Am I correct? Is NTFS the only solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

I have Windows XP SP2 operating system, Hard disk having 4 partitions...all are of FAT32...I want to create a user with limited account and don't want him to delete/modify any files in the PC...I am trying to change "security setting for all drives"...but in order to view security tab....I unchecked "simple file sharing recommended" but still did not see the security tab....

I came to know that with FAT I cannot see security tab...I need to change to NTFS...Is this correct??

If this is correct...what precautions do I need to take for changing...I have many word,pdfs with "password to open".

Lastly how to change to NTFS...preferably in steps..

Thanks in advance

slagad

Broken In
Yes you will need NTFS.

Do not worry about your files in the Drive you want to convert to NTFS. Nothing will happen to your files. The conversion just changes the file system.

The command is (considering you are converting your D: drive)

convert D: /fs:ntfs

your pc will restart and everything will be taken care by the OS.

Go ahead NTFS is not only secure but more efficient than FAT or FAT32.

agent007bond

Broken In
Converting may help, but if you have a chance of formatting the drive instead of converting it, go for it. As you have 4 partitions, you can easily copy the data on one partition to a temporary folder in another partition, then format the partition you copied FROM through "My Computer" or "Disk Management" then copy the data back to the original partition (which is now NTFS). Do this with the other partitions one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom