Amarok 2 Development: Checkout proposed new GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie

El mooooo
This week KDE.News reported about Amarok 2 in its series of articles on "The Road to KDE 4". The article talked about proposed new features for Amarok 2 that the developers are working on. The most interesting and very likeable changes that we may see in Amarok 2 are the proposed new GUI and Phonon support.

Checkout the mock up
*static.kdenews.org/content/the-road-to-kde-4/vol12_mockup.png

I am sure all of you must be drooling by now on the new usability improvements and looks that this mock up offers :D To know more about the features that we should expect from Amarok 2, head over to KDE.News

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
^ There is nothing wrong in imitating something good. The point should be how to make something good even better and that is what Amarok developers are doing.

Even in its current state Amarok is probably the best music player available on any platform and the current efforts will take it in just another league. Read the link I gave to know more :)

amitava82

MMO Addict
It looks cool. can someone tell me where exactly it looks like iTune or copied from iTune? i guess some people just have the HABIT to make irrelevant comments..

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
amitava82 said:
It looks cool. can someone tell me where exactly it looks like iTune or copied from iTune? i guess some people just have the HABIT to make irrelevant comments..

Oh comon, it's not about a Windows\Mac fan, it is just something funny I found. Just look at the layout of buttons, playlist in the mock, does it rings a bell (iTunes, Yahoo Music engine). That is what I was talking about.

here is something new, try taking inspiration from the old VCR or Decks. The VCR or these days DVD Player is places below the TV set, means buttons are below the video\audio screen. Something seen in WMP, VLC player & a lot more.

Or better yet, make it like a deck

rohandhruva

Broken In
hailgautam said:
I wish it could be ported to windows as well..

It certainly will be. Thanks to the Qt developers, they have released OSS version of Qt for Windows and mac, so KDE4 onwards almost all KDE applications will run on windows. There is even a KDE4 windows installer in the works :)

Pathik

Google Bot
do u mean there ll be an virtual KDE emulator of sorts or there ll be windows versions of KDE softwares????

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
gx_saurav said:
here is something new, try taking inspiration from the old VCR or Decks. The VCR or these days DVD Player is places below the TV set, means buttons are below the video\audio screen. Something seen in WMP, VLC player & a lot more.
That is where your whole comparison is flawed. WMP, VLC etc. are "Media" players while Amarok is an "Audio" player. There should be a difference between the interfaces of two players. Media players need to predominantly play Video files because of which they need to have buttons at the bottom. This makes them more usable in full screen mode but Audio players don't need to work in those modes ever. Modern audio players can more appropriately be compared to web browsers or file managers where you browse through your music, adjust your playlists and go back-forward between various songs. This can be handled using buttons at top in a more proper way.

Also, just so you know, KDE 4 is being developed in close association with FreeDesktop usability experts. So every GUI step or move they make goes through various thought processes and are not selected randomly.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
From what I get, only kdelibs and kde apps will be ported to win32 platform not the kde desktop?

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
Yes. The whole desktop will not be ported. Windows-only users might never be able to experience things like Plasma, Solid, Phonon and Decibel etc. :)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I was just having a discussion on IRC on this topic.
I got 2 points, kde 4 maybe prolly ported to windows in future.
The second point is that you cannot run a DE/WM on windows so it might not be possible to run KDE on windows.
Also got this nice link *www.kdelibs.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
Actually Windows already has a few explorer replacements so if KDE developers go on that route to make whole KDE desktop environment to work on Windows then it probably can be done but I don't know how possible that is.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Great Gui!
i might shift to KDe from gnome to try it for few days
and see if kde is worth its hype

rohandhruva

Broken In
pathiks said:
do u mean there ll be an virtual KDE emulator of sorts or there ll be windows versions of KDE softwares????

No, there will be a native windows version of KDE. How it will be implemented, as a replacement to explorer.exe or otherwise, I don't know..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom