Altec vs Logitech

Status
Not open for further replies.

nricexbox

Broken In
Hi, I am giving myself a complete upgrade in the home theater department. I am currently trying to decide which set of speakers to buy. There are the Altec FX5051 and vs3251 OR the Logitech Z-5300e and X-540. I have been told that the vs3251 is about equal to the logitech ones. These speakers will be primarily used for console gaming (ps2 and ps3), there will also be movie usage though.
I'm just wondering what I should go for. I do not want to go over the $250 price cap for the fx5051's, and I am open to other options.
Any thoughts on this are welcomed.
Thanks.

OP
N

nricexbox

Broken In
Ok, I'll narrow it down to X540 and FX5051. Still though, I really don't know which one to go for. Or why X540 and FX5051 made the cut.
Anybody? Anybody at all? Please.

hash!!

________
i've heard too much about logitech speakers... rave reviews... but never heard em in action... whereas, there wuz this altec lansing 5.1 analog i witnessed, in person.... it sucked royally... no bass, leave alone the punch.... local speakers do a lot better than those...
but yea.. the model im talkin about wuz a basic one... but then, i can still vouch for way way wayyy better stuff in that segment...
but then, owing to allllll the reviews praising logitech's superior sounds and bass, i'd vote for logitech... but then, even lansing has this 2.1 which costs 10 grand... and looks hot too... has to have good sound i guess...
bottomline: choosing speakers is crazy... google for reviews, forum posts by customers, etc etc... check the tech specs of the system u wanna buy... basically, R&D... blah blah
hell... whteva... i'l vote for logitech, for the sake of it...

OP
N

nricexbox

Broken In
sounds good. my cousin has 2 sets of logitech speakers. one apparently it not being made anymore while the other he claims is the top one now. I like both sets myself. My Dad though, has a crush on Altec and a reprised vote for Klipsch. I didn't like the Klipsch though because I just didn't see what I'm looking for. Granted some of it may have been 5.1, but the speakers were huge and sat on the floor. I'm looking for wall mounts of something. Altec is freaking expensive though-I talked to a rep and he said that its designed for a small area (hense the 6 ft spearker cord, as opposed to Logitech 14 ft or so I think). Anyway, Logitech seems popular and the most expensive model that I am looking at for them is $50 shy of the one Altec. I'm told that the "Logitech quality" Altec is the vs3251 for $75, but thats for a small space, so I think Logitech wins that battle too.

Any one else? I'm looking for any and all (experienced?) consumer comparisons.
Thanks.

Ch@0s

In the zone
*Any* Altec Lansing is tonally more accurate than the corresponding Logitech in the same price range. I mean *any*... blindly. Logitech makes boomboxes not speakers.

OP
N

nricexbox

Broken In
from hearsay, ill agree that altec is more accurate tone wise (that wasnt a "totally" typo was it). but I have a 12 x 12 room that I want to make jump with the speakers. if altec's have a 6 ft wire length and i lengthen that to about 12 ft, what will the quality be? as opposed to logitechs? as opposed to if it were at 6 ft wire ranges?
Thanks.

sakumar79

Technomancer
In my experience and from what I read in many reviews/comparisons, Altec Lansing speakers are usually great for music but perform only OK for games and movies... Creative and Logitech speakers are generally more well-balanced for all three tasks, but I havent had much experience with Logitech.

Arun

OP
N

nricexbox

Broken In
cool, the only music these speakers will get is from games and tv/movies. i will probably rarely if ever hook my mp3 player in--except for maybe when i first get them, just to see.
Thanks.

You know what, I saw the name "creative" and did some research. I think I will add the Inspire 5.1 Digital 5500 and since I am looking at a $250 altec (which is becoming a low probablility buy), I will also add the GigaWorks ProGamer G500 to the list, even though the $250 are highly improbable. So yeah, how does the Creative Inspire 5.1 Digital 5500 weigh in with the other altecs and logitechs?
Thanks.

Last edited:

sakumar79

Technomancer
Gigaworks Progamer G500 received some mixed reviews - CNet says its very good but TrustedReviews says it is not so good with music but very good for sound effects.... But note that there is no digital audio input - not sure, but check if it is part of PS3... If you can live with analog input, it should be a good buy...

See:
*www.trustedreviews.com/multimedia/review/2005/09/26/Creative-Gigaworks-ProGamer-G500/p2
*reviews.cnet.com/Creative_GigaWorks_ProGamer_G500/4505-3179_7-31322053.html
*www.pureaudioblog.com/26/creative-gigaworks-progamer-g500-review/

Arun

goobimama

 Macboy
Ch@os keeps raving about the Altec MX5021, but I've heard them in acoustically balanced situations but they were nowhere near good enough for the reviews. Pathetic and only useful maybe in listening to some classical piano maybe. Forget about movies on Altec....

Logitech rules in gaming and movies and keeps on par with others when it comes to music...

OP
N

nricexbox

Broken In
Ok, if Altec isn't going to give me quality for everything then its gone. I realise that for $250, it will rock the worlds of some people. But, I would rather not spend that much. Logitech is looking golden right about now, so just as a last option, I'm considering Creative. I don't have a model preference, so long as its 5.1 surround with 5 speakers, the sub, and a remote-and under $250. So please, give me your recommendations and reason. What Creative is in the x-540 price range and is better OR is worth it for it's price?
Thanks again for all the help.

Last edited:

suave_guy

pedal to metal
altec lansing MX-5021 is the king of 2.1 speakers...there's no doubt abt that...
the whole world is saying it...just read the reviews on the net
nricexbox...lemme tell u one honest thing....if u buy logitech ur gonna love it intially for its bass but slowly and slowly it will become irritating and u'll naturally start looking for a more balanced sound...which u can only get from klipsch or altec
underestimiating altec will be ur biggest mistake...and overestimating creative will be ur biggest flaw!
go for logitech only and only if u like mindless bass from every direction or if u want to create an artificial environment....but it definately lacks the sweet spot!

ENjoy...

47shailesh

Security Exp
+1 vote for altec lansing MX-5021 is the king of 2.1 speakers..
they haave adequate bass for home users and gamers there oice does'nt shatter in high volumes... + Build in quality is great..
In my views go for it. ;)

OP
N

nricexbox

Broken In
i dont necessarily under estimate altec, but im not sure its what im looking for. their customer service rep told me its more so designed for an enclosed area. creative, well, i dont know much about them-as i shop through them though, they have a lot of choices.
early i was going to buy the x540's from logitech, but my cousin has redirected my vision because of the dual optical thing.
so, i guess my choice will be logitech, its just a matter of finding a good deal-the 5300e's, 5450's, or 5500's.
so again, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom