Adobe to Buy Macromedia in $3.4 B Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kannan

In the zone
SAN JOSE, Calif. - Combining two of the largest makers of software for creating and delivering digital content, Adobe Systems Inc. said Monday it will acquire Macromedia Inc. in an all-stock transaction valued at approximately $3.4 billion.

Macromedia shares rose more than 10 percent in early trading, while Adobe shares sank nearly 11 percent.

Both companies said the long-rumored acquisition was not to consolidate and cut costs but to help Adobe expand into new markets, particularly in the area of providing content to mobile phones and other handheld devices.

"This is not a consolidation play. This is all about growth," said Bruce Chizen, Adobe's chief executive. "We're doing this because we believe the combined offerings will be even more compelling to our customers given the challenges they're going to face in trying to communicate information in this very complex environment."

San Jose-based Adobe's software includes the popular Acrobat program for creating and reading documents that can be viewed on a variety of systems, including PCs and cell phones, as well as the popular Photoshop program for working with digital photographs.

Macromedia, based in San Francisco, makes the Dreamweaver Web-design program and Flash, which is used to animate and add interactivity to Web sites. The company recently announced tools for expanding its reach into mobile devices as well.

Neither company, however, would speculate Monday on actual product plans.

More Info Here

Source: Yahoo

Kannan said:
Thanks to ShekharPalash, I have added direct links to Adobe and Macromedia news releases.

Adobe News Release Here
Macromedia News Release Here

G

gxsaurav

Hmm, another source here

*www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/showstory.jsp?storyid=3311

Hmm, bad, really bad, I will nuke Adobe if they shelf Director & Flash

ferrarif50

Journeyman
This is shocking!!

Why would macromedia sell themselves? I am sure they were making huge profts.

Is this some kind of joke or something?

*www.divinedivinity.net/smilies/ouch.gif

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
NO it's not a joke.... lol...
See Abobe release here & Macromedia press release here

I'm happy with this news!!

2 reason ;-)

# Adobe rocks, now Macromedia will also rock with them ;-) .... I love both... ;-)
# One of my senior who's in Adobe & his GF in Macromedia in Calif. both will work for same company :D :D ... lol ;-)

Now I'm not happy

10000 reasons...
# Copy what GX said, I'll be chief engieer in tht Nuke operation.
# GoLive really sux... and I know they'll mix it with Dreamweaver... :-(
# ... Flash??
#...

Macromedia Says:
Macromedia, what the web can be...

We'll have Adobe Flash!!

Let's expect [& wish] even after merging they both will keep their products as they are...

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
ShekharPalash said:
Macromedia Says:
Macromedia, what the web can be...

We'll have Adobe Flash!!

Let's expect [& wish] even after merging they both will keep their products as they are...

hmmm...the least we can expect is they keep the names as is, like Novell retaining the name of SuSE, HP retaining the name of Compaq, etc., coz macromedia is a highly famous and respected name in the web community.
anyway, this will mean tighter integration of macromedia and adobe products, like flash animations in pdf files (i think we already have that) and maybe adobe can learn why dreamweaver is more liked by ppl than GoLive (which sux)

sms_solver

In the zone
Now Adobe will be the King in Graphics application. DreamWeaver, FreeHand and others will be integrated into Adobe products.

G

gxsaurav

I guess, golive will die & dreamweaver will take it's place

Freehand & Coldfusion might die

No way they will be killing Director & Flash, that provides a lot of royality money

Adobe Flash, well, the SVG viewer for windows is trash, I wish they don't make the flash plugin like that, as thats what 97% users use, (3% being those who make them)

What left, well, Premiere is there with no macromdia product coming in it's way, hmm, breeze & Flex might also die

oh! contribution, this is new, it will hardly die, there is nothing else like it

ferrarif50

Journeyman
Looks like a hostile takeover, something which Oracle did to peoplesoft. Microsoft's fever is catching up with these guys lately.

If you cant beat them, but them!!

G

gxsaurav

& people ay MS is monopolistic, dam adobe

ACDSee should sue Adobe for some patent they have for ACDSee used in Adobe bridge

Deep

Version 2.0
good info..

so this means...death of firworks and addition of fireworks features to photoshop....

too cool

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
Deep said:
good info..

so this means...death of firworks and addition of fireworks features to photoshop....

too cool
that reminds me...it wud also mean the possible death of freehand. (it was the first vector graphics software that i tried). well..maybe they'll integrate the MX interface into softwares like illustrator and PS.

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
Yippie.. we are gonna have LiveDreamer... PhotoWorks... Flash Acrobat... hell the list'll continue...

OP
K

Kannan

In the zone
"According to John Dvorak the reasoning behind Adobe's recent (and to many, surprising) purchase of Macromedia for $3.4 billion is that Adobe was afraid Microsoft was going to do it first.

An interesting look at the thinking and attitude of Adobe from someone who's been following them for a long time. From TFA: "So, mostly out of fear, Adobe buys its main competitor and now must shoehorn the company into its unfortunate not-invented-here corporate culture. (This aspect of Adobe is another story in itself.)""

Source: Slash Dot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom