Accessing windows partition from Fedora Core 4...

Status
Not open for further replies.

plsoft

Journeyman
i have a single hard disk with four partitions C:,D:,E: & F: with 20 GB capacity each & Windows XP Pro SP2 installed in C: drive. I have installed Fedora Core 4 in F: drive. Now i want to access my windows partitions (Fat32) from Fedora. Please tell me how i should go about it. I have gone through all help in the net but couldn't figure out the way my hard disk has been named (eg. dev/hda1,hda2,etc).

Please please tell me how to go about it.

Thanks n advance

naveenchandran

In the zone
ok.. Open your Terminal

fdisk -lu

Check for the partitions you have.

Usually your c: drive will be... /dev/hda1
If you have created your D Drive as primary partition you will have /dev/hda2 as D Drive

if D is logical then it would be /dev/hda5 and so on.. for other partitions..

to mount the partition on fedora..

cd /mnt
mkdir Cdrv
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/Cdrv

now C:\ is mounted on /mnt/Cdrv

and same way for other partitions..
for more info man mount
:)

If you want to automount add to your /etc/fstab ...

*www.tldp.org/LDP/lfs/html/chapter08/fstab.html
:)

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ Naveen

Yes bro, even i was trying out the mounting procedure (as given in the Fast Track book on LINUX by Digit) and

1.) I opened the Konsole, typed "su" and logged in as root then i typed "fdisk -l" but nothing seemd to happen then i used my head, followed up the commands and brough up the fdisk manual by typing "man fdisk" now i hope ur idea works :?

2.) BTW tell me wen i hv mounted my C: (from XP onto LINUX) so then i guess wat ever thing i d/laod like the tutorials of LINUX in my XP OS's (C: drive), i will be able to see them in Linux also RITE ! Coz of Mounting of the C: ??? :? My C: drive is the Primary partition wich i wish to Mount in Linux. Also thew "mkdir Cdrv" that u hv mentioned is the Name of the Directory where C: Drive is Mounted right? SO i can giv it another name of my choice rather than CDrv ?? :?
But i guess after Mounting my C: , i will be able tos ee all my word files in LINUX !! Right !

3.) Shud i hv to be logged on as root user while mounting the partitions thru the Konsole terminal from win XP to Linux?? :?

Cheers n e-peace....

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Shouldn't it be
Code:
fdisk -lu /dev/hdx
for IDE drives OR
Code:
fdisk -lu /dev/sdx
for SATA drives.
Ashu, you can use your windows partition as if it were linux partition once mounted.
And you can add these partition to /etc/fstab too, if they aren't already there, so they can be mounted easily next time onwards.
And you can give whatever name you like. I have one windows partition and have named it as windows. And I made an additional fat32 partition as my /media/windows partition i ntfs and named fat32 partition as /media/fat

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ Tech
Hey bro, so is the code that Naveen gave is correct?? I wana Mount my C: (fat 32) onto LINUX so i will try that out and let u guys knw abt it :) And how can i add the C: (windows fat32 partition) in the /etc/fstab ??

:?: I did this: Applications>System tools>Terminal>Logged in as root (by specifying the password).I got this:--->
[ root @ localhost Anand]# fdisk -lu
(pressed Enter key and got this)
bash: fdisk -lu command not found. Now wat to do guys ??:( Am i doin sumthing wrong in FC4 terminal ??

Also do tell me that, Will the Windows partition, mounted (automatically) everytime wen i start Linux?? or will i hv to mount it everytime (manually) by following the codes thru Konsole???

Cheers n e-peace.....

mehulved

Hmm well the command fdisk -lu should work. Seems like fdisk isn't installed on your system or something. Did you leave a space between fdisk and -lu?

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ Tech

Well i hv tried all possible combination bro, i.e: fdisk<space>-lu and fdisk-lu (without space too), but still the same error bash: fdisk -lu command not found So now tell me wat to do?? :( Coz i really want to mount my C: WIN XP onto FC4 Linux. Please help....

Cheers n e-peace....

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
@ashu: follow the steps carefully.

1. Open a terminal
2. type the commands (dont type $ please)
Code:
$ su
[give your root password]

$ mkdir /media/drive_c

$ cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.backup

$ gedit /etc/fstab

3. This will open the file fstab in Text Editor. Now append the line to the end of file.
Code:
/dev/hda1    /media/drive_c    vfat    defaults    0   0

You have to use /dev/sda1 if you are using a sata drive.

4. Add a carriage return (blank line) after the added line, save and exit.

Your drive will be mounted automatically under /media/drive_c from next boot onwrads

5. Now issue the command
Code:
$ mount /dev/hda1

for mounting it now.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
To mount NTFS drives into Linux (Read Only), check out: *www.linux-ntfs.org/

Just install the patch and follow the instructions given by naveenchandran, just replace vfat by ntfs.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ Desertwind

Thanx alot bro, it worked :p :p
I was able to mount my C: Drive onto the Linux OS.

1.) Now please tell me how can i view (open and read) all my MS WORD and also PDF Files in my Linux OS (i.e wich s/ware will help me in doin this).
I think Linux (FC4) has its own PDF reader known as kpdf (if im not mistaken), now the confusion is that i hv d/loaded a book on Linux and i was able to read it in my Windows XP OS using Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0.7 , so can i install that same Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0.7 in Linux too?? Or will i hv to get a version of Adobe Acrobat Reader wich is compatible in Linux Or will the Linux's own pdf reader known as Kpdf will help me in viewing the Linux PDF ?

2.) Also, wen i take a screenshot(by doin Alt+Print screen) of a screen in Linux, where shud i store it so that i can view that screenshot in WIN XP and then post it here in the forum.

3.) How to update my FC4 via net, i hv been running a thread here www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40780 to setup a net connection via my D Link ADSL Router (u can reply to my querries thee coz i guess i hv been facing the same command problems there too.. :( )

:idea: @ Desertwind, Bro My c: Drive is mounted as u hv advised me in ur reply i.e: /media/drive_c

Awating (simple :oops: ) replies for topics 1,2 and 3 .... Desertwind, Naveen help needed guys...

Cheers n e-peace....

mehulved

ashu888ashu888 said:
1.) Now please tell me how can i view (open and read) all my MS WORD and also PDF Files in my Linux OS (i.e wich s/ware will help me in doin this).
I think Linux (FC4) has its own PDF reader known as kpdf (if im not mistaken), now the confusion is that i hv d/loaded a book on Linux and i was able to read it in my Windows XP OS using Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0.7 , so can i install that same Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0.7 in Linux too?? Or will i hv to get a version of Adobe Acrobat Reader wich is compatible in Linux Or will the Linux's own pdf reader known as Kpdf will help me in viewing the Linux PDF ?
You can use any PDF reader supplied by the distro. Even Adobe Reader is available for linux. The latest version is 7.0.5

ashu888ashu888 said:
2.) Also, wen i take a screenshot(by doin Alt+Print screen) of a screen in Linux, where shud i store it so that i can view that screenshot in WIN XP and then post it here in the forum.
Save it in any FAT32 partition.

ashu888ashu888 said:
3.) How to update my FC4 via net, i hv been running a thread here www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40780 to setup a net connection via my D Link ADSL Router (u can reply to my querries thee coz i guess i hv been facing the same command problems there too.. :( )
You can use up2date or yum.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ Tech

1.) <Solved>

2.) A screenshot is saved onto my Linux Desktop named as grub.pnf and i right clicked on it, selected Copy then wen to /media/drive_c (this is where my C: drive is mounted in Linux) and tried to paste but wen i right clicked, the paste option was greyed out.. :? Wat else can i do ? please explain...As i wana post the screenshot here in this Forum in another Linux related thread....

3.) For this i will be needing to configure my Router (thru USB for MTNL's Triband Boradband) Rite? But i dnt hv an Ethernet card but my Router shows to be connected to net as the LEDs(Power, Status, ADSL and USB) are lit up, please help me in setting up an Internet connection so tat i can directly browse the Net via Linux OS.

Cheers n e-peace.....

naveenchandran

In the zone
ashu888ashu888 said:
A screenshot is saved onto my Linux Desktop named as grub.pnf and i right clicked on it, selected Copy then wen to /media/drive_c (this is where my C: drive is mounted in Linux) and tried to paste but wen i right clicked, the paste option was greyed out.. :? Wat else can i do ? please explain...As i wana post the screenshot here in this Forum in another Linux related thread....

Is your C: Drive NTFS Partition?
Have you tried pasting in mounted C: Drive while logged on as superuser?

mehulved

If your C drive is FAT32 and still you cannot write means you have mounted it as root. You will have to make following changes in fstab.
1) modify your line in fstab as follows
Code:
/dev/sda7   /media/drive_c   vfat defaults,rw,umask=000   0 0
2) Unmount C drive as root.
3) Mount the c drive as user.

But, if your C drive is NTFS, you will have to use captive-ntfs or something to write on it. I haven't used it though. But, one thing I have heard is that you have to unmount the ntfs drive before shutting down linux to see changes in windows.Not confirmed though.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Write access to NTFS is still *very* experimental.. Better not try to write on NTFS through linux.. Anyway, once i tried to install captive-ntfs.. But it wouldnt install! :p

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ Naveen @ tech

I hv mounted my C: Drive(Fat32) by loggin in as root user as the directions given by Desertwind i.e: in /media/drive_c so shud i again open the terminal and edit this code
/dev/hda1 /media/drive_c vfat defaults 0 0
as
/dev/sda7 /media/drive_c vfat defaults,rw,umask=000 0 0
?? and Save and Exit it Right ???

naveen wrote:
Have you tried pasting in mounted C: Drive while logged on as superuser
Well yes, i tried that but as i said earlier that the Paste option was greyed out :(

@ Tech Now shud i unmount my C: drive and mount it again ?? :shock: if yes, then shud i be following the same procedure wat Desertwind gave me except for the code to be changed in fstab as this:
/dev/sda7 /media/drive_c vfat defaults,rw,umask=000 0 0
??

Awating replies......

Cheers n e-peace.....

mehulved

1) If you already haven't, then make the changes in fstab as you have shown in the post.
2) Log in as root and unmount the c drive
Code:
sudo umount /media/drive_c
<your password>
3) Mount the drive as user
Code:
mount /media/drive_c

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
yes, just follow my previous steps, and enter the new code given by tech_your_future.

After saving and exiting follow the commands

Code:
$ umount /dev/hda1
$ mount /dev/hda1

mehulved

you can umount the drive in following two ways
Code:
sudo umount /media/drive_c
OR
Code:
sudo umount /dev/sda1
since you have a SATA drive, it should be sda and not hda. You can use anyone command since both refer to the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom