AGP Confusion..

Status
Not open for further replies.

saROMan

QA Juggler
well 1st i thaught sud go 4 Hardware discussion/QnA ......but thaught this is nice place to ask for ans .....so plz donn bug me with q's ..coz i know where i am posting this .....

my comp is PIII 533 ....and a Sis mobo with 4X agp slot....am lookin for a desent card.... betn 2.5 to 3k where i can play some old games like Hitman..max payne 2..etc.....coz i cant think of new games like Far cry..panekiller , NFS ,Doom 3 etc..

also am thinkin of upgrade to 3.0HT ...with may b PCI xpress Chipset..so plz advice me what sud i do.....go for an PCI Xpress card....is it Back word comaptible ? ......or go for plain ...4/8X AGP card .......is it Forward Compatible ?

i mean the Upgrade is not so sure right now.........so buying a PCi card can be a waste ????

i am damn confused .........is there any card which i can use on my current config...and also..the new machine coz am not ready to wasted my money......plz help me out......

sms_solver

In the zone
upgrading yr pc mean u have to buy processor, mb, RAM, new casing, PCI Express card.

That is like buying new PC less monitor, keyboard and mouse.

IF you are planning to go for P4, no choice remains if you go for 915 chipset mb

else you can go for GeForce2 to 4 for ur P3, and wait for around 4-6 months, when the price of new 915 based mb and PCI-Express graphics card come down.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Well i dont think that Agp Is Forward Compatible As Both Agp And PCI Work Separately.....So try and Go In for a AGp 8x Slot With a Geforce Ultra 6800 (if u wanna get the best i.e)...and Well as for PCi There ain't much Cards available for PCI Express Support.....So happy Buying Mate.... :D

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
buy new PCI express system, the new intel's inbuilt graphic engine is very cool (as seen in review), it can cater most of the graphic needs easily ie you don't need seperate AGP card !
and you kno... the quality of onboard graphic is just a little lesser than the separate high end AGP card !

;)
I hav baught new pc few months ago.. so my chances are less to buy new otherwise i would buy intels 925 board !

Sinnet

Broken In
well this is a very difficult time to decide on PCI express :(
atm it shows no substantial gain in performance vs AGP 8x :(
so i'd suggestt if u really want to upgrade then go in for a AMD athlon 64
3000+ and a MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum motherboard :D
add to it 512mb to 1gb RAM and get a ATi Radeon 9600 w256mb GFX card
and ur loaded to run ALL the GAMES in decent quality :)
and this wont even cost u a BOMB :)

and the icing on the cake is the 64 bit tag :p
it's always good to flaunt a PC with 64 bits :p
thats all i have to say :)

OP
saROMan

saROMan

QA Juggler
thx pple..now am more confused.... :(
the best Solution i think is to wait for My new Machine.....till then Curse My old box......while Hopelessly watching the Reviews of HL2 , Halo 2 ..NFS2...and DOOM3 ..... :( :(

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Tel you what...the whole calculation depends upon the time you are willing to wait. If its more than 6 months theres really no point waiting for ..
I think get any good Geforce 5700 Or Ati Radeon 9600 budget card ....Up that CPU from 500 mhz to 1 ghz ( Get Second hand one )and forget everything....coz you know ..waiting will only kill your patience .
The above cards will get you through most of the games even Doom III .
So dont want ...

ranjodh

Broken In
see,i have p3 933 mhz and dont have any agp slot . i have 64 mb sd ram and will be soon upgrading to 256mb. Suggest me what to do.i want to have a graphics card which supports dx9.0 and can be bought for under 6000 . it should play all the latest games.i have 3 free PCI slots(PCI slots=Modem slots ,isnt it?) . and 2 USB free ports.
Please suggest me model numbers also.
Thanx.
RJ

sms_solver

In the zone
ranjodh said:
... ding to 256mb. Suggest me what to do.i want to have a graphics card which supports dx9.0 and can be bought for under 6000 . it should play all the latest games.i have 3 free PCI slots(PCI slots=Modem slots ,isnt it?) . and 2 USB free ports.
Please suggest me model numbers also.
Thanx.
RJ

I don't think any new graphics card which supports dx9.0 comes under PCI. Only suggestion I have is don't install latest 3D games

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
this for those who r only gonna upgrade koz of gaming needs and if u actually BUY the original versions of games . y doesnt anyone buy the seperate x-box or ps-2 for gaming alone and keep their old systems , with a few upgrades running ur day to day computing needs . just kurious as to y the consoles arent so much in demand here

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
the popularity of consloes is on the inc but not so much so due to 2 major bottle necks.

1) The gaming machines all run @ 640*480 pixels. So wont be able to tweak it go for higher eye candy and so on.

2) Sick broadband availability. A lot of the games are now on the net. So with the ridiculous broadband solutions available here no wonder gaming consoles aint popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom