All about Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 (SLED 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

antoniobc

Broken In
Hey guys! I'm at 24 * 7 windows user but after watchin a press conference about SLED10, I was just tempted to shift to linux and made a drastic change of changing all my partitions to ReiserFS and my main OS to SLED 10. However sticking to it is becoming a problem because of codecs and stuff! So I would like u all to test this OS out and tell me what u think of it and also help me with respect to finding codecs for playing DAT files and WMA files.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@antoniobic, Here is a complete guide to install all the codecs & packages to play
MP3, WIndows Media, DVD, etc., in SLED 10
Click here
It's all you need!!

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I had tried out SLED 10 quite some time back. It plays mp3's out of the box using helix media player.
I'd suggest you to install some package management software like yum or smart cos the repositories for SLED doesn't have all the softwares that a home user will require. I'd prefer OpenSUSe 10.1 repos for it since that's the closest match to SLED 10.
For multimedia you can install codecs like gstreamer plugins or xine + win32codecs or install VLC which will handle almost all multimedia.

OP
antoniobc

antoniobc

Broken In
tech_your_future said:
I had tried out SLED 10 quite some time back. It plays mp3's out of the box using helix media player.
I'd suggest you to install some package management software like yum or smart cos the repositories for SLED doesn't have all the softwares that a home user will require. I'd prefer OpenSUSe 10.1 repos for it since that's the closest match to SLED 10.
For multimedia you can install codecs like gstreamer plugins or xine + win32codecs or install VLC which will handle almost all multimedia.

THanks dude! Dont wanna shift to Open SUse 10.1 cause I like the interface of SLED 10. Will download VLC!

mehulved

I didn't say that you shift to OpenSuse but I suggested using OpenSuse 10.1 repos for yum/smart. Cos they will give you all the latest apps not present in the SLED repo.

OP
antoniobc

antoniobc

Broken In
tech_your_future said:
I didn't say that you shift to OpenSuse but I suggested using OpenSuse 10.1 repos for yum/smart. Cos they will give you all the latest apps not present in the SLED repo.

I'm a zero in understanding the Linux lingo with respect to which program does what other than the basics like firefox, open office, helix etc...

So whats YUM/SMART? And how do i use the Open SUSE 10.1 repositories for yum/smart?

mehulved

Yum and smart are package manager. Since you are such a new comer, just install yum and yumex, frontend of yum. Just search for yum in this forum. If you have any more problems post it back here.

drsethi

Journeyman
Suse 10.2 also has bugs, system frequently crashes, yast behaves erratically, Codecs and dependencies are big headache. Xine works like slide show.
However overall a good Operating System :p

Last edited:
OP
antoniobc

antoniobc

Broken In
tech_your_future said:
Yum and smart are package manager. Since you are such a new comer, just install yum and yumex, frontend of yum. Just search for yum in this forum. If you have any more problems post it back here.

JGuru had mentioned some link to go to, to add repositories from Open Suse 10.1. Yast is taking so much time to add on the catalogs! How much time does it normally take or is it unpredictable? Have been waiting for like 15Mins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom