All Eyes on 'Penryn' CPU at Intel Developer Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
While Intel's branding strategy isn't clear, Penryn will be a 45-nm shrink of the latest Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme processors. Like the naming structure, we expect the line between "mobile" processors and "desktop" processors to become blurred in 2008, with more desktop PCs using the same CPUs as larger, faster notebooks.

We've seen this trend in all-in-one desktops such as the Apple iMac and Sony VAIOs. Penryn should be the debut of Intel's 45-nanometer process, with improvements to multimedia instructions (SSE4) and a faster front side bus (1,333MHz with support for DDR3 memory). The 45-nm process allows Intel to make smaller, cooler, more energy-efficient chips, with the benefit of more cores from a 300-mm processor wafer.

In addition to the Penryn processor, we're also looking forward to seeing and hearing about the "Nehalem" processor. Nehalem refers to the successor to the Pentium 4 processor (the line which ends with the Pentium D processor), but that product was never released. Instead, "Nehalem" has been reused to refer to the next generation, 45-nanometer processor built on the Intel Core architecture. Nehalem is rumored to support up to eight cores, up from the four in the Core 2 Quad "Conroe" processor and the initial Penryn processor.

Penryn will also find its way on to laptops come the first quarter of 2008. It's the same 45nm process, with greater instructions per clock cycle. The difference lies in a lower thermal design, translating into a more energy efficient processor.

Mobile Penryn processors will have support for the 1,066-MHz front side bus, up to 6 Mbytes of L2 cache, and clock speeds surpassing the 3-GHz barrier. IDF sessions will delve deeper into the upcoming "Montevina" mobile platform, which will supplant the current "Santa Rosa" platform with a brand new chipset, support for the Penryn processors, and a new wireless platform that will feature Intel's push for WiMax interoperability

Read More

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
thts true but once u know that something like this is coming u dont feel like buying the current .... as in case of apple ... if they told every1 that new ipod touch was coming ... who wud buy the iphone :D

devil_me

Broken In
yaaa said it right.. after all iphone is nothing other than a nutty phone with futuristic ipod.. well i mean current ipod ;)

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
yeah right.There is no point in waiting as evolution will continue,always.When you go to buy anything purchase the best you can afford.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
n00b question; I have a core duo proccy in my laptop. Any chance one of these babies wld work in it?

OP
Gigacore

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
Guys there is still so much u can expect from Intel in next 5 years... its a suspence... wait n see :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom