Abit IP35-E + C2D E6600 taken for a freezing ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Hi guys,
It was a sunday today and i got some free time after a long long time to relax at home and play with some hardware.

I had got my pot made long long ago but didnt find the time to test it. So i thought, heck i will test it today so everything started.

So here is a small list of what all stuff was used today,

Intel C2D E6600/E4500/E6550
Abit IP35-E
1GB x 2 Crucial Ballistix PC2 8000
ATI HD 2900XT 1GB, Gigabyte 8800GTX
Hitachi 160GB SATAII HDD
Seventeam ST600-EAD PSU

E4500 was a dud, gave me a lot of problems, horrible clocker :mad:
E6550 was out of question because of the lower multi.
So my old trusted E6600 volunteered to get tortured :D

Here it is,
*www.thehardwarelabs.com/forums/imagehost/thumb_2475c23057584f.jpg

A brief history of this chip,
1] 4000MHz on Asus P5N32-E SLI @ 1.72V under water
2] 4000 MHz on Abit IP35-E @ 1.72V Under water

So you know this is a very good chip, ihad high hopes from it.

So, here is the entire bench setup,
*www.thehardwarelabs.com/forums/imagehost/thumb_2475c22badf0e0.jpg *www.thehardwarelabs.com/forums/imagehost/thumb_2475c22bceb525.jpg

My dealer was kind enough to give me a Gigabyte 8800GTX for benching, thanks man !
*www.thehardwarelabs.com/forums/imagehost/thumb_2475c1fbb76491.jpg

This mighty b**ch kept condensation in check and kept the PWM cool too,
*www.thehardwarelabs.com/forums/imagehost/thumb_2475c1fbc67a56.jpg

Ice Ice baby :D

*www.thehardwarelabs.com/forums/imagehost/thumb_2475c1fbd4f3ef.jpg *www.thehardwarelabs.com/forums/imagehost/thumb_2475c22bbc91c4.jpg *www.thehardwarelabs.com/forums/imagehost/thumb_2475c1fba7b266.jpg

Look what happened to the CPU and the socket ;)
*www.thehardwarelabs.com/forums/imagehost/thumb_2475c22bdd2ee0.jpg

Efforts rewarded ??
*www.thehardwarelabs.com/forums/imagehost/thumb_2475c0568f2319.jpg

I must say i am mighty impressed with this 6.5k Abit board. Clocked like a charm.vdroop was around 0.04-0.05V which though not great is acceptable.

Overall a fun filled day,

Cheers !
Amey

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
I was trying to pin point water coolers for my E6600 and E6550 but couldn't find one sadly had to settle for a Ultra 120 extreme which was available from prime.

And what am i looking at OMG a nitrogen gas cooler is it.

OP
darklord

darklord

Cyborg Agent
^^ Hehe, thats not Liquid Nitrogen, although i would have loved to bench with LN2 but then i dont have a Dewar and also LN2 is hard to procure and is expensive.
In this particular bench session i am using DICE [Dry Ice +Ethanol]

assasin

Banned
^^^ and how much wud a Nitrogen cooling solution cost??
i dont think i'll be able to get 1 out here.so will hafta think bout it when i shift to Pune in June 2008.
and wats the cost of the stuff u've used for cooling.

OP
darklord

darklord

Cyborg Agent
LN2 and DICE are viable options only for benching purposes.It cannot be a replacment to Air/Water Cooling techniques.

LN2 is bloody expensive, no idea but when i heard you have to pay 25k depsit just for the Dewar Jar in which LN2 is stored, i didnt bother finding out more info.

As for Dry Ice, its ~ 55-60 Rs./Kg and with that you can use Ethyl Alcohol aka Ethanol or Iso Propyl Alcohol or Acetone, whatever is easily available and cheap.

Acetone drops temperatures fast but cant hold whereas Ethanol holds temperatures well so its better to use Ethanol.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
great OC :D I loved the custome solution for the Coooler :) wish to have my own :D if I get time will certainly going to try out one :lol:

OP
darklord

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Yes it is quite easy to make and install.Keep in mind while you bench with DICE/LN2 that insulation is the key, there is heavy condensation in such situations so you have to take care not to fry the mobo or CPU

btw,
check this guys,
*www.thehardwarelabs.com/forums/imagehost/thumb_2475cc08face0e.jpg

tempting na ? :D

Last edited:

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
Darklord even the E6550 can be good oc though it does not have a higher multi it does have a higher operating temperature range according to intel.You can safely take it to 72C(TCase temp).Tjunction is 100C.

Pathik

Google Bot
@darklord wat clocks did u get with the same setup but on stock cooling??
btw that s a damn good clock.. and for how much time can Ethanol hold the sub zero temps??

OP
darklord

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Darklord even the E6550 can be good oc though it does not have a higher multi it does have a higher operating temperature range according to intel.You can safely take it to 72C(TCase temp).Tjunction is 100C.

Dry Ice + Ethanol mixture reduces temperatures to -70C so temperature is not the issue here.
Well lets take simple Maths into consideration. E6550 has a multi of 7x so even if we consider that we can clock the 6550 to 4.2 GHz+ that would need a FSB of 600 which very very few boards can do, and whoever do, become special like the Foxconn P35 Mars.

@darklord wat clocks did u get with the same setup but on stock cooling??
btw that s a damn good clock.. and for how much time can Ethanol hold the sub zero temps??
Controlling the temperature is dependant upon the proportion of Dry Ice and Ethanol that you maintain. Too much alcohol doesnt help. you need to pour very very less Ethanol so the temperature holds.More Dry Ice and less Alcohol is the best combo.

OP
darklord

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Take 2 : :D

I had another session on sunday.
This time, it was - Abit IP35-E/ Abit IX38 Quad GT + C2Q Q6600
results were not as great as the first time, but it was awesome fun! :D

*www.thehardwarelabs.com/forums/imagehost/thumb_4476f3d8ca5010.jpg

first runs on the ip35e

*www.thehardwarelabs.com/forums/imagehost/thumb_4476f3d8d8546c.jpg

crucial pc8000, did 1180 @ 5-5-5-15 @ 2.4v

*www.thehardwarelabs.com/forums/imagehost/thumb_4476f3e9233620.jpg

the ix38 quad gt making its debut under dice :), overall a much stable board than the ip35-e for dice sessions (not a really fair comparison though considering the quad gt costs twice as much)

*www.thehardwarelabs.com/forums/imagehost/thumb_4476f3e9281828.jpg
Pot did really well considering the cost, could handle the quad easily.

*www.thehardwarelabs.com/forums/imagehost/thumb_4476f3e92d2154.jpg

2900xt running 3d benches.

Results -

3DMark 2006
*www.thehardwarelabs.com/forums/imagehost/thumb_2476f5edd84ee6.jpg

3DMark 2001

*www.thehardwarelabs.com/forums/imagehost/thumb_4476f415a56b9f.jpg

3DMark 2005

*www.thehardwarelabs.com/forums/imagehost/thumb_4476f415b45a70.jpg

SuperPi 1m
*www.thehardwarelabs.com/forums/imagehost/thumb_4476f415c4cfd5.jpg

I wanted to do some more benching and tweak the scores a bit but unfortunately i ran out of Dry Ice, so had to call it a day :(
Still it was good fun. I need to keep more Dry Ice next time, Quad eats Dry Ice like anything. Totally different compared to Dual Cores.

Cheers ! ;)
Amey

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
That's what i get with my 8800GTS SLI in 3DMark06 with my C2D E6600 at 3.4.I wish i had a quad.
Which PSU did you use??Those are some really nice scores.
And the ram how did you source them.
I was about to go for the 2900XT sometime ago but had to drop the deal when i found that it cost Rs 25k.The GTS cost just a bit less.
In 3DMark06 the CPU score is more than the GFX 2.0 and 3.0 score.Wow that's some overclock.

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
Why didn't you use a cabinet. The whole review is moot. Overclocking should be tested under real conditions. hmm.. unless you are doing the extreme sports of overclocking.

OP
darklord

darklord

Cyborg Agent
That's what i get with my 8800GTS SLI in 3DMark06 with my C2D E6600 at 3.4.I wish i had a quad.
Which PSU did you use??Those are some really nice scores.
And the ram how did you source them.
I was about to go for the 2900XT sometime ago but had to drop the deal when i found that it cost Rs 25k.The GTS cost just a bit less.
In 3DMark06 the CPU score is more than the GFX 2.0 and 3.0 score.Wow that's some overclock.
I used Seventeam ST 600EAD 600W PSU.
I got the RAM from US.

Why didn't you use a cabinet.
Because i didnt want to :rolleyes:

The whole review is moot.
As in ? :confused:
Overclocking should be tested under real conditions
Who says so ? Is there a rule or something ? And what exactly do you mean by real conditions ? Whats 'UNREAL' about my setup ?:rolleyes:

unless you are doing the extreme sports of overclocking.
Extreme sports of overclocking ? whats that ?

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
Using a dice in a closed chamber is not a possibility. Besides this D-ice can't be used with a daily use coz its gonna cost really much and u gotta see everytime if u run out of ice.
There is a permanent solution but thats gonna hit ur electricity bill hard (LN2)!

Though its a point that overclocking should be in real conditions but with that kind of overclocking u gonna hire someone who can pour ice every time u start ur system! And the main problem is the proper isolation so that there will no be any water droplets to destroy your harware.

I m really impressed with dark lord's benchmark because he used something which is something easily available in INDIA and everything is a moderate one. On web whenever u seek web u only see highest possible config.
I also like that he used a 600 W PSU whereas with that kind of benchmark, they use either 750W or above.
I 'de love to see some overclocking with the CORSAIR PC-6400 and PC5300 and mid-level extreme overclocking!

Great work mate!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
darklord

darklord

Cyborg Agent
keith_j_snyder2 said:
Using a dice in a closed chamber is not a possibility. Besides this D-ice can't be used with a daily use coz its gonna cost really much and u gotta see everytime if u run out of ice.
There is a permanent solution but thats gonna hit ur electricity bill hard (LN2)!

Though its a point that overclocking should be in real conditions but with that kind of overclocking u gonna hire someone who can pour ice every time u start ur system! And the main problem is the proper isolation so that there will no be any water droplets to destroy your harware.

I m really impressed with dark lord's benchmark because he used something which is something easily available in INDIA and everything is a moderate one. On web whenever u seek web u only see highest possible config.
I also like that he used a 600 W PSU whereas with that kind of benchmark, they use either 750W or above.
I 'de love to see some overclocking with the CORSAIR PC-6400 and PC5300 and mid-level extreme overclocking!

Great work mate!!!!!
There is a permanent solution but thats gonna hit ur electricity bill hard (LN2)! --- > :confused: Didnt quite get you there. What does LN2 have to do with Electricity ? LN2 is also not viable for daily usage just like DICE. LN2 = Liquid Nitrogen, i hope you know that.

And the main problem is the proper isolation so that there will no be any water droplets to destroy your harware. ----- > You were trying to say insulation right ?

@ Keith, that 600W Seventeam is a high underrated unit ;) You will know why i say that in a few days time :D

You want some clocks on DDR2 800 RAM, so be it. Will post some benchmarks very soon ;)

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
Ok now let me check that again:
Back in 2005-2006 Gainward, did a benchmark using 7800 GTX in SLI. They didn't used LN2 or Dry ice instead they used a setup like u possibly have seen in your AIR CONDITIONER, thats right ammonia ( used in refrigerators, Ac's etc.- thats what i was told by my AC vendor) and score maximum score which no other company was able to achieve at that time (18000 Marks in 3D mark 05)!! I know LN2 and D'Ice don't use electricity and it is poured in the copper chamber and yes i was saying Insulation but i used other words or rather say un-conventional words for the insulation.

I am shocked to see that u are saying the PSU as an underrated but it does what it's supposed to do, which is a good thing, and we 'de love to see other benchmarks on this kind of underrated PSU, because as i said earlier that most of the benchmarkinfg is done over 750 W xtreme type of PSU. This is because 600 W could be considered as a mainstream PSU, and there are barely anybody who love to have a monster PSU like that.

I 'de rather like to see a 667 MHz RAM overclocked instead of 800 Mhz!

Lastly, i wanna thank u in pointing out my miserable facts and updating me with the proper information.

OP
darklord

darklord

Cyborg Agent
No problem mate.

667 MHz Ram, alright, i will need to see if i have some kits still lying around.

Well i say underrated because, It handled mildly overclocked 2900XT [known to be a power hungry card] and Overclocked Quad [which gulps power at high clocks]
Also for 600W, it has 4 Nos. +12V Rails, which is usually seen in PSUs rated 700W and above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom