Status
Not open for further replies.

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
ACDSee 1.6 for Mac

"ACDSee is a high speed, full-featured image viewer that displays digital images in high resolution." Ha! Ha! Ha!

There are a few people on this forum (actually, just one person) who think that Apple's iPhoto software is bad, and ACDSee is way, way better. I didn't comment on that because I hadn't used ACDSee before, but after having used it, I can certainly say that iPhoto is a billion times better than ACDSee. Almost featureless and slower than a snail. I trashed it after 30 minutes of testing.

*img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/8/5/22/t_ACDSeescreem_b1c6c2f.jpg
Click on the image to enlarge

Here goes the review:

First impressions
If you ask me why I like MS Office for Mac, then I'd say that it acts like a Mac software, not a Windows software. And this ACDSee seems to be the Frankenstein crossover between Mac OS X, Mac Classic, and a PC application. It greets you with the Browser window, in which the volume hierarchy is shown on the right and on the left, the contents of the currently selected folder are presented in little 'slides' that eat up lots of border space. I won't even go into the tiny 24x24 buttons that make up the toolbar, which seem to be drawn using MS Paint.

The Browse mode has three modes of showing the images: the first is the Slides you start up with; the second is Borderless, which is in essence the same as slides except for the actual border around each image, and does nothing to help get more out of the screen real-estate; the third mode, Classic, reminds me of some very, very old applications, the PC kind, with a grey beveled outline surrounding every item and its name. It looks horrid when placed on the white background the application uses.

Anti-aliasing and Thumbnails
The thumbnails it shows in that Browse mode are badly scaled often, having that pixilated look, that there is no anti-aliasing used, and that it cannot display the icons of items in more than 32x32.

I managed to turn that horrid border to a minimum and also identified the compression level for the thumbnails. I turned it all the way up to None and reloaded the folder. Even after that, the thumbnails were pretty much the same, although a little better, they were still not on par with the anti-aliased thumbnails that other OS X image viewers have got me used to.

Let's move past that and go into the actual image viewing.

Image viewing
The view mode presents one big window in which to view the images one at a time. By default, the program is set up to show the image at its full size, regardless of how big the window is. This is easily remedied and it also features a Full Screen mode, which is the better choice. There is also the option to resize the window to fit the image, a mind-boggling feature whose use I have yet to grasp. If you have it enabled and open up a series of images of all different sizes, the window will resize vertically and horizontally with every image creating a most pleasant sensation of vertigo.

If you choose to rotate or flip the image, it will ask you whether you want to save the changes when you move on to the next image. Saving the image is done without you setting any options whatsoever, and JPEG files get compressed at a ratio that is beyond your control. What is more interesting is that if you flip a TIFF image for example, it will ask you whether you want to save the changes but it will not actually save anything.

Other View Modes
The Details view is useful when you have a huge number of images in one place and need detailed information about each of them without actually having to know what they look like. The Wide Thumbnail view lists each item on a line, with the name and other information on the right. This is perfect for leaving a great big area that is never used and making those little slide huge without actually showing a bigger thumbnail. And then there's the Small Icons view, which basically shows the contents of the Folder or drive in a Windows manner. If you want an instant reminder of what Windows Explorer looks like and how it arranges those icons, look no further.

The Good

The application does have a nice icon, with the ACDSee eye logo and two pictures that appear to be of the same thing: a butterfly on a yellow flower.

The Bad
So much to choose from I don't even know where to begin. Leaving aside all the minor issues, the program has big problems with resizing images. Any image displayed at a size smaller than the normal one risks getting pixelated and showing artifacts. Such problems in an image viewing application are unacceptable. It is also super-slow. And have they never heard of anti-aliasing?

The Truth
iPhoto is a much better and much faster alternative. For the advanced folks (like me), Aperture is the tool needed. If you want to view images by browsing your file system, then I recommend GraphicConverter -- it's the best, IMHO. For Windows users, even the free IrfanView does a better job.

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
The Thread Title was only "ACDSee" and i clicked it find some some fanboyism when i saw "ACDSee 1.6 for Mac":rolleyes:

B/w ACDSee is really Good softie for image editing and other functions disregarding the fact that it supports Mac OS

Edit:I didnt Read:
The Truth
iPhoto is a much better and much faster alternative. For the advanced folks (like me), Aperture is the tool needed. If you want to view images by browsing your file system, then I recommend GraphicConverter -- it's the best, IMHO. For Windows users, even the free IrfanView does a better job.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
bawahwahwahwahwahwah

:ROFL" Nepcker, how blind & ignorent you can get with your Posts :D:D:D

Guys, all of the forum members, just go to this page of Version tracker & check when was the last version of ACDSee 1.6.5 was relesed for Mac OS X. 2001-11-30

:D I mean, this is just insanely stupid nepcker, I know you are a fanboy of Apple products but to this extent of comparing a Product of 2001 with a product of 2006 (iPhoto) is well......stupid.

Well since you have stared a thread about ACDSee, I ask the forum members, should I post a review of ACDSee 9 of 2007 with iPhoto of 2006 :D

Just to add, I would like to compare the costs of some products, assuming we are buying it.

ACDSee 9 Photo Manager for Windows Vista = $40. Comes with it's own digital image editing features.
ACDSee Pro Photo Manager = $130. Seriously good alternative to Adobe Lightroom on Windows. Made for RAW image editing
Apple aperture = $300
Windows Photo Gallery = Free with Windows Vista.
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom = $300. But provides far more features then Aperture for Mac.
XNView & Irfan view = Free

Last edited:
OP
nepcker

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
So, which is the latest version of ACDSee for Mac OS X? I just tried what was the latest version of ACDSee for Mac OS X. I didn't know its release dates, etc.

ACDSee 1.6.9 was the one that turned up in a Google search. (A search for "ACDSee Mac OS X" gives me the link to ACDSee 1.6)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
None, that is the last version of ACDSee for Mac. I guess ACDSee didn't see enough potential customars on Mac platform :D

But seriously....your comparision of ACDSee of 2001 with iPhoto of 2006 still makes me laugh. Dude if you wanted to compare download the 21 day trial version from ACDSee website & run it on Vista. You have Vista with you so why not compare your self & see how it kicks iPhoto.

Do not compare Aperture. A home user will never buy a $300 Software for image management. I just got graphics converter & I m using it. The browser is what I wanted, folder based nevigation finally, still trying to solve some quirks like the ability to hide thumb.db file in it.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
graphics convertar proves to be real slow. I a, back to Shoebox, damn I miss my left side nevigation panel. :(

Verdict - MacOS X doesn't have a proper image management tool for home usage which lets you work the way you want.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
People make mistakes. No big deal. You should accept them and get over it.

@nepcker, you really should have checked out the release date, mate. I guess I know that a software's release date is not the first thing you look at when you go to download it, but seeing the interface and features should have made you realise that something must be wrong. You goofed up. :)

(BTW, I also see how it might've made sense. You see, when gx_saurav says something is good, it means that the thing is bad. And this kind of interface is exactly the sort of thing that gx_saurav loves.)

Thread reported.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
(BTW, I also see how it might've made sense. You see, when gx_saurav says something is good, it means that the thing is bad. And this kind of interface is exactly the sort of thing that gx_saurav loves.)

Which automatically concludes that when you say Apple or Mac is good or there "Many Window" plates based UI is good, you are actully trying to convice yourself that "i made a good choice so I should make everyone buy it paying damn high prices so that I m not the only one suffering from the pain of paying high prices" :D

Oh & by the way, this is how a real image management App called ACDSee looks on Windows. Use it the way you want to...folder based, catagory based, virtual folder based, calender based....the choice is yours.

*img387.imageshack.us/img387/3287/acdseemo6.th.jpg

P.S. - Did you again ran out of proper & valid things to say.

OP
nepcker

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
I am really, really, really sorry for this. From next time, I'll check the release date of any software I review.

It must be that ACDSee got really bad feedback from the Mac users, so they discontinued it.

@gx_saurav:
Now that you've got GraphicConverter, why don't you add it to your list of softwares for image whatever? I've been using it for years and is better than Photoshop Elements.

And Aperture is better that Lightroom, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom