abt tranfering data over lan

Status
Not open for further replies.
i surf the net frm my college..all the pc in our college have their unique ip address and r connected 2 same network. when i open network places it does not shows other pc on the network...how can i transfer data between 2 such pc...i hav administrative access 2 both the pc...

Sykora

I see right through you.
I assume you're running some version of windows. The easiest way would be to find the name of the computer you want to transfer files to, and use it in the "search for computer" option in windows search.

shashank4u

Youngling
if workgroup name is not same then start "make a new connection wizard"
give same workgroup or domain name ,turn on file and printer sharing .
right click on the folder u want to share , check the box "share this folder on network" thats it ,
go to my network places in the start menu ,select view workgroup computers (on the computer in which u want to copy,
)
u will see the name of the computer(that u have entered while making the connection).copu it,
u said u have administrator privilages how so in college , if the net in yr college is distributed thru router it may be possible that they might have disables "inbound traffic".type //192.168.1.1 and check if u know this username and password.

Official Techie

In the zone
first make connection between computers through local are connection add new connection then to test try pinging their i.p. address through cmd then go to local are connection u should see the name of your and the other computer

OP
S

sushantasarkar

Broken In
Sykora said:
I assume you're running some version of windows. The easiest way would be to find the name of the computer you want to transfer files to, and use it in the "search for computer" option in windows search.
searching displayed only my pc's name..

ilugd said:
are both the pcs on the same workgroup or domain?
my work group does not have any other computers..pls note that the lan i have mentioned is used for connecting 2 the internet...

Last edited:

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
Actually, what you are implying is that all the systems in the college are connected to a LAN. Your browser connects to the internet through a proxy server on the lan. You can confirm it from your browser's proxy settings. So the first point is that you are all on the LAN. The next step would be, as shashank has so kindly pointed out, to enable file and print sharing on both systems. The next step would be to make both the systems on the same workgroup. Just do it temporarily if a workgroup is not already set to something like 'testing' or something. The other system should now show in thye network neighborhood. Oh and don't forget to set back the systems to their previous settings when you are done.

If you have any queries in any particular points above, just post a reply.

OP
S

sushantasarkar

Broken In
ilugd said:
Actually, what you are implying is that all the systems in the college are connected to a LAN. Your browser connects to the internet through a proxy server on the lan. You can confirm it from your browser's proxy settings. So the first point is that you are all on the LAN. The next step would be, as shashank has so kindly pointed out, to enable file and print sharing on both systems. The next step would be to make both the systems on the same workgroup. Just do it temporarily if a workgroup is not already set to something like 'testing' or something. The other system should now show in thye network neighborhood. Oh and don't forget to set back the systems to their previous settings when you are done.

If you have any queries in any particular points above, just post a reply.
i hav checked lan settings...through tolls\internet option\connections..in the lan settings..there proxy server has been disabled....my pc connects 2 the net through unique ip address...

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
I am not too sure but i guess your browser is set to auto detect settings. Did you try the other options suggested?

Couyld you also do a ipconfig/all command on the command prompt and post the listing?

hey,
I know something about this...
some versions of winxp just can't be accessed. but they can access others.
for eg., in our hostel, we have many laptops and hence many different versions of xp(I don't know if it exists, but we believe there are many different builds of xp pro itself). some laptops just can't be accessed through lan(wireless or otherwise) while they can access others.we ensure same workgroups and almost same ip.
I would like an explanation for this behaviour.

If you haven't done anything regarding your system connection. then the simplest way to connect them .. use add network places..then add your computer.. use a crossover cable to connect the both n you are done.. yupee@

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom