Advice please: XFX 5700LE or Asus 9550

Status
Not open for further replies.

borg

In the zone
Ok guys, Im buying GFX card in a few days. I was looking at the Asus A9550GE which sells for Rs. 5500/-. Techtree.com says that this is a nice card. Also was looking at XFX 5700 LE 128 MB. But here the review in DIGIT contradicts the one in techtree. Techtree says Asus is slighly better whereas Digit review awards more points to the LE. What should I go for. Another thing to be kept in mind is that my Motherboard has only 4X AGP. So I don't want to go for something very expensive which ultimately doesn't perform to its full potential. So any advice will be appreciated dudes

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
borg said:
Ok guys, Im buying GFX card in a few days. I was looking at the Asus A9550GE which sells for Rs. 5500/-. Techtree.com says that this is a nice card. Also was looking at XFX 5700 LE 128 MB. But here the review in DIGIT contradicts the one in techtree. Techtree says Asus is slighly better whereas Digit review awards more points to the LE. What should I go for. Another thing to be kept in mind is that my Motherboard has only 4X AGP. So I don't want to go for something very expensive which ultimately doesn't perform to its full potential. So any advice will be appreciated dudes

Dont even bother reading the digit review for making a buying decision. Also the 9550 is a toned down version of the 9600 non pro. And the price difference between 9600 and 9550 is arnd 1k so imo u shud go for the 9600np which is a much better deal than 9550. Stay far far away from the 5700LE.

[flAsh]

In the zone
GO 4 Asus 9550. really good card in DX9.0 performance and beats out FX5700LE. check whether u r getting a GFX card with 64bit memory controller.If yes avoid that card. Frankly both these cards are a DUFF :evil: !!!
I wud say go 4 a Radeon 9600 pro instead.

OP
B

borg

In the zone
Thanks a lot guys :)

Ok if I'm getting you, u are telling that the Asus A9550GE is a better deal out of the two. Also that I should consider buying a 9600 Non pro cause it is just 1k more than the 9550. Ok, since the 9550 is priced at Rs.5500/- . That means a 9600 should cost around 6500/- approx. I am checking the Digit review now (its rubbish) & I can see only one 9600 for that price. Its the Max force (never heard of them) 9600XT Bravo which costs Rs. 5500/- It scores 54.82 a compared to 51.91 of the Asus 9550. Looks reasonable enough. So should I go for this?. What d'ya say guys?.

Also flash, as I told u that I have Asus A7N266VM mobo. It comes with only a 4x AGP slot. So I think buying a very expensive card is not a good thing to do cause it might end up not performing at its max potential, don't u think?. I mean thats what i think anyway. Any info on the contrary will be appreciated. Also I am looking at ur suggestion for a 9600 pro. There is one Club 3d 9600 pro which sells for about Rs. 9000/- & scores a 61.79 ( but strangely there is also a club 3d 9600XT listed here which perfoms at 59.29 but cost is 11k!. This is strange! :?: ). Anyway, will this thing be good?.

PS: This digit review has me all confused & lost.

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
borg said:
Thanks a lot guys :)

Ok if I'm getting you, u are telling that the Asus A9550GE is a better deal out of the two. Also that I should consider buying a 9600 Non pro cause it is just 1k more than the 9550. Ok, since the 9550 is priced at Rs.5500/- . That means a 9600 should cost around 6500/- approx. I am checking the Digit review now (its rubbish) & I can see only one 9600 for that price. Its the Max force (never heard of them) 9600XT Bravo which costs Rs. 5500/- It scores 54.82 a compared to 51.91 of the Asus 9550. Looks reasonable enough. So should I go for this?. What d'ya say guys?.

Yeah u got that right i was suggesting that u better go for a 9600np for 6.5k, maxforce sucks, but you can get a club3d or gigabyte for 6.5k. Dont refer the digit review either for specs/scores/prices cuz they are all screwed up. The 9600XT is a high end of the 9600 series and outperforms the 9550/9600 by a reasonable margin, but it costs arnd 9-10k.

[flAsh]

In the zone
maxforce is a GFX card manufacturer, although it is not a hit . hey why don't u check out a S-media Radeon 9700. it's really cheap I think 7000~7500 and offer's tremendous increase over 9600,9600pro,9600XT.

the website of maxforce is *www.maxtone.com check it out
check out s-media website at *www.s-media.com

did I told u S-media is the company who makes SIMPUTER, the indian palmtop!!! and also makes a whole range of GFX cards which perform good (equal to those of rest cards like asus & gigabyte) and are cheap due to no bundled game and simple packaging.

OP
B

borg

In the zone
I checked out S media. No such thing as S media 9700. Infact they nothing except nVidia. Also where do I find the prices people cause I'm really having a hard time doing that.

[flAsh]

In the zone
just don't no where the radeon cards disspappeared. my friend had purchased a radeon 9700pro by order from their only. they r having currently only nvidia cards alongwith latest entrant geforce 6 series (including 6800gt 7 6800 non ultra). check the price of 6800 non ultra . it may b cheap b'coz it is made by AEOLUS company i did'nt heard their name. check web 4 reviews.

OP
B

borg

In the zone
Yeah, there is no such thing as a S media 9700. They seem to make only nVidia cards. Anyways, am looking at Asus A9550, which sells for Rs. 5500/- & Club 3d 9600 pro which sells for Rs. 9000/- approx. Will probably buy any one of these. Though not decided.

Keep the suggestions coming though. Any info on the cost of these cards in Bangalore will be appreciated.

[flAsh]

In the zone
I wud recommend u to check the price of AEOLUS 6800 and 6800GT (AEOLUS is the VGA brand name of cards made by AOPEN) if they r cheap like if u get 6800 at rs.14000~15000. nothing like it and it supports AGP 4x as well. but if u r looking 4 budget i wud say go 4 a 6600GT agp b'coz it has 8-pixel pipelines opposed to 9600pro's 4 and is blazing fast at rs 12Kapprox.(of XFX or GAINWARD).
but the final choice is yours after u r the one who has to invest money.

OP
B

borg

In the zone
I don't want to go above the 9 - 10k mark. So i don't want to see anything above that. These gfx cards are not a one time investment. You buy one today only to discover that it is totally outdated tomorrow. So i will stick to something in the upper midrange segment for now.

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
borg said:
I don't want to go above the 9 - 10k mark. So i don't want to see anything above that. These gfx cards are not a one time investment. You buy one today only to discover that it is totally outdated tomorrow. So i will stick to something in the upper midrange segment for now.
Well if u want it to be a one time investment for atleast a year or two then go for the Geforce 6600GT from which retails @ 12-13k, cuz frankly speaking the 9600 will get outdated within like 6-8 months.

And ur AGP 4x slot isnt gonna cuz so much a performance drop of 1FPS so dont worry about it.

@flash: Smedia went outta stock with the 9700 series afaik.

OP
B

borg

In the zone
hmmm.. Man seems the price keeps going one way- up! .Anyways, I was told that the 6600 is a chipset which will eventually be available in a AGP version for less than 10k. Is there any 6600 (GT or non GT) for say 9k or something like that?.

OP
B

borg

In the zone
Man I am doing a hell lot of research here. Im checking the nVidia site. As far as I understood, there are two versions of the 6600. One is the 6600GT & the other one is the plain 6600. Now the GT supports a technology calles SLI with which i can connect two cards for parallel performance. If Im wrong, someone please correct me.

Now comming to the point, since I am not buying two gfx cards, why the hell would i need SLI???. So in that case I can go for the plain 6600 just fine. Since u say that a 6600GT is available for around 12k, shouldn't the plain 6600 be available for less than that?. Say approx 10k or less?. Please sometell me there is a 6600 is available for less than 10k, preferably 9k.

cybershastri

Journeyman
I also want to buy a graphics card but dont know which one should i buy. My budget is around 6k. Can any body suggest me a suitable graphics card?

[flAsh]

In the zone
SLI is available only in nForce4 SLI chipsets that means u will hav to upgrade the whole pc (U "ll hav to buy a S-939 processor as well). moreover 6600 are not available in AGP versions. 6600GT areand cost nearly 14K. (depending upon brands)

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
borg said:
Man I am doing a hell lot of research here. Im checking the nVidia site. As far as I understood, there are two versions of the 6600. One is the 6600GT & the other one is the plain 6600. Now the GT supports a technology calles SLI with which i can connect two cards for parallel performance. If Im wrong, someone please correct me.

Now comming to the point, since I am not buying two gfx cards, why the hell would i need SLI???. So in that case I can go for the plain 6600 just fine. Since u say that a 6600GT is available for around 12k, shouldn't the plain 6600 be available for less than that?. Say approx 10k or less?. Please sometell me there is a 6600 is available for less than 10k, preferably 9k.

Yes there are 2 versions of the 6600 chip, the plain 6600 with lower clock rates and std ddr memory and the 6600Gt whcih can be used as standalone and SLI (SLi only if u have a pci-e mobo which i presume u dont) Now coming to the point, the 6600 is simply not available in AGP so if u want to get a 6600 then u probably have to change ur cpu+mobo which would be a costly affair. Although Nvidia had promised a AGP 6600 they still haven't delivered it. So if u wish to wait do so by all means............

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
cybershastri said:
I also want to buy a graphics card but dont know which one should i buy. My budget is around 6k. Can any body suggest me a suitable graphics card?

A ATi 9600 non pro is your best bet @ 6k.

OP
B

borg

In the zone
I called up Rashi peripherals. Those people are quoting a price of Rs. 15k for a XFX 6600GT . Bulls**t :x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom