated custom installation with web updates
Express BIOS update: Automated BIOS and driver upgrades
Intel® Advanced BIOS: configure BIOS to you needs
Intel® Rapid BIOS Boot: optimization feature that dramatically reduces system boot time
Intel® Integrator Toolkit: Automated BIOS configuration and system verification

Intel desktop boards offer a range¹ of software applications designed to meet your customers' needs:
Intel® Desktop Control Center
Intel® Audio Studio
Intel® Desktop Utilities
Norton* Internet Security
NTI CD Maker*
Musicmatch*
GameSpy*
Diskeeper* Lite
InterVideo* Home Theater Silver Edition
InterVideo* WinDVD Creator Silver
Farstone* REstoreIT! Lite
¹Not all software available on all boards

So better go for INTEL one
source *developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/whyintel.htm

geek_rohit

In the zone
Hey neerajvohra looks like you too are a diehard Intel fan like me. Indeed Intel® Express Installer is the best thing that could happen to installing drivers in a new system. It takes care of all the installation with a breeze. No need to take care of which is the OS and which driver to install. As simple as that.

babumuchhala

In the zone
Yesterday i went to get config for my friend
Obviosly i got AMD 64 2800+ config and when asked to give a similar P$ config he said P4 3.0 Ghz would only match it. And to match AMD 64 2800+ price he gave me P4 2.4 GHz.

Just look at the current Price - Performance ratio of AMD and P4, and make ur own descion

AMD

OP
P

prankzter

Journeyman
i heard amd's fsb is 1600 while max fsb for pentium 4 is 800.. does that give amd an edge over the pentiums??

CyCo

In the zone
what abt the problem on amd overheating ??

and then what abt the hyperthreading bit in intel ?? doesnt HT make intel better than AMD ?

theraven

Technomancer
AMD does not have heating issues
heating issues now follow the pentium line specially the earlier prescotts
dont spread lies ...
a lil information is very dangerous
intels HT technology makes intel better for intel
AMD still kicks intels butt off the highway
check the AMD naming system
amd athlon xp 2600 for example ( my proccy )
works on a meagre 1.9 ghz
it kicks the p4 2.6 ghz all the way ...
the gigahertz myth is dead
amd's 64 is still better than p4 HT's
ofcourse i aint sayin p4 is bad
there are places where p4 takes the elad and where amd fails to deliver
BUT AMD definitely beats intel in performance and price/performance ration

krisjr

In the zone
babumuchhala said:
Yesterday i went to get config for my friend
Obviosly i got AMD 64 2800+ config and when asked to give a similar P$ config he said P4 3.0 Ghz would only match it. And to match AMD 64 2800+ price he gave me P4 2.4 GHz.

Just look at the current Price - Performance ratio of AMD and P4, and make ur own descion

hey then how come AMD is successful in bringing down the price so much for..wats the raaz behind this..current reviews sure gun for AMD but i have heard it has lots of compatibility issues(it sure had heating probs),the geeks outts here wil tel u more abt it,but why cant INTEL give u more at low price and how come AMD can..any ans

AMD

OP
P

prankzter

Journeyman
wat r the prices amd 64 bit processor... and i also need a good motherboard to go it.. please suggest one.. and also the prices..

theraven

Technomancer
*business.vsnl.com/deltapage
get approx prices here
or check the current running sticky thread on lates hardware prices

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
Y don't you guys check out some hardware review sites like THG or Anantech and quit bothering poor raven there ;) .................. :D

Sourabh

Laptoping
lolz

poor raven !!

btw raven again thx for the deltapage link, it came in handy for me at the rite time

aadipa

Padawan
I got following just few days ago...

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (runs at 2.0 GHz)
ASUS K8N (nForce3 250 chipset)
ATi 9550SE 128MB

Total damage = 17500 ;)

Just keep in mind at with P4 3.0 GHz + i915GAV u can get onboard graphics (ok if u r not into gameing) while u have to get VGA card for ADM64's (which is always better than onboard)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom