ADSL 2+ modems

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandi

Right off the assembly line
Please help me to find out which is the best ADSL modem with inbuilt router Avialiable in india. I will be thankfull if any body suggest best ADSL modem & lan card combination

Doc Holliday

Broken In
Hi Sandi,

I tried 4 companies when trying out routers. D-Link, Netgear, Linksys, and SMC.

The D-Link people in my city and the nearby city did not have too much of an idea of their own products (poor presales support), so I could only imagine what their post sales support would be like! Dumped them.

I could not contact any Netgear dealer - poor presence.

Linksys - This is a division of the much-talked about Cicso. I have used their routers. Gave me firmware errors till it finally died out on me. When I to contact support in India, I found none. Made an ISD call (toll free in the US). Call got diverted to some call center in the Far East where I got support like "Have you powered your router?" "Are all the lights burning?" A..B...C Finally send it back to Micro-Ingram the distributor of their products. Incidentally, Micro-Ingram told me they did not know whom to contact for Linksys support! Two months after I returned their product, I finally got a call from their South East Asia office. They had apparently fixed the problem with that firmware version -- too late.

SMC. Finally settled on their product. Good products and not too expensive. Most importantly, they have good support in India via e-mail and phone.

I would highly recommend SMC (based on my experience)

2 Models for you to choose from:

* ADSL2+ Barricadeâ„¢ 4-port Router with Built-in ADSL2+ Modem (SMC7904BRA)
*www.smc-asia.com/index.php?option=displaypage&Itemid=332&op=page&SubMenu=

*ADSL2+ Barricadeâ„¢ 2-port Router with Built-in ADSL2+ Modem (SMC7901BRA)
*www.smc-asia.com/index.php?option=displaypage&Itemid=331&op=page&SubMenu=

All said and done, do ask SMC if these routers will work with your ISP. It would be a nightmare if it did not (At the moment I use a router from SMC along with my ISP-supplied modem -- I don't want my ISP to blame the SMC router/modem if the connection is down -- that is something they would have otherwise invariably done)

Hope it helps,

DH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom