AGP 4x on an 8x mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

samguy

Right off the assembly line
i am planning to buy a news system p42.8 ht with d865 motherboard dual channel, sata 80gb, 256 *2 400mhz ddr RAM

and i was wondering since i have an 4x agp card, will it work with 8x supporting mobo.
Could somebody also recommend a good alternative motherboard something midrange. Sata support is a must.

Thanx
sam

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
rest assured that the mobo u'll be buyin will support AGP ...
as all the present day MOBO's r backward compatible....ur 4x card will work fine in 8X slot...

as far as mid range mobo goes with SATA ... hmm
how abt ASUS P4C800-E Delux...will be around 6.5k
Intel D865 GBF ... for 6.5 k
or if u want sumthin REALLY cheap go for
Kypton P4VMA-M...for 3.0k((will support SATA!!))(( :x wont vote for its performance though))

Cheeeers!

justo

Broken In
if you want something cheap ....... go for mercury with intel 865 chipset .... for 4500 ................. n if you are ready to spend i suggest the Asus Mobo

resident_alien

of course i can tell u a good mobo but this thign costs 8,550 and its the asus a7n8x-vm which has an inbuilt ge force4 mx it may not be the best gpu but if price is a fatctor its a worthy chaoice and the board comes with a 8x agp slot
which means u can plung the latest fx or radeon into it and play games like doom3 and hl2 in all their glory.more over i recommend that of u really are crazed by games go for nforce based mobo which are the best integrated solutions. :) :) :) :) :)

OP
S

samguy

How to Differentiate between agp cards

Thanx guys
one more thing does anybody know how u can differentiate between agp cards of 2x , 4x , 8x.
bcos now i am not sure which speed my agp card is,
i know its is 32 mb card.
on the back of the card its written
KOB N620G
RIVA TNT2 M64 - 32MB

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
4x and 8x cards have an extra notch at the contact edge (total 3 notches) compared to 2x cards. 4x and 8x cards use 1.5V supply whereas 2x and 1x use 3.3V. They are not cross-compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom