After pre-fetching...Now super-fetching...

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
SuperFetch, a feature within Vista, predicts which applications are used when, then pre-loads them so that they're instantly available.

"Pre-fetching applications to speed up access -- or at least boost the perceived speed of a PC -- is nothin new, but SuperFetch is a first for Windows. "Most of those [earlier pre-fetch solutions] are focused on low-level decisions. What's happening here [with SuperFetch] is at the level of user modeling. It's learning about sequences of actions in a context-sensitive way.

Work by Microsoft's R&D group played a part in revamping Windows, a researcher said Friday, but not all the toil made it into Vista.

Microsoft Research contributed to the SuperFetch effort, a feature within Vista that predicts which applications are used when, then pre-loads them so that they're instantly available..."

Microsoft Predicts The Future With Vista's SuperFetch

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
Ya... I even heard of a rumour that XP SP2 itself has a secret super-fetch in it as experiment.

To enable super prefetch, all u had to do is to insert :
Data Type: DWORD
Value Name: EnableSuperfetch
Value: 1
in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

But then, Windows internals guru Mark Russinovich, he said this won’t work as “SuperFetch” string isn’t even in the XP kernel !!!

Some tweaking sites also state that registry Prefetcher settings
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters] "EnablePrefetcher"=dword:00000003
can be replaced by

"EnablePrefetcher"=dword:00000005
for better performance and lower boot time.
Actual prefetch increases boot time but enhances overall system performance.

MicroSoft states that valid values are 0,1,2,3 and there is no documentation whatsoever which states that a value of 5 enhances performance. I didn't get any on my part.

Some of XP Myths

Last edited:

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
When an OS requires 2GB RAM for smooth operation..such features don't really make it a gud OS....XP on 1 GB RAM will run better thn Vista on 1 GB...that makes a difference for users in India...

nik_for_you

In the zone
but i am not getting concept of this super fetching..
what is difference between superfetching and prefetching??

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
Read this

Funny pic:

*channel9.msdn.com/Ink/Posts/632623216165618777.gif​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom