1. Hi Guest
    We are running a survey about laptop service in India, and we'd love your inputs. Please help us improve the quality of laptop servicing, and if you've had any bad experiences, now is the time to be heard.
    Take the survey

All info about Honor View20 so far (come and share your thoughts)

Discussion in 'Honor Hub' started by SS22, Dec 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SS22

SS22 New Member

The news about Honor phone seems a bit outdated here. Just wanna update.
    Honor announced their new phone Honor View 20 in Hong Kong this week but the official launch is not until December 26.
    Here is the summary of some reports about Honor view 20 showcase in Hong Kong so far:

1. The in-screen hole display
    Honor claims View 20 in-display hole is 4.5mm, 1.5mm smaller than Samsung A8s's solution. It is somehow a little awkward Samsung's and Honor 's showcases fell on the same day. But I think Honor wins this round.
    Although it seems a mere 1.5mm difference doesn't matter too much, I believe that’s a big improvement in the display craftsmanship. Good job, Honor.

I like the hole-punch screen (compared with the ugly notch) and it actually extends the screen to body ratio to a high level, nearly 100%. If 2018 is the year of notch, hole seems the new trend in the coming 2019.

2. 48MP rear camera
    It may become the first phone with 48-megapixel camera, powered by Sony’s IMX586 CMOS sensor. This report said this sensor has good performance in low-light shooting and zooming in on photos taken from a distance. In addition, Kirin 980 chipset with the dual-ISP and dual-NPU can provide a better image quality with more details.

PS: Wanna figure out how much detailed can the image be? Anyone can find any sample pictures?

3. Link Turbo
    According to the reports, this is “an AI feature that allows simultaneous downloads over WiFi and 4G. “ Samsung released similar feature before but I never heard about it.
    “Link Turbo also enables better switching between WiFi and 4G depending on signal strength.”

This sounds very powerful but I still feel confused how will it works.

So here comes a key point: how much will view 20's price be?

Just check the price of A8s (Samsung Galaxy A8s price, specifications, features, comparison), it is about 29,900 INR, equal to 420 USD( that’s in high price range though).
    So I guess Honor View20 may be more expensive than Samsung A8s?
    Because with smaller hole and better rear camara (Samsung A8s: 24MP, Honor View20: 48MP), it seems unreasonable to lower the price…

Feel free to share your thoughts and update what you can find about View 20 info below.
    I also will update what I find here.

Some references:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/the-honor-view-20-will-have-a-48mp-camera-and-an-in-display-hole/
    Honor View 20 will also feature a punch-hole all-screen design
    What O-notch? Honor View 20 beats Galaxy S10 to in-screen selfie cam -- and 48-megapixel rear camera

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  2. Nerevarine

Nerevarine Well-Known Member

not_interested.jpg

give us qualcomm chips, dont mind bezels.

3. OP
    OP
    SS22

SS22 New Member

Lauched in China yesterday. Check the specs. I don't think there is a competitor in the market yet. The V pattern at the back is also very fancy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Nerevarine

whoa, such fancy.. much useless..always trash..
    give qualcomm, or gtfo :D

5. Desmond David

Desmond David Destroy Erase Improve

Are you affiliated with Digit Brand or are you a free agent representing Honor?

6. sam9s

sam9s The High 5 Flyer

Vey much interested ..... Qualcomm chip is all hype and doesn't offer anything that is better than kirin ..... Just dont blindly sideline the thing just coz QC chips have been there for long.

I have used all phones with QC chips only till now, including flagships like HTC 10, Google Nexus 6, when they were launched, .... also used OnePlus 6, for long ... and now using Honor Play ..... and I have bombarded Honor Play with the same loads of apps and customization I had with my previous phones. ....... and Play does not skip a beat ...... and this is not exaggerating, not even like 2%, when I say does not skip a beat I MEAN it ..... ... .. I am a very techie person and I use phones very aggressively and I can safely vouch........ play is one hell of a phone for the price .... yes camera is the only thing that is not top of the line, but its decent enough to get some really good pictures. Apart from that ... the phone is super responsive and I have not found anything feature in the EMUI OS that I can say was missing, or is not well thought off.....

And this like a common consumer I am talking about, not like a coder/developer or a techie who loves to rape the phone with custom roms and experiment the shit out of it.....:)

Highly looking for to V20 ... if it is between 28K -32K .. I am buying it ....

Why the Kirin 970 NPU is faster than the Snapdragon 845

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  7. Nerevarine

I understand from a normal user standpoint, kirin vs qualcomm doesnt offer much but No matter what chip you get, you will encounter manufacturer's planned obsoleteness. After manufacturer stops giving security and incremental updates, after say 2 years, then it loses a lot of its value. Spending 30K + on a flagship, only to have it dunzo after 2 years doesnt sit right with me + a lot of others in this forum. That is the reason, qualcomm chips ensure you have dev support even after the manufacturer has phased out the phone.
    You dont necessarily need to go full on custom rom + mods + kernel tweaks all the time. All you need to do is install a rom like RR, after the manufacturer stopped giving updates, and just OTA update whenever a new android version is introduced.

Plus, there's also the fact that the UI in these huawei phones, some consider ugly or slow. Were it to have stock android + kirin chips, many people would look forward to buying these.