AMD Athlon 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_logical

Broken In
hi,
i wanted to buy a pc with a budget of around 30000. I had posted my question earlier on the forum regarding whether i should go for amd processors. the reply was +ve. i was inclined towards amd bcoz i think i can save some money. when i contacted my vendor he suggested to me that i should go for a athlon 64 as price difference between them is not much and athlon 64 is giving an excellent feedback. he informed me that with athlon xp 2600+ he will provide me with a nForce based motherboard but with athlon 64 he will be providing SiS based solution. From my knowledge i think that SiS solutions are not good performers. Also i contacted one of my acquantice who too suggested to me that i shouldn't go for a SiS motherboard. I would like to have my following qns answered:

1:Should i go in for athlon 64 or athlon xp or intel P4.

2:Is my info abt SiS mboards is correct & also what r the alternatives
i have if i go for athlon 64.
3:my dealer has supllied me with following information regarding costs
of various components. I would like them to be verified:
Athlon 64 with Sis Mboard ==> 11300
Athlon XP with ASUS/MSI ==> 10500
512MB DDR-RAM 400Mhz ==> 4100
17"Monitor(SamSung/LG) ==> 6100
15" Monitor(Samsung/LG) ==> 4500
80 GB SATA HDD ==> 3450
80 GB non-SATA HDD ==> 2450
Logitech kbd & mouse ==> 1050
Cabinet ==> 1000-1300
2.1 Creative SBS Spkrs ==> 1300
DVD/CD-R (SmS/LG) ==> 2800

i m from ahmedabad. Plz tell me where can i cut down my costs

THNX VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
512MB DDR-RAM 400Mhz @ 4100 is ok.

Hdd:
a bit costly, u can get a 120gb SATA hdd, at this price of 3.5k. Even 160gb costs around 4.2k.

Logitech i/p device:
optical mouse (black):rs. 600 ; white -- rs. 550
multimedia keyboard --rs. 350
So, even then i guess it is a bit costly.

cabinet: 1000-1300 is ok.

2.1 Creative SBS Spkrs @rs 1300 is also costly, i can get for 1100.

DVD/CD-R (SmS/LG)@rs 2800 is costly... dont buy...
Combo could cost much lesser. not more than 2400rs.
And dont buy LG, go for liteon or sony which u cost u around rs. 2500.

so, RAM, cabinet, monitor is ok. dont go for LG, even if u want the samw, then not for more than 2400. speakers @ 1100. HDD @ rs 300-400 less.

dont know more abt processors, wait for some other members to answer...

OP
M

mr_logical

Broken In
well wat i meant to say was DVD+CD-R combo from lg/samsung was costing me rs 2800. so according to you i should not settle for an lg or SmS, the dealer had also told me that sony combo will cost me rs 3100. i too found the cost of i/p devices n speakers i bit high. i have heard that altec lansing speakers offer performance comparable 2 creative SBS at lower price. is it true??

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Ok Well The Samsung Drives Later On Cause A Huge Pain In The A$$.....The Tray Becomes The Main Culprit Later On......Better Go For Lg Or Sony (Although Sony Is Costly but provides a Good Build and Performance Qualtiy,Yea And The Lens Too Is Very Sensitive So Watch Out For The Scrateched Cd's :wink:).....As or The Altec Speakers Query Yea They Do Have The Edge Over Creative One's In Terms Of Perfect Bass And Overall Performance.....But They Do Come For Somewhat Higher Prices compared to creative One's.....Its a Small Price u gotta Pay For Investing in good Quality I Suppose :wink:.....And The SbS Speaker That Ur Config Has Distorts At High Outputs And The Woofer Just begins to Cramp Up.....Personal Experience Mate :wink:

So Go In For a Altect Just To Be Safe :D

drgrudge

mr_logical said:
well wat i meant to say was DVD+CD-R combo from lg/samsung was costing me rs 2800. so according to you i should not settle for an lg or SmS, the dealer had also told me that sony combo will cost me rs 3100.
Dude, sony combo costs only abt rs. 2500.

also i forgot to tell u that, dont go in for any combo's, buy a CD writer and a DVD rom seperately.
CD writer
sony/liteon = rs. 1300
DVD rom = rs 1550-1600

So DVD + CD-R = rs. 2900.
Combo =rs. 2500-2600

so go for combo...

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
The choice of processor is complex as things are at a transitional stage. AMD gives better value than Intel, but which AMD processor ?

At present the difference in performance between an Athlon XP and an A64 of the same rating is very small. An Athlon XP is cheaper and also has motherboards with better onboard graphics.

OTOH, an Athlon 64 system will be ready for future 64-bit softwares. This is the main reason for those with a limited budget to buy an A64.

Unless I missed it while reading your posts, you did not mention graphics. If you intend to use onboard graphics, Athlon XPs have nForce 2 mobos with onboard graphics which is definitely better than anything currently available for Athlon 64s.

It's difficult to give a clear-cut advice now. A lot depends on how long you think you'll have to keep it without a major upgrade.

SmoothCriminal

In the zone
Ya.. if u want ur PC to be compatible for FUTURE 64 bit apps then go for Athlon 64..

Otherwise this guide will help u zero in on a config..:

Techtree-Building an Entry level PC under 25k

Techtree-PC Buying Guide

OP
M

mr_logical

Broken In
ya i had completeley overlooked the graphical stuff. well most probably i will be going for on-board graphics bcoz i dont think i will be playing hardcore games. all i want is playable frame rates with no-all-effects-in-action. so i think on-board graphics is enough for that. by the way how much will the cheapest card which will allow me to play HL-2 will cost??

Another qns i have is that if i go for AMD64 then which mobo should i go for??

drgrudge

Get a Asus k8v-x which will cost around 5.5k-6k. (doesnt have a onboard video)

Onboard solutions for amd64 platforms havent matured enough...

IF u want onboard video,Get Asrock or gigabyte or msi k8mm islr for socket 754.
info:blade_runner

drgrudge said:
also i forgot to tell u that, dont go in for any combo's, buy a CD writer and a DVD rom seperately.
CD writer
sony/liteon = rs. 1300
DVD rom = rs 1550-1600

So DVD + CD-R = rs. 2900.
Combo =rs. 2500-2600

so go for combo...
what a mistake..., dont go for combo

and for ur info benq dvd writer costs:
8x= 4000rs
16X=4450rs.
it can be made into dual layer by firmware, and i dont know how far benq DVD writers are....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom