AGP Card POWER not enough ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsoul2soul

WOW... are you?
I bought Geforce 6800 GS AGP CARD (which apparently needs from power from AGP slot and from two other molex connections)

My current Power Supply in Computer is 300 W.... Do I need to Upgrade my Power Supply?

I joined my AGP CARD but nothing came in Monitor and... Motherboard also didn't detect the CARD... although i connect all the connectors... "AND" the FAN on AGP card did start runing.

So... not enough power ?

HELP!!!

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
It seems ur mobo has some AGP 2x or somethin. Is it firmly fit into the slot nd whats ur mobo?
300 won't be necessary as the cards need 2 other connectors nd such a card needs atleast a 400w.
Get some 450w zebronics[650] if ur low on budget, nd if u have enough bucks to bang, get some Antec, VIP, Vantec or any good brand 400w. which could come upto 3k nd more.
If u want funky look along with stability, go for Zebronics Platina 400w pr 450w which comes with 2 LED fans nd is a good visual treat.

OP
gsoul2soul

gsoul2soul

WOW... are you?
YES !!!

my AGP slot is 2X... but im going to upgrade my motherboard and CPU soon... this AGP card is more of a sudden Gift... out of blue !!!

so... now need to atleast run it, while i can

So i should get a new PSU right ?

And the Card did fit perfectly into the AGP slot and... like i said, when i connected the molex and all... it's fan did start and all

BUT... then nothing came in Monitor and even my onboard "intel Graphic" was not disabeled... that means, the AGP didn't got detected right ?

Thanks... help please

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Detach the card as soon as possible nd dun even try to put that card in it again as it could permanently damage the card. Agp 4x nd 8x cards are not bachward compatible with 1x nd 2x slots nd even the voltage is not same. 1x nd 2x slots have much higher voltage nd i fear if the card was damaged. Chech if its workin in any friend's PC.

Yes u need a new PSU also nd probably with 400w or higher. If not gonna add more HDDs nd optical drives, then 400w would be enough.

Also whats the system config. As its an agp2x board even if it worked u might get only less thn half the perfomance of the card.

OP
gsoul2soul

gsoul2soul

WOW... are you?
Sorry... i think my AGP is 4X

Processor
Model: 1x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
Socket/Slot: J2E1 (Socket 478)

Mainboard
Model: D845GEBV2
1 x AGP 4X: 32 bit

Today i purchased a hefty... 550 W PSU, and guess what ?

The AGP card will run without any external feed (but it did show... not enough power)
Also... i connected only "ONE MOLEX"... and it worked fine... the game also ran, and most of apps runing smoothly, without any Glitch !!!

That means... the Second Molex needs to be connected when, im kinda doing some hefty work (overclocking or playing high res. games right? )

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom