AMD 64 Bit PRO System

How long will the 32 Bit PC market last for?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

squid_rocks

Right off the assembly line
Hi Folks,
Back with a bang....... :D
I am planning to build a 64 bit cpu pc for myself.
Looked for some info on the net.
Seems like the CPU + Mobo will cost around 15-17k.
No idea on the other peripherals ......
Windows XP 64 bit is available for 1yr trial (beta)

can ne one suggest an inexpensive pc config using 64 bit pro?

cheers!
-=H=-
:idea:

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
Well if u assembling a 64 bit PC then it wont certainly be inexpensive ......although here are my suggestions !

AMD 64bit 3000+ 12k or sumthng ( u can go for higher) (The FX series costs much higher 35 to 40k)
Motherboard - Asus K8V
1 GB DDR400 memory (Corsair, Kingston, any good brand)
Ps wotever u do dont go for Hynix. Not that it's bad and all but doesnt go well with performance components.

The cpu and mobo here will be 12k + 7k = 19k. The ram might be 9k or sumthng.

Wots ur budget btw, so that the suggestions can be much specific.

OP
S

squid_rocks

hey buddy,
thnx, but the problem is .... i am looking for a new pc (dumped the old one)..... and i am not able to decide between 32bit n 64 bit......32 bit i got the stuff perfect...............but not able to decide whether to buy the 64 bit.
coz it is the near future for comp ind.
so i wanted u folks views on a 64 bit system.
so that i can decide which one to go for.....
cheers
-=H=-

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
squid_rocks said:
hey buddy,
thnx, but the problem is .... i am looking for a new pc (dumped the old one)..... and i am not able to decide between 32bit n 64 bit......32 bit i got the stuff perfect...............but not able to decide whether to buy the 64 bit.
coz it is the near future for comp ind.
so i wanted u folks views on a 64 bit system.
so that i can decide which one to go for.....
cheers
-=H=-

If u ask me then i think u shud go for the 64bit pc cuz it will be future-proof. It will be a bit costly but it will be worth it. Now-a-days ppl have started buying 64 bit based systems, so if u have the money then go for the 64 bit system.

OP
S

squid_rocks

thnx buddy :D

Like i have already posted a thread on 64biy pc config and pricing.
can u give me a complete 64 bit pc config and pricing. :idea:
then only i can decide whether to buy a 64bit or not.
as far as 32bit is concerned i will get a happ system for not more than 20k-25k.... :wink:
i have no idea abut 64bit mkt....
plz help :lol:

cio
-=H=-
8)

Sinnet

Broken In
buying a 64bit pc now is like buying a 155mm shell for a bofors gun when u own a AK47 :p
haha
it will take atleast 2 years for 64bit to go mainstream and till then ur pc will be obsolete :(
and even if winxp is 64bit u need 64bit apps to run on it :(
which wont be there as widely availabe as 32bit till next 2 yrs :(
so i'd advise go in for a 32bit processor like a AMD Athlon XP or if u can wait for Sempron :D
but since u threw ut old pc go for a AMD Athlon XP :D
config would be ..... AMD Athlon XP 3200+ / ASUS A7N8X-E DELUXE board / 256x2 ddr400 ram / 80gb Samsunng SATA / etc :D
and even though ppl r buying 64 bit pc's they run it in pure 32bit mode thus totally making 64bit useless :(
as for better memory architecutre and handling in AMD 64bits then my answer is AMD Semprons will have same inbulit memory handling :D thus making it equal to AMD 64's sans the 64 bit tag :D
enjoy :)

suave_guy

pedal to metal
Yes 64-bit computing is the future but i think its really not a practical option to buy it now coz u wont be able to utilize its power and efficiency with today's application.

Dude u've dumped ur pc at a wrong time. You cud have just upgraded ur older pc and waited for 64-bit computing to settle down.

I also have a 2 yr. old configuration now, and i'm going to upgarde it soon. I'll buy 64-bit based platform pc only after windows releases it Longhorn O/S. I guess that'll be the best time for 64-bit computing market.

But still if u are an enthusiast and have spare money to spend then go for it!

OP
S

squid_rocks

hmmm...some views there... 8)
well, if i tell u u guys will laugh...........but i have waited too long for this...... i mean i had a p2-400mhz and the other peripherals for it...160mb sdram, blah blah blah.....so i had to throw away my sys sometime............... :lol:
well, now that the mkt trend seems to be settling for the 32bit....i might as well. go for the 32bit pc.............that is my decision as for today atleast...............and i think that around 18-20k will b needed for the 64bit cpu + mobo.................... :?
and in that amount i can get a complete 32bit pc......... :)
so i think i will settle for a 32bit for now............ :wink:

thanks all for their views...............anything more to add? :idea:

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
Sinnet said:
buying a 64bit pc now is like buying a 155mm shell for a bofors gun when u own a AK47 :p
haha
it will take atleast 2 years for 64bit to go mainstream and till then ur pc will be obsolete :(
and even if winxp is 64bit u need 64bit apps to run on it :(
which wont be there as widely availabe as 32bit till next 2 yrs :(
so i'd advise go in for a 32bit processor like a AMD Athlon XP or if u can wait for Sempron :D
but since u threw ut old pc go for a AMD Athlon XP :D
config would be ..... AMD Athlon XP 3200+ / ASUS A7N8X-E DELUXE board / 256x2 ddr400 ram / 80gb Samsunng SATA / etc :D
and even though ppl r buying 64 bit pc's they run it in pure 32bit mode thus totally making 64bit useless :(
as for better memory architecutre and handling in AMD 64bits then my answer is AMD Semprons will have same inbulit memory handling :D thus making it equal to AMD 64's sans the 64 bit tag :D
enjoy :)

Hey Sinnet man 2 years is a awful lot of time ur counting. I personally dont think it is gonna take that long. Now-a-days ppl are viewing 64 bit PCs also. Intels gonna come out with a 64 bit proc soon. We've got 64 bit linux and windows OSes. I think games and softwares are gonna follow. Since we are taking the backwards compatibility path, the adoption rate will b slow but two years i too long by my speculation. But anyways thats ur opinion and i respect that......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom