A Very Strange Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

satyamy

Alive Again...
I have 4 Pc's in My Office

1) P4 HT 3.0Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 915 MOBO (WinXp_SP2, CorelDraw, Photoshop, CA eTrust EZ Antivirus etc.)

2) P4 2.8, 1GB RAM, 845 MOBO (WinXp_SP2, CorelDraw, Photoshop, CA eTrust EZ Antivirus etc.)

3) P4 2.4, 512MB RAM, 845 MOBO (WinXp_SP2, CorelDraw, Photoshop, CA eTrust EZ Antivirus etc.)

4) P4 1.8, 128MB RAM (Win98, CorelDraw, Photoshop, CA eTrust EZ Antivirus etc.)

Every thing was working fine till Jan 2006but after a few months when my new AMC'c engineer came prob started. My Problem is when i work in CorelDraw it take 3 min to open a small file of size 100kb even it takes more than 2min to open a New Page, and also copying & pasing takes more than 5 minPhotshop work normal, but not work as fast as it should to be

When i do any process first my CPU uses goes to 100% for 2-3 min after that within a sec it get back to normal & new file get open.My engineer says that my pc's are old so they are behaving like this

Now i bought a New Laptop (HP Pavillion, 1.8, 512MB RAM)it also has the same prob from the very first dayi know the prob is with my eng. & not with my computers,But one thing i want to know where is the probDo the problem is with his WinXP Cdor with his Corel, Photoshop Softwareor his antivirus giving me probDo any one have any ideaPls help....................

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
I think your laptop is infected by virus. Install avast! anti-virus, update its definitions and scan full system in 'Thorough Scan' mode. Also use start-up manager and disable unnecessary start-up programs. This should solve the problem.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
It doesnot matter whether you are connected to internet or not for system to get infected by virus. Many a times the softwares loaded by the dealers itself is infected by virus. Last week when I went for loading Microsoft Corel draw, my avast! threw out many warning of virus from the source! This is my personal experience. Believe me...jus scan and let me know!

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
that is an engineer's stock excuse. Just check if dma's enabled on your disks.

Your laptop need not connect to the internet. Just if it is connected by lan to your older sys will make it vulnerable. Run and antivirus and an anti spyware scan stat on yours systems.

mediator

Technomancer
Dont mind, but most PC repairers,engineers etc who come to check ur pc are fools! They either tell u to upgrade ur PC or reformat the xp or if ur PC is working fine, they make it perform miserably so that u call em again and fill their pockets! Experience!!

Neways can u elaborate what ur engineer dude did?? if u have system restore service ON,automatic, then u can revert back to good old happy times! They might have introduced some new memory hogging startup programs on ur PC. MIght have re-installed norton, cause thats the only anti-virus most of em know. Neways ur system,application logs wud be helpful to detail the activites and apps installed since that day ur engineers came!
POst em here!

shaunak

Tux Fan
mediator said:
Dont mind, but most PC repairers,engineers etc who come to check ur pc are fools! They either tell u to upgrade ur PC or reformat the xp or if ur PC is working fine, they make it perform miserably so that u call em again and fill their pockets! Experience!!
Exactly my thoughts. The only soln they have is the legendary "format everything" or "your pc is too old".
Sometimes the engeeners fill the virtual memory tab to absurdly high values thinking tyhey will get a performance boost.
The problem could be due to improperly alocated virtual memory. check it. it should be a max of 1.5 thimes your physical memory.

guru

Broken In
I agree with gursimran.

First try to upgrade your antivirus. If that doesn't work.

Format your Machine.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Satyamy, The CPU usage goes to 100% due to following reasons:

1) You are using a very CPU-intensive program ( PhotoShop is not CPU-intensive)
2) Your PC is infected with 2 or more viruses, Since viruses are memory-resident they
corrupt programs, make them run slower, CPU usage fluctuates between 8% to 100%etc.,
If there are more viruses present. Then CPU usage is 100% constant!!
3) You are running some background task like file indexing software like Copernicus
Desktop Search or similar program.

In your case your PC is infected by virus (maybe more than one). So formatting your PC
is the best option. Also you don't need to connect to the Net to be infected by a virus.
Just a infected floppy or CD is good enough to infect your PC!!

Last edited:
hey you might use some other progs working in background....... Try closing your Anti Virus and use your software and even if this happens your computer is infected...... Update your anti virus and scan deeply your hard drive....

OP
satyamy

satyamy

Alive Again...
I reformatted all of My PC, reinstall of software, drivers, anti's.....
They are now running fine, But the prob is
Whenever i open my old files it takes a lot of time
If i create any new file, their is absolutely no prob,
the prob is only with my old data
i cannot loose my data
it is more than 200 gb's, last 10yrs data

Are all of my Files have been corrupted or wht
Than I take one file on CD & gone to my friends place & tell him to open that
I takes a lot of time their also

If u need i can send u some files for testing

Let me tell you what i did
I Format My Pc
Re partitioned it NTFS
Install WinXP_SP2
Than Installed Norton System Works 2005 one 1 PC, AVG on 2nd, EScan on 3rd (Just to know that is their prob with my old anti or not)
Than My Scanner & Printer
Than Instal CorelDraw
Than Photoshop
Than Acrobat Reader
Than Office XP
Than Nero
and Completed

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
old files!!!!

some problem with your hard disk. Tried running defrag or scandisk? But again, your friend has the same problem. What file is it? msword or excel. check if there are any unwanted macros in the file or in normal.dot.

Are your old files clean? I mean they might be still infected. Can you backup your files to a cd or something, completely reformat and setup your system and ask your av scan the cd?

Try posting a few files here for testing.

OP
satyamy

satyamy

Alive Again...
All of My Files are Made in a Software Called CorelDraw 12
I even tried to open it in CorelDraw 13 but no use their also it take a lot of time
Tommorrow i'll post some file to u for to test
Do any one has Mac. or Linux PC with CorelDraw software so that i can know if their my files works normal or not

konstAnt

Broken In
The problem may be that there may be too many fonts installed or colors installe d in the computer... First try disabling all the antivirus softwares and then delete some font files and try starting Corel Draw... Or try reinstalling corel Draw.. Remember dude eZ Trust is a good antivirus. But not the best you can use avast... And I hope you problem'll be solved.Is you whole computer going slow or not?????

OP
satyamy

satyamy

Alive Again...
@konstAnt
Dude i have putted all my data on a CD
refrormatted all of my HDD completely, repartitioned it & than just install my OS & CorelDraw
copied 2-3 files on my HDD & tried to open but still it give a very very long time to open a little files
Now My PC is working fine all other softwares are also working fine,
if i make a new file than it also works fine in CorelDraw
only my old files are creating a prob.
I scanned my files with some software to identify whether it is gone corrupt or some error but all soft. says they are fine
Than why my files are creating a prob
I know that their is some error in my old files only
Do u have any idea how to repair a corrupt file of CorelDraw........?
Or do u have Mac or Linux PC, so that i can give u some files to test.....
Pls help.............
If anybody wants to test my files pls give me ur email ID so that i can mail u some files
Pls help........?

Last edited:

chandrashekhar

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

In fact I am facing similar problem of long duration of opening files on CD 12. I am yet to try the formating of hard disk and reinstalling os and cd 12. Meahwhile can u try exporting your CD artworks file to cmx and import them into new file and try to open the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom