After Dell, HP Starts Selling Linux-Powered PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
*www.efluxmedia.com/content/news/news_8238.jpg

The heavy competition with Dell and Acer has forced HP, currently world’s largest PC manufacturer, to start offering its clients low-cost PCs, with Linux OS preinstalled.

For now, the low-cost PCs will be on sale only in Australia for about $AU600 (just under $500 USD). The motivation behind this move is Windows Vista’s hefty price and lack of attractiveness and the increasing demand for Linux-powered machines from tech-savvy consumers.

Industry analysts and Linux addicts have long-ago prophesized Vista’s failure on the market, mainly because of its “hunger” for hardware resources and lack of enticing, new features. Acer’s boss Gianfranco Lanci openly criticized Windows Vista’s low impact on PC sales worldwide, saying that “the whole industry is disappointed” with Microsoft’s next-gen OS.

Source

praka123

left this forum longback
So Vista seems to be a failure from microsoft.I know,still vista sells because M$FT can threaten h/w manufacturers to stay with them.
hope novice computer users too be aware of alternate OS esp linux,mac(for rich ofcourse!) etc.Hp seems to go with RedHat Linux 5 Desktop edition with full support.

btwn i've seen acer laptop ads in newspapers that acer bundles Linux too.but version unknown.may be a old version of mandrake linux thus making customers getting wrong message maybe.
Let the people knows that there are superior OS than vista or mac may be.
my point is a new computer user must visit sites like:
*getgnulinux.org
*whylinuxisbetter.net
to get some awareness about Linux,Open Source Softwares.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
praka123 said:
So Vista seems to be a failure from microsoft.I know,still vista sells because M$FT can threaten h/w manufacturers to stay with them.

Microsoft doesn't rule Hardware manufacturers. If they want to bundle soem other OS it is there chouce.

Just 2 links...comon I expected 10 atleast from u prakash :D

vish786

"The Gentleman"
Intel_Gigacore said:
Awe....... i think Windows will be replaced by linux after few decades
I can imagine the future.
Scene: Me and My Son sitting outside our beach home. My son havin the lappy with linux trying to customize a software similar to Compiz-fusion, making eye-candy stuff. Me sitting and staring @ beach & tidal waves.

Son: Dad, this Linux is cool.

Me:Yes son, it is.

Son: I love the way it works daddy, we can customize everything to depth.

Me: That is why linux came into existence son, make it work the way u want with no restrictions.

Son: which OS's did u have in ur days other than Linux.

Me: (yawning), we had something called as Windows and Macintosh also..... and i never used Macintosh though coz lack of time.

Son: Do they exist today.

Me: I Dont know son, i'm already to old to remember those stuffs now, and u know i'm hardly into computing now.

Son: Dad look at this Linux Desktop of mine.

Me: Wow!!!, it looks awesome.

Son: I'm sending this Screenshot to Digit Magazine for winning MyDesktop award this month.

Me: Good Luck Son !!!

;):D

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
shirish_nagar said:
Hey gx, read that sentence carefuly. He said with no restrictions. :eek:

Have u ever tried reading the tutorials of Vishal which made Windows XP look & act like Vista? I guess U didn't

kumarmohit

Technomancer
praka123 said:
So Vista seems to be a failure from microsoft.

Wat ya talking man?
to start offering its clients low-cost PCs, with Linux OS preinstalled.

For now, the low-cost PCs will be on sale only in Australia for about $AU600 (just under $500 USD).
It totally agree that Vista is expensive but then - :))
Low cost PCs? Do you think they wud have run Vista properly in the first place. Besides, It's only Low cost PCs by HP in Australia. How can this mean that Vista has failed. I mean closure of a market which was no market in the first place!!!

Now is this not talking like RIAA! You dloaded and distributed music which a lot of people wud have purchased, when all the we activists of freedom have been saying that RIAA is trying to show losses where there was no market!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom