Status
Not open for further replies.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
I'm using a BSNL broadband connection on the modem which they have given. The modem model is MT882. The problem is, I keep getting disconnected very often. The ADSL link lamp goes off, comes back again in a stable green and changes to a stable orange for a while. Then, it gets disconnected again. While writing this post, I've got disconnected atleast 5 times in a matter 5 minutes. It is really very irritating. I tried to upgrade the firmware, but that the damn firmware took ages trying to detect my modem and the software hung up, without detecting my modem :( I think, in a way that was good as I think it would have caused more problems. I have checked with the wirings of the connection between the phone, modem, splitter and the external wiring around the house and there's absolutely no problem with it. I'm running it on a PPPoE connection and everything seems to be normal. I've contacted BSNL, but they are not of much use. First they told that the server had some problem and it would work properly very soon. But my friends don't face this problem as our connection is from the same exchange. They asked me the values of the SNR and the attenuation which I told and they said that its a bit high and it should be <20dB. I'm getting around 30-35dB. They have been telling they will come and check it, but they have not turned up. I had not faced this problem before, but now its really getting on my nerves.

Please help me before I become bald. Is it a problem with my modem or with the connection in the exchange? Non funny replies would be really appreciated as I'm already very frustruated.

I'm running Windows XP Professional SP2 on AMD 64 3200+(Socket 939), Mobo MSI RS-480M2

Venom

Journeyman
The SNR level is too high, these d/cs will occur till then. There is noise in the phone line, bad, they (bsnl) have to fix it. I had 27 last day and was suffering too, today its like, 25 and no disconnects yet.

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
This is what i have in status.. my modem MT841

ADSL State
Show Time

Data Path
Fast

Operation Mode
ADSL2+

Bandwidth Up/Down(Kbit/sec)
512/2048 <<<<but my connection is 64/256kbps

SNR Up/Down
19.5 dB/28.0 dB

CRC Up/Down
0/0

FEC Up/Down
0/0

HEC Up/Down
0/0

Attenuation Up/Down
23.0 dB /53.0 dB

Can anyone tell what all these values signify

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

Rollercoaster said:
This is what i have in status.. my modem MT841

ADSL State
Show Time

Data Path
Fast

Operation Mode
ADSL2+

Bandwidth Up/Down(Kbit/sec)
512/2048 <<<<but my connection is 64/256kbps

SNR Up/Down
19.5 dB/28.0 dB

CRC Up/Down
0/0

FEC Up/Down
0/0

HEC Up/Down
0/0

Attenuation Up/Down
23.0 dB /53.0 dB

Can anyone tell what all these values signify

Dude! Even I really don't know the meaning of all of it. SNR means Signal to Noise Ratio, which means the amount of noise in a signal sent or recieved. This should be usuall <20dB. Attenuation is the loss of signal strength. But, what I still haven't got my problem really solved as the guys came and changed a bit of wiring. I need to keep a close watch on that.

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

FINALLY!! Got to know what the problem is. The frequent disconnection usually means the wiring is wrong(which is quite obvious) or the connection from the splitter to the modem and phone is a bit mixed up. There should not be any parallel connections b/w the phone and the modem(that's what I was told, but worked quite ok for me before) ELSE there is 'port' problem at the exchange. It seems this so called port is assigned to each and every customer when they get their connection.
The load capability has 'denegerated' and needs to be changed. The JTO(Junior Telecom Officer) has agreed to get it replaced tomorrow(I'm waiting with crossed fingers). So, people who face constant disconnection(ADSL link getting cut), ask the exchange people to change the 'port'.

Rollercoaster said:
hey can anyone else tel me more abt these abbriviations and there effects on connection quality

Sorry, even I wish I knew them so that I could tweak it for better performance.

neyo

Broken In
make sure that you remove the parallel connection when using net. i especially remove it when downloading from 2-8 am. before even i didn't have a single problem with parallel connection, but a month later i faced frequent disconnection. now i doesn't disconnect even once!

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

neyo said:
make sure that you remove the parallel connection when using net. i especially remove it when downloading from 2-8 am. before even i didn't have a single problem with parallel connection, but a month later i faced frequent disconnection. now i doesn't disconnect even once!

Well, yeah they had told me about this, but I didn't face the problem b4 like you. But still I had tried every method. Finally found the problem was with the wiring at the exchange. I took my modem there. Link dropped thrice. Swapped modem then and there. Tested. Linked dropped AGAIN, thrice!! They were just pulling my leg as well as the JTO that they had tested. Pricks!! Finally, the JTO forced them to change it to another phone port and now its working fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom